1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,

What I don't understand is if it's drawing such high wattage, where's the heat? I'm still only hitting 42-43C encoding at 4.2GHz.

As far as the Intel/AMD clash, everybody needs to give it a rest. Everyone has made their point, and knows the score, so enough! Please take it to the other Building thread. This thread is about AMD, not Intel!

Sam,

Both AMD 8 cores are 125w. Not 140!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

agreed on the Intel/AMD clash, not on this site.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Latest Benchmarks with the NorthBridge frequency set at 2600MHz and the HT Link Frequency at 2600MHz. That's 5200MT/s on a 4000MT/s chip.

3.6GHz, 5200MT/s DDR3 G.Skill RipJaws 1.5v 1333GHz Cas 7, GigaByte AM3+ 990XA-UD3 motherboatd. Phenom IIx6 1090T BE.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm pleased with it!

Russ

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

But 140 is what they use, including the chipset. Last I heard the 990FX was meant to have about a 15W TDP, so that sounds about right.

Nothing really to do with an Intel/AMD clash, Russ disputes claims made about the Bulldozer, whereas I'm insisting that they're accurate.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    You've spoken your peace and I've spoken mine. We've wound up disagreeing on some things so there's nothing more to say. You've had your say, and we would like to discuss what's going on with AMD without hearing about Intel and how great they are. Enough! Please take that conversation over to the PC Building thread. If people want to follow you and discuss it over there fine, but we want to discuss AMD here. If you want to contribute to the conversation, staying on topic, that's OK, but I want the Intel commercial to be over with right now! We've heard enough!

Thank You,
    Russ

6. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

Russ, mate, relax, Sam has been talking about amd vs amd here. You have been missing the points of same posts and are misinterperating what he says on a constant basis. Then you get all worked up. I'm sorry I'd that was harsh, but whether sams right or wrong about what he says its clear and you muddle the respone making it impossible to follow the thread.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, the FX-8150 is just as much a sales case for the Phenom II X6 as it is for the Core i5/i7. To anyone who wants an upgrade from an X4, the X6 has been firmly cemented as the route of choice, with the failure of Bulldozer.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I won't comment on 8150 further. All cards are on the table. Well.... ok, perhaps one more time. Sometimes we have to take one small step backwards, to move forward. As the future will show. Or at least I firmly believe it to be so :p But! We'll see. I could just be full of sheet!

Sam, which X6 are you speaking of? Remember there's more than one. Fx-6100 or 1090t? The FX-6100 appears to be less power hungry, and updates are probably on the horizon ;) I have an AM3 board, so there's no debate for me. 1090t is the clear option. AM3+ currently holds no options for me, except a power hungry processor, for little gain in X264. Even if AMD/microsoft grace the internet with an update, I really don't know if I'll be upgrading next year. Even if 8150 were to cut my encodes in half, I don't see myself upgrading. Even i7 extreme isn't enough to tempt my hand. Perhaps I'm simply really disappointed. Honestly though, I don't even know if I'm gonna get ALL of my tax return. Time will tell. You know how it goes. Sometimes we get an upgrade itch, and we can't help but scratch it 8)

Once I have 1090t, the only real weak point in my hardware array, is my Graphics card, and a weak point and shoot camera :p I'm currently raising funds for 1090t.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I said the Phenom II X6, so that means specifically the 1055/1090/1100T, and not the FX-6100. The FX-6100 does use less than the X6 1100T, but only 9W less, which isn't a great deal, and given the poorer performance of the FX CPU, they still come out worse off. The FX-6100 is nowhere near as bad a chip as the FX-8150 fortunately, but it's still overpriced at $190, when the superior 1100T is the same price.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Superior for now :p

Windows 8! Where are you??? LOL! We really need it, at the very least to shut me up. I'm gonna feel really silly if the performance increase is less than 5% :S

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

(It will be less than 10%, I can almost guarantee you that)

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

How do you come to that conclusion?

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'll say it again. I'm rather disappointed as of late. I won't be upgrading for a while LOL!
    I'll watch the guinea pigs for a while ;)

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'll also point out this isn't an AMD-specific change that's being made in Windows 8, simply that the OS deals with multi-core processors better. It's conceivable that quad core CPUs will receive a smaller increase as well, from both sides - and so too will the Phenom II X6.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sounds logical. I'll definitely be playing with the windows 8 beta for sure. I just hope that most of the stuff I've heard, is untrue. It sounds like it was aimed at tablet users. But I also heard it can change modes. E.g. look more like windows 7. But who knows, if I ever get a touch screen, I could be into a new design. I heard that windows 8 is even smarter than '7' about memory usage. If that's true, kudos!

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There are some worrying reports about Windows 8's interface. It doesn't sound like it's going to be very desktop-friendly. A fair few people have spotted the trend between decent and poor OSes from Microsoft - 98/Me/XP/Vista/7/8 would mean 8 fits in the 'poor' category - a totally baseless comment, but who knows. I suspect a lot of people will be keeping 7 for a while.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I have that feeling as well. I guess we'll see.

19. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Having personally tried it myself I can say Windows 8's interface needs some work. You can indeed change modes to make it more like Windows 7, but it still leaves out some basic functionality that actually made Windows 7 NICER to use than previous OS's. Windows 8 will be amazing for mobile devices that much is true, but I can see most hanging onto Windows 7 as it will likely become the next Windows XP in terms of longevity. Windows 8 does perform a bit better, but the the losses of basic functionality and usability will likely overshadow the negligible benefits. Unless they make some major changes to how the OS works, there will be problems. Navigating to basic items like Program Files or start menu folders is preceded by several full screen dialogs and button clicks where you used to simply hit start and click on it. You also lose the basic ability to Search from the start menu, which I personally use every day to find control panel items and start odd programs. Instead it pulls up a full screen dialog you can't avoid, and the only search you can make is a deep scan of every file on the PC. And then you have to tab over to the "applications" search tab instead of simply having separate searches altogether for different things.

In short, it takes all the streamlining that actually sold Windows 7 to power users and throws it out the window. It's dumbed down plain and simple with everything unified into a single interface. This may be great for tablets and mobiles, I'll even go so far to say that it's very nicely set up for those uses. But it takes a lot of the flexibility and power out of the traditional Windows interface and it doesn't offer any real benefits in return.

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I eagerly await windows 7 service pack 2 then LOL!

Or at least good updates...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011