1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Very true! My DS3R had both. The optical is better because the Signal to Noise ratio is improved from the source to the amp or vise versa. There's no mechanical or electrical connection involved, just what for all intents and purposes, is a beam of light and not affected any by outside interference. Just a pure, clean infra-red digital signal. The Coax, while good, is only as good as the shielding of the cable and in it's ability to maintain a good chassis ground! It's still affected by things that the Optical can't be affected by.

Russ

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

True. As much as I like my sound quality though, I still prefer Analog for the reliability. Plug it in and it works, rather than spending several hours wondering why you've still only got stereo...

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Hours? I've spent months trying to figure out why the Optical worked at one time, and I never could get it to work, thanks to damn Sony and their useless manual! LOL!! I have mine connected so that I can select all three inputs. That should solve any problems I might encounter.

Russ

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Heads up for all who don't know !
    If you have a USB Keyboard that the F8 Key doesn't work, just push the F-Lock tab above the key-pad before you press the F8 and it will work
    I had this problem and sent back a good board that I thought was Faulty B4 I found this out. Even B4 I found out that a standard keypad worked
    But the F LOCK Cures ALL

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rick,
    What pray tell, is an F Lock tab? I just looked through about a dozen keyboards, and none of them have an F Lock tab??? I've never seen or heard of one!

Russ

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    Sorry for the late reply, I missed the post! LOL!!
    These Mosfet coolers IMO are the best you can buy! Lots of surface area and nothing to hinder airflow at all! They don't trap dust and dirt and cool very well!
    http://www.enzotechnology.com/mos-c1.htm

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

theonejrs: Don't know what too tell ya thier Boss, all I can say is my Pad has a F Lock key Its a Microsoft Black value pack (mouse & keyboard)
    Model # 1031 WOA8D560
    UPC 8 05529 81403 5
    This is what I've got, if U look at the picture you'll see right above the numbers key pad above the Num Lock is the F Lock. But newegg no longer has it.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109139

8. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

This is the board I looked at Micro http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0294660 it had both spdif in & out optical and coaxial.I would've bought it except I already pulled the trigger at the egg.They were selling the hell out of the Gigabyte & biostar boards, with them stocked all over the store a bit cheaper than the egg.Both of my MS boards have the Flock tab up on the right corner as said if not locked in will really mess with your mind.None of my other boards have this though.

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's a Microsoft and logitech media keyboard thing I believe. It disables the F buttons in favour of media buttons instead, with an F lock key to switch between them. Normally the F lock is enabled in windows so you can use the F1-F12 normally, but in the BIOS it's not activated, which is crazy really.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I looked at my M$ Keyboard, and it doesn't have it. Maybe that's what one of the extra two keys are for! LOL!!
    Russ

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rick,
    I got to thinking about this, and if you are installing an operating system and the Keyboard is USB, the Keyboard will work right up to that point where it tells you to press the F8 key on many computers. I have to have a PS2 keyboard to install XP on mine, as there's no way to get past it, and DO NOT PLUG IN THE KEYBOARD WHILE THE COMPUTER IS ON! It will fry the keyboard. Been there, Done that! LOL!!

Russ

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hotplugging PS/2 keyboard doesn't work (i.e. they won't work until you restart), but I've never seen it fry one, I've often plugged them in and rebooted the PC, rather than wait until the PC is off, never caused me any problems.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

My keyboard is USB and wirless and it has been that way for years and I have never had to use any other keyboard to install windows. In fact all my corded keyboards are USB as well.

When windows is first loaded it installs drivers to make USB work and since that is the first act before installing a keyboard isn't need until it passes that point. With some older systems it might be an issue but since XP and on it shouldn't be.

Russ, I plug and unplug PS/2 and USB keyboard all the time when at work because I am in charge of over 200 computers because shutting them down is too time consuming. I've been doing this for years with more PC's than I can hope to remember and I have never had a damaged keyboard as a result of doing it. You probably just had a unfortunate coincidence.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed - also, Legacy USB support in the BIOS cures all. Never had a problem with it since.

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

sammorris: What is !? Legacy USB support in the BIOS
    Where do I find it, How do I instal it

Well I've got a Microsoft USB Keyboard and F8 does not work, if I use a PS/2 it works

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

In your BIOS, usually advanced settings, there should be an option relating to USB peripheral support, enabling mouse only, keyboard only, both or neither.

18. electriac

electriac Guest

spam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2009
  19. electriac

electriac Guest

spam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2009
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think we understood the first time.... :S