1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. navskin

navskin Regular member

hey pepps i am back now after the holidays but been reading some intresting thing that you have been posting about the phennom II.
    my question what is the hightest ever clock speed on a 5000+ because i got mine running sweet at 3.9ghz. on air with the temps around 35 on idle and underload around 55. are them safe.

thanks navskin#

Edit: but some times it dose become unstable.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

What would be a definition of unstable

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

so the PII 940 is a locked CPU? how does one go about unlocking it? reading that article Russ posted they OC'd that cpu to 3.8ghz using the overdrive utility.
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-phenom-ii-x4-920-and-940-review-test/6

isn't 1.44v kinda hi voltage?
    looking at the specs for the 940 its identical to the E8400 except the 125w the 940 requires and the E8400 only requires 65w. other than haven 2 more cores i don't see where it can compare to a intel quad, when stat wise it is the same as a E8400.(not counting the extra 2 cores).

don't think I'm down playing the 940 cause for the price of it and the 790GP board it is a steal of a build. I'm just looking at the numbers and 2+2 in this case don't =4. am i looking at this wrong? someone please in form me.
    $279 for the 940 and $299 for a Q9550(EO) not much a difference there(maybe get another ODD with the saved $20)

once again as for OC'ing the PII 940 amd tells you,
    "If you decide to start an overclocking session with the Phenom processor; typically you are better off with the BE editions (CPU multiplier unlocked), and the combo of an AMD 790 FX/GX based mainboard"

is this the combo they are referring to?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103471
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128352

the board has the onboard ATI Radeon HD 3300 gpu. is this a good gpu? cna you addon your own/another card?

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

940 is a Black Edition, it's multiplier is unlocked!

There are other 790GX motherboards. That one just happens to work better with the Phenom II 940 than other 790GX motherboard at this time. The voltage is kind of high at 1.44v. Others with the same MB and CPU have gotten as high as 4.3GHz with only 1.325v! It compares to many other CPUs, not just the E8400, and the 8400 would only beat it in single and dual threaded applications. That being said, the 7750 black edition would perform about the same as the E8400 too, and it's a Dual Core! The performance, is what it is! I know Sam "loves" car analogies, but does anybody buy a car because it's the fastest! Comfort and cost comes in as well, and the AMD's are much more comfortable to use than the Intel. You develop a rhythm with the computer that's more relaxing and less stressful. Much smoother too. Anybody with an AM2 or AM2+, with a 64x2 in it can tell you that! I don't even plan to overclock mine much, except to do some testing, just to try and learn more about the platform. Most times it will be running at 3.0GHz, so I can compare the 7750BE to the 3.0GHz x4 940BE at the same speed when I get a phenom II 940BE AM3. In the DS4H, I'll get to do it all over again, using what I learned with the 300MHz overclocked x2 7750BE. Sounds like a plan to me!

As far as the video goes there's a number of options. You can use the On-board graphics, a stand alone video card, add an HD4350 for Hybrid Crossfire, or two say, HD 4850s in CrossfireX. The On-board graphics are better than many stand alone video cards can produce, and makes it pretty ideal for an HDMI/Media center PC. The On-board video is stunning, on any monitor I've tried it on, so far! I have no idea how it makes the graphics so much better in the non-HD resolutions, but think "Things you've never seen before"! A thoroughly enjoyable experience for me!

Russ

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

isnt that most of everything right now though? not to many quad apps out right now.

dont mean so sound dumb here but just what do you mean by the amd being smoother? ive never had a AMD so i dont know . does it load faster?

so that onboard GPU it is alot better than our 7600gt?

6. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sorry, what?

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

404 not found.

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Seems like a good deal. One wonders why their site is identical to TigerDirect's...

12. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

I've noticed that also. In fact, Tigerdirect has the same item with the same item number. They must be connected.

13. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I had to double check that post also. We know TheOne likes his AMD but this sounds like romantic love...Enough to turn the old floppy disc into a solid state hard drive, so to speak..now thats a true fanboy LOL.

And yes Global is a Parent/Brother company to Tiger Direct.

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

sytyguy..GlobalComputer, TigerDirect, CompUSA, All the same company, All ship out of the same Warehouse. Forget who bought who out, but as of now their are only CompUSA Retail stores in Florida. Their plan is to progress from here slowly. But if U live in Florida & buy from TigerDirect, CompUSA, they will charge sales tax. Buy from Global & no sales tax. Go figure, they still compete for the sale though, I don't know commissions or what

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    [/quote]
    Rob,
    I/O is much faster on an AMD. Programs seem to open much faster. I know I had a youTube video I sent to Russell and on his AMD 4800+ it was loaded and playing before my E6750 was even done loading it. The AMDs seem to boot up XP faster too. I guess I would have to say that it's throughput is better than the Intels!

Yes, the OB GPU is better than our 7600GTs. It's capable of doing full HD graphics with as little as a Sempron 3200+ single core installed in the MB.

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sammorris,
    I can't explain it very well, but it's just things seem to happen faster and smoother on the AMD with a lot less pausing and a lot more doing! I guess this is what people mean when they talk about AMD and real world performance. Even though the intels are faster by the numbers, the overall time spent when doing an Encode, from the start of the program to the finish it's much faster on the AMD than the times DVDRB/CCE report indicate, so from start to finish the actual time spent is not that much different.

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

I know what you are talking about. When i had an x2 3600 everything was very responsive and seemed to load instantly. Then I switched to an e2200 and it was fast but not quite as responsive as the x2 when doing normal stuff. It also booted much faster. i got xp to boot in about 20 seconds and with the e2200 it was higher than that. Thats why I like amd cpus in cheap home builds.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

krj15489,
    That's what i have seen with every 64x2 I've ever used!

Russ

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A couple of things Russ,
    Russell's video would have been run faster due to a better internet connection. The I/O speed of a CPU has nothing to do with how web browser videos load, because they don't require any CPU load in the first place.
    As for the HD3200 being better than the 7600GT, it could potentially be better at HD video due to drivers, but at anything else, the 7600GT is still miles faster.
    I have yet to see this difference with AMDs on any scale that didn't make me think it was the hard disk to blame. All the scenarios you two have listed are purely down to what drivers are installed, and how well the HDD is performing.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Believe me, it's not the Internet connection. His speed is the same as mine as we are on the same Firewall/Router, same browser and everything.

While the 7600GT is much faster, the HD3200 video capabilities are far superior, even at non HD resolutions. I marvel at the picture quality of DVDs, over what my 7600GT can deliver, even on a cheap no-name 16" monitor. The 7600GT doesn't come close to the same picture quality and detail is noticeably better on the HD3200. You would have to be blind, not to be able to notice the difference.

As far as the hard drives go, they all perform about the same, with the WD boot drive on mine being slightly (3Gb/s) faster than his Seagates. While the same DVD took 7 minutes more to Encode with DVDRB/CCE on the x2 2.3GHz 4400+ in the 780G by the totals in DVDRB, the actual time difference between the two computers from the start of the program, to the end of the rebuild was actually about 3 1/2 minutes slower than mine overall. It beat out the faster x2 2.5GHz 4800+ on an nVidia AM2 MB by about 7 minutes. While DVD Rebuilder shows the time difference as 14 minutes, it was really only about 10 minutes! We did these three times and ran the programs simultaneously, and timed them from the launch of DVDRB. That doesn't even take into consideration that my work and output folders are on a separate HDD, which speeds up the re-build process on mine even more! Drivers are not going to account for that kind of difference in real time!

Russ