1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

From what I have read, I need to put some heatsinks on those FETs if I'm planning to oc a 125/140Watt CPU in the future but they say..
    I'll be ok running 95w they don't get that hot but it will depend
    on my cooler from the specsheet, the FETs can sustain max Drain current up to 58A @ 25C...but..i wanna be on the safe side when..i do start oc'ing...Gm...I'll keep you posted on the issue

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd sink them if you overclock a 95W chip too. I know not all boards do it, but not all boards are used for overclocking quads :)
    Depends how mad you go with the voltage I suppose, less than 100mV above stock you'll probably be alright, but above that, those Vregs get pretty darned hot.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    IMO the 2/4GB thing is a bunch of nonsense. Will it run better with 2x2 4GB? Yes it will. Will it OC better? No that I've seen. That's been my findings and the findings of other people who I trust to know what they are talking about!

As far as the heatsink fan goes, there's only one to consider!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835129036
    There's no other 40mm fan that can touch it for moving air, running quiet and long life. At $4.99 you might think it expensive, but it's worth the money and you don't have to listen to a screaming fan. I've seen 15,000 rpm 40mm fans that move more air, but it sounds like a jet engine in your computer! At 6.5 cfm@2200 rpm and ball bearing, the Antec will last a long time. Just don't buy a non ball bearing fan, as they won't last out the warranty period, and they are not worth shipping back! Just get some self tapping screws that fit in the fan holes and screw it down in between the fins, dead center on the heatsink and it will do wonders for chipset cooling without having to buy a NB cooler. You might have to squeeze the fins together for a tighter fit where the screws go, but it works like a champ!

As far as the memory voltage goes, that's why I chose the Dominators. At 2.1v they run very cool, and the will run at 1.8v although I don't recommend it! You aren't going to OC 1066 memory very far anyway, more voltage or not! I didn't even bother with the silly fans and the price for them right now is outstanding!

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

first...I don't know how your bank roll is...lol but alot people
    I have talked to refered these boys here are pretty good in the G.Skill
    Class...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231211

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231174

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231226

if your gonna run a 64bit system you should run 2x2 memory that's
    how..i look at it

on the ocz tip alot people refered these jokers here
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227191

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If you're talking about 4X1Gb modules to reach 4 Gb vs 2X2 Gb then it is not a bunch of nonsense. A 4 Gb system with 2X2 Gb modules will overclock better than one with 4X1 Gb modules.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    I believe I said part of that! LOL!! I should have mentioned about all 4 slots populated affecting overclocking though! Thanks for the reminder.

Russ

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    When I first joined AD I asked around and I believe it was Sophocles that recommended Corsair XMS memory. I've never had a bad set yet, and it's handled evey overclock I've done with them. I bought a pair of G.Skill which worked fine for the E4300, but didn't do nearly as well with the 1333 fsb of the E6750. I'll stick with my Dominators!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145214
    No worries about the rebate, but it will take about 10-11 weeks to get it. You can even check on your rebate on Corsair's website. They run cooler than the G.Skill, and I've never had a bad one yet!

Russ

9. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Thanks for the info, now waiting for the two of you to get up and running so new mobo and ram to be ordered as soon As I hear your guys reports. Thats what I love about you guys you can spend my money better than my ex wife! At least it's for me.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I have never had a bad stick of Corsair RAM yet, from:
    2x1GB Value Select DDR1 PC3200 CAS3
    2x512MB XMS2 PC5400 CAS5
    4x1GB XMS2 PC6400 CAS4
    2x2GB XMS2 Dominator PC8500 CAS5

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Russ it was the "No that I've seen" (when you wrote no I assumed you meant not) that lead to the response in my post.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Hmm! I've managed to fry a couple of Corsair modules over the years, but then we're talking about me and as you know I don't just overclock the CPU I go after RAM too. Also I've purchased more modules than I can ever hope to remember. When I go looking for RAM Corsair is usually in my firs search. There are other RAM manufacturers that make good RAM as well but one year they're up and the next they're down. Corsair always seems to stay at the top.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The RAM isn't overclockable in my system, I thought it might be due to the strap limitations but it seems odd that 1056mhz works and 1080mhz fails to boot windows, let alone be stable running it.

14. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

The Biostar board does have spdif connection both input and output.Had both the Gigabyte and Biostar in my hands at Micro tonight. Waiting on the Egg with the Corsair ram, 7750, and Biostar board.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    You were still right though! I assumed too much that everyone would know not to populate all 4 DIMM sockets when overclocking. I will tell you something weird though. When I had my 3.0/800 Prescott running at 3.73GHz, I added 2 sticks of Corsair value select cas 2.5 ram to the XMS Cas 2, ran them all at Cas 2, and it worked fine, without issue at the same speed!

Russ

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Probably because with P4s the overclocks were limited by the rather poor scope of the CPUs, not the Chipset, like Core 2s are.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I'm not sure that that's the reason as I've seen 1066 ram that will run fine at 1066MHz, but won't boot up or even post at 1080MHz. I've also seen some that will run at 1100MHz. Luck of the draw I guess!

Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

True I suppose. Not that it really matters, to get it to beyond 910 I need to drop my CPU speed anyway, or the multiplier doesn't fit.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Chris,
    Which model GigaByte are you talking about. The 790GX I bought only has Optical out!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128352
    You can add a port adapter that plugs into the MB that will give you Optical in and out plus the Coax!

Russ

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As far as I recall, S/PDIF can be Coax or Optical.