1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I just called them they confirmed it's a WD

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The model number you have was for a 250GB IDE drive, so I've no idea what happened there. You wouldn't fit four drives in that enclosure, so it must be a spurious reading.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rick,
    The url doesn't work???

Russ

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It does now, he edited it. :)

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

LOL!!
    Newegg was down for about an hour! Even after he edited it, it still didn't work! Works now though!

Russ

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Odd, it worked fine for me, even before you posted...

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I was on Newegg when it went down, about 10:30AM my time! If you went directly to the main newegg.com, the server couldn't be found!

Russ

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I never had that at all, I just got 'this product is not available' - I've been browsing newegg all day... :S

10. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

now russ the feature you my like isn't what..I'm to much worryed about cause...I don't use them (spdif connection)that feature is on the biostar board only in (output) but you can buy that separate part a local micro center for few dollars it has a place to plug 1 in on the board matter a fact 1 came with my TPower I45 board,gigabyte supplies that part with the board and it doe's have in/out feature and for the sound not a big issue...i can add a sound card like a sound blaster card if need be to the board a disable the onboard audio and have better audio features but what's the purpose...now the biostar has the auxiliary power connection for the graphics card right on the board (option to conect) gigabyte don't and it has more usb headers also gigabyte don't we all like own motherboard types for a certain reasons the option you explain earlier..i have on my TPower board s/pdif out x2 & s/pdif in x1 but not the 889A but the 888s is alright with me...
    [​IMG]
    i fill like a lawyer for biostar defencing the product that.i like
    i seem to be the only member here that owns 1and talks about them
    if...i can save alittle at $99 for a TA790GX or $125 for a TA790GX3
    i'm saving a little money from $138 for those two options..one i don't really use and the other..i really can upgrade later if need be to a sound card but that really depends on the Quality of your speakers also...and I believe biostar offer me more oc'ing if not
    amd board atlease in the 775 socket doe's the record shows..i'm not knocking you my friend them are your terms and these are mine..i'm willing to help anybody with a biostar setups on what..i know of the mb's and..i just wanna work together and help out each other out the choice's we make buying these mb's is from research and reviews hoping we gain the like the others did but sometimes jealousy gets in the way and we are ready to knock someone down for there choice
    best of luck on your build Russ hope everything goe's well how you want it and..I will share the info off mine when it's done nexts month...

will

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Biostar have pulled off phenomenal overclocking on Intel, but I've yet to see any board, Biostar or other compare to the DS4H for AMDs. I find it amazing that the top overclocking board has full featured integrated graphics and sound.

12. spamual

spamual Guest

sam any links to its OCing prowess?

as you know me, i <3 asus, and if they have an ROG board for AM3 i might be tempted :D, i want to hit over 4GHz which i cannot do ATM. so i want to compare

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

14. spamual

spamual Guest

3.8. not bad, but that was just 3dmark. anything with IBT/orthos/OCCT etc?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I take it you didn't see the LN scores. I know the CPU cooling is ridiculous, but you still need a good board to pull that sort of thing off.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I've used Biostar quite a bit in the past for customer builds, and they make a good product. The GigaByte DS4H just offers me more in terms of benefiting my planned usage. Since I plan on using the On-Board HD graphics, having 128MB of DDR3 1333 for the Sideport memory makes more sense to me than the Biostar's 64MB and DDR2 1066. One more stage of power regulation (5 vs 4) is better too! I know I can buy the port adapter for the S/PDIF ($14.99), but why spend money when I don't have to? Then there's the Chipset and VRM heatpipe cooling that the Biostar doesn't have. There's also the sound differences! Biostar uses the Realtek ALC888, while GigaByte uses the ALC889A. Not a lot of difference, but the 889A is superior in sound quality and SN/Ratio, which is obviously very important to me, what with my two Theater Pipe Organs and several thousand pipes. As far as the Quality of your speakers goes, your Amp and Speakers can only put out what you put into them to begin with. It's a two way street! Quality in = Quality out!

I'm not sure where you get the more usbs from, but the DS4H gives you a total of 12 to the Biostar's 10, with 4 headers on the MB and 4 ports on the back!

Overall, there are enough differences between the two brands, to make me want to spend more for all the extras I want and get with the DS4H! For me, I think they are worth the extra money!

Respectfully,
    Russ

17. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

thanks you for your opinion that's what counts..i pretty sure that Biostar will be doin some research on keeping up with the competition
    on those features that russ talked about..that's only 2 different points about the two is the s/pdif issue and the audio chipset,but everything else is the same for Oc'ing..I believe that depends on
    cpu maybe i know it doe's with intel batch#'s and i also the memory used just a few of my combo deals below...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ubCategory=22&SortField=0&PageSize=100&Page=1

but..i'm sticking with this 1 here below
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.153839
    or the 790GX3 for $124.99

make eyes are on this memory here
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144212
    but it's G.Skill for now:)

18. spamual

spamual Guest

well yes, but i have seen asus boards being brushed off, after i posted about their OCing abilities, due to LN.....

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Rightfully so, as there's more to it than the maximum potential clock, but this is moreso the case for Intels than AMDs as they suffer far more bus speed limitations.

20. spamual

spamual Guest

so the LN clock for the GB board does count then, but the ASUS doent.... :S