1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

My Mach speed had a jumper setting of pin 1&2 jumped for mouse and keyboard to work.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    I don't know why, but it's got to be a XP-Pro/SP2 thing because if I install XP-Pro with no service pack, it installs fine. If i use my SP2 version, it gets to the screen where you have to agree to their terms, it just stops working. It works fine up to that point. If you have the Num Lock on the light goes out and the keyboard just stops. This is with an HP MM/Internet keyboard. Maybe I just need to use a basic keyboard!

It's funny??? I just blew one out yesterday on the old Dell. I think it was because I wasn't replacing another PS2 keyboard, but rather adding a PS2 one. I plugged it in and all three lights turned on dim and it wouldn't work. When I rebooted, at the post it said Keyboard Failure. I too have hot swapped PS2 keyboards before, but only removing one and replacing it with another. It wasn't a cheapie keyboard either, it was one of the dozen brand new IBMs I bought a few years ago at a very good price. Best keyboard I've ever used! I have 1 new one left, still in the original box! I won't be trying that again. LOL!!

Russ

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rick,
    The terminology varies from MB to MB, but on my DS3R, it has USB Keyboard, USB Mouse and Legacy USB. All are turned on. There's also a USB 2.0 support, and it's turned on too! It could be that screwy HP MM keyboard. I had to hunt drivers for it to make it work properly!

Russ

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Russ

All keyboards work when posting so that we can get into bios. When you get there you should consider your boot order first (remember that from before when your CD wouldn't boot?). I always choose the installation ROM. Then when you exit it should begin Windows setup where it first goes through a period of loading essential drivers. At this point your USB keyboard issues should be over.

5. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Russ no harmm done...atlease i see your looking back a few pages to
    what has been posted...lol the link you posted about the mosfet coolers are good but what are prices of them jokers it seem to if...I decide on getting those jokers..I'll need 4 of them to work
    and your right by the sharp of them they dont trap dust easy if so a can Air can blow them right clean quick...lol dont get me wrong my mind is'nt made up yet which route..i'm goin but I have decides to
    go with a combo deal from newegg on the board & cpu cause my local micro center does'nt have the Kuma cpu in stock there they have everything below that cpu and above...I need to talk to my sale man Dan Moody about that matter...Russ I checked that case you wanted is out of stock here also Sorry my Friend:(

@ChrisC586

Chris first of all best of luck choice of board both boards are setup
    for that option to use but the only thing is the gigabyte gives you the equipment to use it the plug in's and biostar don't give it to you in the box you have go buy it separate the connections now it came with my TPowerI45 but it's still in the box..I don't use it...
    now me and Russ like the 2 different boards for a reason on what he like doin and what..i like doin we both made that known..I like it better in the Bio's in the biostar board that the gigabyte board in oc'ing that's just me a few pages back it seem like a war was starting between me and russ but we talked on the phone and made up..lol Russ will have his build done b4 me..I cant wait to see his results...I still have to modify my case with alot of air cooling I mean fan installing you see..I like alot of air flowing...i'll be ording my combo on Feb,13 but...I will start out my kington hyper x
    2x1 first and see how it works out
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104044
    pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and if it don't move to G.Skill instead and yes it's true that some memory is'nt 1066 right out the pack you have to set it that's the fun part setting it Corsair has been good to me but..I like change sometime my 800 is still running good in my p35-ds3r rev 2.0 in the antec case the other 2 differents between the boards are the Audio Chipsets

Biostar
    Realtek ALC888

Gigabyte
    Realtek ALC889A

my question is can that be flashed? Russ or anybody to answer this without hurting the board if not...If not..I can always disable the onboard audio and install a better sound card not a problem:)

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    No it's an on board chip! I don't think there was ever an issue between you and I about motherboard choices. It's something someone else implied! I think as far as adjustments go, both boards are equal. I've looked over the setup on both MBs, and I don't see any meaningful differences. Both are highly adjustable. As far as case fans go, it's not the number of fans, it's strictly a matter of case airflow. I plan on three fans for the new build, same as I had with the intel. I can promise you right now I won't need more! LOL!!

The Mosfet coolers are a package of 10 for $10!
    http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/enmofocomohe.html

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

bigwill68 unless I'm mistaken since I had the Biostar, Asus, & Gigabyte in my hands in the crowded aisles checking them ot the Biostar had all the hardware also.My board hopefully be here by Wednesday and I;ve just got to make another trip to Microcenter Saturday morning before the crowds.Supposed to be a broke economy but you'd never know it by Micro.Lol between the egg & Micro I've spent enough, but when prices drop on the quads I'll know which board for the ht.I'm just waiting to see the results and problems hopefully none between these 3 builds.If it wasn't for the tax credit right[loan]from IRS to be paid back the next 15 years for buying this house I sure wouldn't be doing it.Last piece to be buying will be a BR rom and let rebuilder do it' magic.I really didn't se anything between you and Russ stating your opinions on why each of you went the way you did.I bought the combo deal from the egg also.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Thanks Sophocles. I've never had to do that before, but I will keep that in mind for the future. I did have an AOpen MB the other day that would not do anything from the USB keyboard. Probably that weird HP MM/Internet keyboard's fault. You couldn't even get into the setup with it, and that was a first! It's the only USB keyboard I own, but I'm sure I'll eventually have more.

Russ

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Chris,
    I don't know what to tell you but I just finished searching the BioStar site and there is no Coax or Optical S/PDIF on any of the AMD chipped motherboards. There's a header on the board (Red) for Output only, 3 pin as I/O has 5 pins. Biostar doesn't even list an optional device to plug into it! I'm not sure what you were looking at but the Coax plug is a standard RCA Plug (with Red ceramic inside of it) and the Optical is a little square looking thing with a little gray spring loaded trap door that closes when you remove the optical cable! The strangest thing I found in looking through the specs is that the most expensive 790GX board only has 1 USB header on the motherboard, while the $99 one has 3 for a total of 10 devices. Having only 6 USB devices would leave me a bit short as I would have to unplug something just to use a flash drive. How strange is that?

Russ

10. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

GA-MA790GP-DS4H
    Back Panel Connectors
    1 x PS/2 keyboard port
    1 x PS/2 mouse port
    1 x D-Sub port
    1 x DVI-D port
    1 x HDMI port
    1 x optical S/PDIF Out connector
    1 x IEEE 1394a port
    4 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports
    1 x RJ-45 port
    6 x audio jacks (Center/Subwoofer Speaker Out/Rear Speaker Out/Side Speaker Out/Line In/Line Out/Microphone)

Internal I/O Connectors
    4 x USB 2.0/1.1 headers

Back Panel Connectors
    4 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports

TA790GX3
    Back Panel Connectors
    1 x PS/2 Mouse
    1 x PS/2 Keyboard
    4 x USB 2.0 Port
    1 x HDMI Connector
    1 x DVI Connector
    1 x VGA Port
    1 x RJ-45 Port
    6 x audio jacks (Center/Subwoofer Speaker Out/Rear Speaker Out/Side Speaker Out/Line In/Line Out/Microphone)

USB
    Back Panel Connectors
    4 x USB 2.0 Port

Internal I/O Connectors
    3 x USB 2.0 Header
    1 x 4 pin connection on board

I may have missed something on the specs but Russ is talking about the the 1 x optical S/PDIF Out connector on the back panel that Biostar has'nt for the red header on the board you have buy a after market (optional device to plug into it) on the board if Biostar had all the feature that the Gigabyte has the Biostar board would run at the same (Price) or more you get what you pay for
    in quality...me..i don't need all those features as Russ doe's and use that's why my choice is less than his in cost I'll be more than happy with the Biostar Board when..I get it and hope the same for Russ's choice also

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2009
  11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ChrisC586,
    I forgot to mention that my computer is also a Virtual Theater Pipe organ, so I am looking for the absolute best sound that I can get, with the lowest possible signal to noise ratio. I have two of them, a two manual Wurlitzer 216, and a Wurlitzer 260 3 manual. Both hold thousands of pipes in memory that are constantly changing their state of tune, just like the real thing does, only not to the same degree as a real one. With the real Wurlitzer you often have to work around that state of tune because as the tune of each individual pipe changes, so do the harmonics of the pipes around it. When the real thing changes tune it can completely cancel the sound of other pipes by those harmonics. It's one of the things that makes the sound so unique.

On a real Theater Organ, changes in temperature, humidity and the barometric pressure, all conspire to knock the instrument out of tune quite easily. When you play one if you want to play it well, you have to be prepared to use what works, at the time. In other words, you have to be able to work around it's shortcomings at that moment and be prepared to make adjustments on the fly, which make technique an important part of mastering one. It never ceases to amaze me that a computer can do a better job of creating that sound, than any form of modern electronics could ever hope to achieve in any sort of cost effective way! For my needs, Fiber optics are the only way to go. The sounds I can get out of 5 Satellite speakers and one 10" long throw Sub, never ceases to amaze me. The F/O S/PDIF just makes it that much better! I can't wait. I should have everything by 9th, then I can start having fun again! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Russ unless I screwed up the Biostar had both and 4 usb ports on the motherboard and 4 out the back.It was a revision 5.If it doesn't I screwed up because this was going to be after playing with the home theater.If it isn't means I'm buying another board.But, one thing for sure after work tomorrow is a run to MicroCenter to see and if it's not I'll be buying the Gigabyte.I'm still gonna wait for the quads to come down in price, took a bath once when I bought the 4200 x2 when they first came ouy in 2005 at $350.00

13. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

my question to you is Chris you had to see 1 of these 3 models here below...
    [​IMG]
    (if image is Too Big I'll reduce Thanks)
    at your local Micro Center at my Micro Center here in Cincy they only have the Tforce Ta790Gx A2+ model for $109.99 in stock that's all they are carrying...make sure you did'nt pickup Ta770 A2+ by
    mistake it has on the rear panel ports usb 6 x usb 2.0, 2 x esata 3Gb/s & Onboard it has 4 x usb 2.0
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138102
    on the Ta790Gx3 specs it saids 1 x USB 2.0 Header onboard is
    newegg showing a wrong pic? cause they look all the same to me
    all 3 specs below...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16813138130,N82E16813138129,N82E16813138128

Man I feel like a Saleman...lol

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    Newegg has changed the pic! The one they are showing now for the GX3 has 3 internal headers for 6 usb ports. That means 10 usb ports total on all three of them. I need 12-14! Normally without the organ, I have Keyboard, Mouse, Printer, Disc Stakka and a 4 port powered hub. The Organ takes an additional 7 ports. 2 for the keyboards (3 for the 260), 3 for the Swell pedals (4 for the 260) and 1 for the Pedal Clavier. I use the powered 4 port hub for the Swell pedals since speed isn't an issue with what amounts to 3 or 4 volume controls! The powered hub port uses all 4 ports for the 260 as it has 4 Swell pedals. The powered hub is only good for certain things since they are not a high speed port. You can only get high speed ports through the headers on the motherboard and the ports on the back of the computer. While you can split a port into 4 with the usb hub, there's no way to give you a full Sata 2.0 high speed connection by splitting a port! BTW! The only revision 5 I found was the 770, which Chris definitely doesn't want!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

the Biostar i was looking at was theTA70GX128M they had at Micro for $87.95 which had me wondering what board was coming from the egg. Mad dash to MC after work tomorrow to double check out that board since I can swear on my ex wifes life was a revision 5 [ if I'm wrong nothing lost].The egg shipping says board processor and ram to be here Thursday the 5th.Bigwill you'll have to move to Michigan cause our MC has a better price than yours, our store also isn't carrying the 7750.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

It appears that the Biostar 790GX all have a total of 10 USBs available through the 4 ports on the board and three headers in the motherboard for 6 more. The picture that newegg had posted for the GX3 only showed 1 usb header on the motherboard (I looked at the pic) and 4 ports on the board itself for a total of 6. I even commented that I was surprised that the high end 790 only had 1 header. As you can tell by my previous post, I need lots of usb ports! LOL!! As many as 11 for the 3 manual 260! Beats the hell out of doing it with straight Midi in a Daisy chain. A whole lot less cables going in and out of all the devices! LOL!! I have the Midi adapter for my Sound Blaster Live 5.1, and I've hooked up a keyboard in the past, but the USB is much easier and you don't have to deal with the cables in between devices!

Russ

17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Which Biostar 790 are U refering they have 2

TFORCE TA790GX3 A2+
    TFORCE TA790GX 128M

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rick, Actually they have 3! All support a total of 10 usb ports according to BioStar.

Russ

19. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

This is the board I was looking at TA790GX128 and according to the specs doesn't have spidf hardware but it is revision 5 and now I'm thinking maybe it was the gigabyte or Asus board.Won't know for sure now till tomorrow.http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/event/IntelAMDAM2/AMDAM3.html

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

You can get a rear port that plugs into the red plug on the motherboard for S/PDIF out. About $15!

Russ