1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

The only drives I use R the Samsung & Seagate sold by Newegg
    Both of which seem to B of good Quality..with good Warranty
    Samsung was the 1st I used until Seagate came out with their 5yr warranty

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2009
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Which will soon be a thing of the past, if it isn't already. Not a good sign to be honest, there's no reason for a company to turn its back on a loyalty programme unless it's because they're experiencing more failures. The only brands of hard disks I would consider suspect in quality are Maxtor and Hitachi. Given that Maxtor were taken over by Seagate a fair while back they haven't produced anything new in ages so there's no real reason to buy them (Yes, they are still Maxtors underneath)

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I used WDs for years, switched to Maxtors and then switched to Seagate for the price and warranty. I've only had one Seagate failure, and that was the one FedeX through about 60 feet into my front yard! LOL!! I have an Hitachi Deskstar as my second drive, and I like it's speed, but it can be a bit noisy at times, although far less since I moved it back a hair to keep it from coming in contact with the front fan! my bad! LOL!! :) I don't hear that "Bonking" noise anymore! I bought the very first HDD Samsung ever made and all the reviews indicated it was poor at everything. Funny thing about that is it turned out to be second to only the WDs of the day in real world performance. That's the funny thing about benchmarks! They don't always work out to be the best answer as to performance! LOL!! :)

Russ

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So far so good on no Seagate failures, but the noise is a bit of a pain. In any PC they're clearly audible over the others, especially with the 'chirp' glitch the 7200.10 750GB has.

5. spamual

spamual Guest

maxtors are seagates with stickers slapped on..... nothing less...

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    It must be only the larger capacity drives then because I have two 160GB Seagates in Oxi, and they are dead silent and only audible if you put your ear against the case or have the cover off. Even then I almost have to put my head inside to hear them!

Russ

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

theonejrs..Same with my 500gig Seagates, very quiet. I wish they kinda had that click that Maxtors used to have sometimes its hard 2 tell if they R really working

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It all depends on where the drive is located. The vast majority of PC systems have too much fan noise to cover what the hard disks make. I tested my PC, and without any hard disks plugged in, there is to all intents and purposes, no fan noise, i.e. the only thing audible more than 10 inches from the system is the bearing in the PSU fan, which is still hardly what you'd call loud. Without the general roar of case fans, even if it's still very quiet, the noise of hard disks punches through, when you don't have acoustic padding in your case. Some of you may remember back to older PCs when hard disks were much noisier, I'm typically thinking about those beige plastic desktop-form factor boxes, they had a very machine like whine to them, courtesy of the 5400rpm disks. The 7200.10 Seagate is still the same in that regard, and that's very annoying for a start. It's grinding seek noise is not as bad as a Raptor (thankfully), but I got four of the drives in my fileserver seeking at once, and the Seagate was still clearly heard over all of them.
    Once you effectively silence one component in a PC, you then become sensitive to the rest, in my case this is HDDs!

On the subject of noise, off topic still, I found the following quote on the SPCR site and thought it was hilarious:

Oh and with regard to Maxtors and Seagates, the commonplace Diamondmax 11 (produced after the takeover) is still a Maxtor drive. The more recent, but more rare Diamondmax 21 is a Seagate. In any case, Maxtor now seem to have been relegated to the external market.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Only recently, they used to make their own drives to the disservice of those who purchased them.

My preferences are generally Seagate and WD, but I've also used Samsung and Hitachi drives from time to time. The only time I hear a noisy drive is in my wife's computer that tells me that she's filled it to near it's limit and hasn't defragged it in a along time.

10. spamual

spamual Guest

i did mean after the take over.....

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rick,
    If you click on something and nothing happens, you will know then! LOL!!

Russ

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha, that sounds like the tired voice of experience! :D

Shaff, notice that the Diamondmax 11 came out after the merger, yet was still a Maxtor drive, not a Seagate. Overall, Maxtor drives that are actually Seagates are rare.

13. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

I thought you were going with the 4850e CPU. BTW, I cannot find any info on the 5050e on the AMD website. I wonder if they discontinued it?

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's still on sale at newegg... :S

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sytyguy,
    I was going with the 45w 4850e, but the price dropped on the 45w 5050e, so that's what I was going to get, until I noticed the the new 7750 Black Edition was only $80 and it was the only Dual Core AMD makes that an AM2+ chip. All the rest are just AM2! With the 790G MB, I get everything needed for the Phenom II, and an unlocked multiplier 2.7gHz chip to do a little learning with. Now Bigwill68 has found the media center case I want for only $68, instead of the $129 newegg wants, and the 380w Earthwatts unit that comes with the Antec case will be fine for my use, as I won't need a video card! It also makes it easier on the finances for me

Finding anything on AMD's website is an exercise in futility! It would be easier to lead a marching band through a minefield at midnight on a moonless night! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

I guess you didn't see my previous post, that the case is backordered, so call before going down there. It is a shame they don't mentioned that fact on their website.

Thanks, and yes I knew that, but wanted more info on that CPU.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sytyguy,
    I found reviews for both the 5050e and the 7750 black Edition in the same review from LegitReviews. Interesting! I wouldn't bother with any motherboard but the 790G. The others lack the features of the AM2+ with the ACC and the AMD Overdrive. nVidia and Intel chipsets are not the best solution at all, especially if you are planning the jump to the Phenom II like I am. In fact both the Intel x38 and the nVidia chipsets lag far behind using the older Phenom IIs. Second place wasn't even close. I know nVidia was really pissed off losing to the 790G so badly! Neither can compete with the HD3300 Graphics of the 790G. Interesting reading!
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/850/1/

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I can't believe for a minute that Intel would make a chipset for AMD processors. Did you perhaps mean VIA? Using X38 confuses me further.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Opps! My bad! LOL!! They had so many different combination's, I just blew it! ROFLMSOAO!! Interesting review though! much more thorough than the last one. The lady that's buying mine ran into a problem and won't have the money till the end of the month, bummer! She's a long time good friend, so I'm not concerned. She even was nice enought to let me go ahead and sell it if the opportunity comes along before then. I know she really needs it though, and I gave her a great price!

Russ

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Interesting review indeed, the Excel results page kind of shocks me. To think my PC can do something in 4 seconds that takes a better Athlon X2 than I had 35 is quite something. Sometimes you forget what you have in the pursuit of increasing performance.