1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha, 1.73V...

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    A number of them are pushing their limits in brains too IMO! LOL!! You won't be passing any stress testing at 4.7GHz! It looks like some of them have a lot to learn about the motherboards and all of the adjustments. I've already seen 4.3GHz at 1.525V on air! That's only .025v over the limit of 1.50v. I notice there are no temperatures listed! LOL!! I also have my sincere doubts as to how useful some of those overclocks are. If you can't use the computer every day at those speeds, then what are they good for?

My order goes into Newegg on Friday.

[​IMG]

The price includes everything but the hard drives since I already have both of them (Seagate 160 & Hitachi 250). The MB, CPU and the memory are cast in stone. Everything else can be changed. I haven't ruled out the Antec HTPC/Media center case from MicroCenter yet either! LOL!!
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0265324
    They only have two left in stock at the Tustin store. I doubt if there'll be any left a week from now! If I have to ship it, I'll stick with the Cooler Master! My Widescreen is going into Sceptre next Thursday, for the $75 refurb deal, So I should be set and waiting till I can afford the 430BE! LOL!! The 7750BE (my Training wheels), will do me just fine for now! ROFL!! Total Cost? $525! It's what "I want", so please everyone, spare me the Intel comparisons as I'm not interested!

EDIT:Bigwill, could you switch those pics to the thumbnail view? It's the second one down. It blows up anybodies screen that's running 1024x78, or 1280x1024. Thanks!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  3. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Russ...I'm pretty sure there not using them everyday at those speeds
    but to just to get them to bootup..lol..i'm gonna check into to see if any of them tryed to pass a stress test and see what there temps where if any..lol that is(Xtreme) Sorry about the last post bein so big..I don't wanna cause any problems for people to see..good luck with your build coming up...Sorry to say Russ..i'm gonna stick with a Biostar Build myself..I like there Overclocking features better than gigabyte's sense..I have had the Tpower I45..I fill a Amd board
    will be about the same to each his own..I fill what we all like in parts..I have my amd build ready with a modifyed case nothing special
    just a build to do...Some Parts may come from micro center if need be
    already have enough 120mm and 140mm fans led and black cooler master's..and Grill guards...i need a card reader and another fan controller nothing special

Feburary Build Amd
    need some air flow
    [​IMG]

store bought modify case for free
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Internal 5.25" Drive Bays: 4
    Internal 3.5" Drive Bays: 7
    Motherboard Compatibility: ATX, m-ATX
    Front Ports: 2,USB

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2009
  4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Originally Quoted by Bigwill
    If you plan on a Phenom II in the future, you are spending way too much now. That's why I chose the 7750BE. It's a great overclocker and it's "Cheap"! I can learn the MB and all it's Bells and Whistles, and still be $66 closer to getting a Phenom II 940, which is now $235 with free shipping at the Egg!

As far as the BioStar/GigaByte choice, I've had pretty good success with both, although the Biostar I recently built with the A780G M2+SE, has failed for the second time! Newegg replaced it the first time! I just got an RMA from BioStar, and they have no idea what the problem is! It's again having problems with it re-setting itself, and cold cycle re-boots. The other day it re-booted 5 straight times before it finally came on! I'll stick with Brand G!

Russ

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Russ

The new AMD chips really have shown some growth in performance and overclocking, but Intel has responded by lowering the price on current Core 2 quads as well. A Q9650 (guaranteed EO stepping) is going for $334 at Newegg, and it's going to trounce anything that AMD currently has to offer. I'm cheering for AMD and I suspect that they've got a surprise or two coming up but for now I would still go for the Q9650 which BTW, I paid a lot more for.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115130

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    Looks like I wasn't exagerating about the low price, way back when I thought the Q9650 would be as low as $349, and the Q5550 $299!

I don't care though! I want to do an AMD Build, and what better way to start than with their fastest x2 and see what I can do with it. I can have lots of fun playing and learn some things too! Like I said, the E7750BE, being an AM2+ chip is just "Training Wheels" for the Phenom II! Besides, how many years have I been saying that I want to build a high end AMD? LOL!! Besides, with the economy changing visibly from one day to the next, it might be my last chance to do it for at least a couple of years! "The time has come, the Walrus said, to speak of many things"! It's now or perhaps never!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. spamual

spamual Guest

im thinking of switching to AM3, if i can get the CPU/mobo for a decent price, ie, as much as i can get my my Q9550 and Maximus II Formula.

which ASUS baord would be best?

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

M3A79-T Deluxe! About $50 higher in price than mine!

Russ

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Then do an AMD build, I'm not against it. I will continue to use Intel until AMD catches up. My Q9650 can reencode a BD movie in 4 and half hours or less. The best AMD Quad time that I've heard of for the same movie is greater than 8 hours, and that's my justification for choosing Intel for now. Back when AMD was blowing Intel out of the water for encoding I used AMD, and perhaps one day it will happen again, and then I will use AMD again. The point is that I always go where the power is because it translates into real time saved. If one doesn't need shear encode power then get what turns you on. It's your money!!!

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You can build what you like, and we won't stop you, but er 'high end AMD' - high end AMD maybe, but in the grand scheme of things, lower midrange, really.

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

LOL... not unlike me little friend Jack... strait and to the point. ;)

I agree... build what floats your boat but don't tell me it'll go faster than my boat. :p

....gm

12. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

as far as the cpu russ...i wanted start out with a Quad instead of the dual core Money not the issue with me it comes and goes along as the house is taking care of first... but you got me brother I'll run with a amd Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz for $78.00 and free shipping ...lol

as far the motherboard hav'en had to much luck with Brand G in the passed..when I first got started with Oc'ing thing...I had to take back 2 Ga-p35c-ds3r all because they had issues in the bios and would'en boot right..the third worked but it's back in the box...now...i got a ga-p35-ds3r rev 2.0 running both boards are 4 sale the only two boards that look promising in the intel brand to me right now i would buy is ga-ep45-ud3r or ga-ep45-ud3p now for the amd board issue...I believe Biostar has made inprovement sense the 780 that you had to work with back then to install into the 790 platform..russ..i'm not knock'in you..i just like a change every now and then to try new things out and see how they work for myself another words go with the heart..remember we all don't like the same stuff here but we test what we got to pass the information around to see if others are interested and I'm sticking with Brand B...lol I'll give the results when the build is done...

alright russ re did
    my build
    [​IMG]
    have some of the parts already
    stored

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2009
  13. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

bigwill68 keep us updated on that 790 board,thats the board I'm looking at but, I've been seeing some conflicting reports on.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

bigwill68,
    Back Then?? We are talking within the last 2 months or so. I'm not at all happy that I have to RMA the Biostar 780G board, especially after Newegg already replaced it once!

The 790GX board from Biostar doesn't have some of the features I want for mine. Biostar offers no direct SPDIF connection, either Coaxial or Optical and the 888 chipset is inferior in sound quality compared to the 889A sound chip. I'm not knocking your choice, but it just simply lacks features that I want and use all the time! It's not a matter of trying something different, it's a matter of getting everything I want for my build. Biostar simply doesn't offer what I want in my build!

Russ

15. spamual

spamual Guest

russ is that AM3 (aka DDR3)

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,
    As far as I know there are no AM3 motherboards, as there are no AM3 specific CPUs yet! The current generation Phenom II will only work on AM2+, but the next revision coming will work in both AM2+ and AM3 motherboards, and has both DDR2 and DDR3 memory controllers on chip!

Russ

17. spamual

spamual Guest

ahhh :(

any ETA?

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,
    Nothing but S.W.A.G. comments. I suspect when we start seeing AM3 motherboards for sale, that will be a big hint! LOL!! Right now no one seems to have a definitive answer!

Russ

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Was supposed to be a Westenn Digital, but shows up as an Hitachi HDS722525VLAT80 30 °C (86 °F) IN EVEREST
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822101121
    Most of the responses show it as Western Digital
    Can anybody at AD Confirm what it is
    Is Hitachi & WD affiliated
    I've had nothing but Crappy Luck with Hitachi

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2009
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You're missing a few char.s in that URL.