1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I am so sorry I live in Florida! Running the air conditioner over the holidays seems like such a waste of power, but it's just too warm. See you (figuratively speaking)in a new year. HLG

2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I went to Lorne Ave Elementary School in east London, Lived 529 Rectory St 1/2 a Blk off Dundass.. But my folks left London some 50 yrs ago. I went back 4 a visit when I was 15 but that's the last I've seen of it. So more then likely we never met, unless U know a guy name Pat McGein and R in your 60's

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Actually I've visited pretty close to York. I paid a visit to Cottingley in 78! Beautiful country there! And no, I wasn't looking for Fairies! LOL!!

Russ

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Phenom II News for All!

http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/605184/amd-phenom-ii-unveiled.html

Stable 6GHz on LN2 running two iterations of Crisis Demo. A first for Team AMD. Stable 3.94GHz, same conditions on air

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=hPDAL6BH_RU

Damn! This is getting exciting, and it's not even out yet! One idiot actually told me that the price for phenom II will have to be about $200 lower to compete with i7 in Price/Performance, and was laughing pretty good about it until I pointed out that it would be true, aside from the fact he didn't include the price of the MB and DDR3 memory needed to make the i7 work at all! He came back with The i7s will mop the floor with the Phenom II, till I pointed out that at 2 to 3 times the cost for i7, the Phenom II doesn't have to worry about i7. It only has to be competitive with the Yorkfields and overclock well!

Some more good news!
    Phenom II will be backwards compatible with some socket AM2 motherboards, via a bios flash. With the approaching AM3 Phenom, it will be backwards compatible with some AM2 MBs and most AM2+ MBs via a bios flash! It will run with either DDR2 or DDR3. Another plus!

The cheapest I could put together a Core i7 940 was $1162.30, including tax and shipping. The Phenom II 940 is $569! That included a GigaByte (because it was the cheapest X58 that Newegg had)GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard for $209.99, 6GB GeIL Tripple channel Kit, Cas 6 DDR3 (no one is going to spend this kind of money and buy Cas9!)!

Even if you went as cheap as you could get with an i7 920, 6GB Cas 9 1333 Triple channel kit and the cheapest X58 MB you can get, it still came to $773.18. If you already have an AM2+ computer, then an upgrade to a Phenom II 920 or 940 will be right around $270/$400. Add another $100 for a Biostar TA790GX A2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX motherboard and you're looking at about $470/$550 total! That would be my choice, the Phenom II 940 with a 790GX MB! Want to add 4GB (2x2GB) of 1066 Cas 5 memory, there's lots available for under $50, so it's right around $525/$600 vs $773/1162 for the i7s. I suppose you could get cheaper, higher latency memory and save a few more bucks on the AMD, but why? ROFLMAO! It's far cheaper to upgrade even with good memory! Lots of upgrade options available Too! Stay Tuned Kiddies!

Enjoy,
    Russ

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Originally sent by Spaul40

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Looks like for once AMD isn't doing their usual Vaporware routine! LOL!! Looks like there will be a 920 and a 940 available on the 8th! Judging by what I've seen a few people have gotten their hands on one, and they seem to be pretty good gamers. I wouldn't bother with anything less than a 790G chipset MB for the Phenom II though!

Happy New Year,
    Russ

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

OT for a moment. ;)

[​IMG]

May the new YEAR be good for AMD as well as the other favorites of the computing community. :)

....gm

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I truly do hope that things will improve with AMD because we all benefit. Without AMD we would all be sporting P4's and complaining about the heat.

[​IMG]

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I just laid out my new build!

[​IMG]

I'm going to go with the 95w Athlon 7750 2.7GHz AM2+ Dual core w/B3 Stepping, instead of the 45w 5050e because it supports 1066 memory and gives me all the features that are in in an AM2+ 790GX MB. The MB has the Dedicated 1333MHz sideport memory for the HD3300 graphics plus all I'll need once the Phenom II gets sorted out. I could build something cheaper, but I'm looking to the Future. Should be a nice machine. I'll order a pair of AD-7200a Sony/Optiarc burners for $50 and get my Sceptre fixed for $75 and I should be good to go. I already have a 250GB Hitachi HDD!

My planned build above wound up surprising me. I saw the 7750BE for only $80 and started doing some research. With the advantages of the AM2+, I get the Advanced clock Calibration (ACC) and The AMD overdrive, so it should OC better with less voltage. It's the only Athlon x2 that is AM2+. That's why I had to go for it. I just found a Cooler master Cavalier case like mine, new for $68 with T&S, so I may pass on the Lexa Blackline. I love my case, and if they have it a few weeks from now, I'll go for it instead. Got to save money where you can! LOL!! These next few weeks are going to go by so slowly! ROFLMSOAO!!

Here's a review from Extreme overclocking. It looks like the 7750BE is getting mugged until you realize that two of the 3 competitors are Quads.
    http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/processors/AMD_Athlon_X2_7750_BE_1.html
    It should do very well for my needs. It seems to reach 3.3GHz with ease, and some time spent along with the learning curve I need for AMDs, it should see 3.4 to 3.5 GHz if I even choose to overclock it. It will give me something fun to play with till the phenom II gets sorted out. Then it just takes a bios flash, and I'll be hitting on all 4 cores! LOL!!

I know I wanted an HTPC, but this is just too good to turn down!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  11. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Edit:I mixed up this thread with another, sorry.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

13. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

the one without the rebate has usb and esata connectors.

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

krj15489...Would there B an advantage to SATA & USB? If any

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

eSATA is more than double the speed of USB2.

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

just out of curiosity doesnt the AMD chips require more power/volts/watts? to run ?

17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

sammorris..R U familiar with this type of HDD Enclosers. If so R they reliable
    Is anybody FAMILIAR

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2009
  18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've never used them, somebody around here raves about them, but I prefer the more secure methods of attaching drives. I just have my paranoia about knocking something like that over.

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I've got both 2 SATA & 2 IDE internal, 4 the life of me I can't really tell the difference in the speed in transfering or encoding. Is their really much difference in the 2, cause I can't see it.
    One thing I've found with SATA as(Master)and IDE as Slave or Cable Select, if I have problems and have to use my XP DVD. If I don't disable my IDE in(C Mos) they are recognized B4 my SATA is, which I find really strange

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Newer S-ATA drives are faster than IDE drives ever were but that's because the drive technology has advanced, it has nothing to do with the interface. Only Velociraptors or SSDs would be bottlenecked by the IDE interface.