1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The line quality is what defines the speed of an internet connection, as long as they support the standard, the modem is irrelevant, and to an extent so is the browser as they will be using the same plugin.
    The picture quality on the HD3200 will be much better than the 7600GT, but the actual performance won't be any better, the actual processing power of the 7600GT is far higher than the HD3200.
    I'm afraid I don't understand the second half of your post.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    The internet connections are both 2997 Down and 791 up on a T1 line!

The second half is easy to understand. I have two DVDs of Lost in Space! Starting both computers by launching DVDRB at the same time resulted in the AMD 4400+ finishing the rebuild 3 1/2 minutes slower than my E6750 Intel, in real time! DVD Rebuilder showed 7 minutes difference in program time!

Russ

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Then surely that just shows that the program timer is inaccurate... :S
    As for the video, with a connection of that speed, assuming its usage was equal for the tests, it will be down to server load. A 3 megabit connection is far beyond what is needed to stream a video.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    You may be right about the program timer not being accurate, but only 3 1/2 minutes difference in real time is not a lot, given the difference in clock speeds between the 2.3GHz of the stock 4400+ and the 3.55GHz of the E6750.

The YouTube video I have no idea! Both were run on the same internet connection at the same time, and started at exactly the same moment! Then again, I have had problems with YouTube videos stopping and things like that, where Russell hasn't!

Russ

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Youtube has such a heavy load, it's very variable in speed, I have never seen it use anywhere near my maximum download speed at home on a good connection, it typically maxes out at 180KB/s at best when streaming.
    With regard to the video encode, you will note that AMD CPUs have always scored higher in the MFLOPS sector, consequently, they fare better in certain programs. Additionally, the E6750 being overclocked could wel have crippled its memory bandwidth, which will also slow it down.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

The memory bandwidth, as you can see from this benchmark made last July 30, is not a factor at all!
    [​IMG]

You can't ask for much better than that!

Russ

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Now say this ten times in a row "Very varied very variable."

Video playback is among the most undemanding tasks in existence. The slowest possible processor is more than capable of playing back HD content with even a modest $35 HD capable card. When your're streaming video form Youtube, hulu, or any source the only real variable affecting it is the screen you're watching it on, and Internet speed. That is unless your system truly sucks!!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  8. FredBun

FredBun Active member

How in the hell did I find out about this thread so late, If Russ is in it I want in.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Fredbun,
    I started this thread! Where the heck have you been?? LOL!! I know I told you about it! LOL!!

Russ

10. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Old farts can't remember everything.

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

FredBun.Thats Wrong (Old farts can't remember everything.)Should be Old farts can't remember everything from Yesterday, but everything from yrs ago

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

rick5446,
    Just remember one thing. Tomorrow is only yesterdays today!! LOL!!

Russ

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

And that was Yesterday ! And Yesterdays Gone !
    Just like Tomorrow, it will always be today. and Yesterday is unreachable, just try and go their

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2009
  14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

rick5446,
    Just remember, there will always be a yesterday and a today. Tomorrow will always be an uncertainty!

Russ

15. FredBun

FredBun Active member

LOL, OK Guys, I get the picture, I walked right into that one.

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Tomorrow is what U make of it TODAY

17. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Hey Russ, I know this is off topic, but I didn't want to waste any time I needed to go, that thing you sent me about how fights start, well the part on who wants to be a millionare I was reading it out load and my wife feel of the couch, I'm not kdding.

I laughed so hard my head hurts now, thanks Russ I have to go look for the Advil now.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I laughed a lot when I saw it before, sadly I'd already seen it by the time Russ sent it to me. Right, back on topic please? :)

19. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Well here's some results of amd Phenom II 940 Deneb 3.0GHz in Oc'ing
    [​IMG]

a number of these Oc's are pushing the limits in voltage but...I
    believe it's ok to see what it can do for a short time under stress
    to Pass:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2009
  20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Voltage only becomes a long term issue when it translates into heat at the core. If you look at the chart you will note that many of the high voltage settings are using Phase change and water cooling. Both will allow for higher voltages without quickly frying the CPU. Electromigration will still set in but with proper cooling one is usually looking at years and by then the processor is a museum piece anyway.

Now for a confession. I'm a low voltage high overclock nut. I will take things as high as I think I can and then usually start reducing voltages and speeds to get an ultra stable result. That doesn't mean that I don't leave some pretty high settings because I do, but it means that I will give a little up for even greater stability. case and point is my Q9650 which overclocks easily over 4 GHz and I ran it like that for months, but recently I decided to reduce voltages and clock speed a little so I dropped it to 3.945 GHz. Now the Vcore is at a cool 1.28. The reason for the reduction this time however was that I am using 2 Gb Corsair Dominator modules that were higher than spec and I removed the cooling fans.