1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rick,
    You gave the wrong link, but the TA790GX3 is the better motherboard, but for an extra $10 I would get the GigaByte!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128352

For that $10 you get the heatpipe cooler for the Northbridge and VRM modules. You can't buy cooling like that for $10. The sound is better and if you want to use Optical sound, it's there! That's what made my choice easier since they lowered the price of the GigaByte! It's reported to be the best of the 790GX motherboards. It certainly works best for the Phenom IIs. I'm expecting the same results with the x2 2.7GHz Kuma, as it's a Phenom II with only 2 cores! Just a reminder, you only get all the features with an AM2+ CPU, which means the x2 Kuma, and the Quads and triples! It was the main reason I bought the Kuma! I call it "Training Wheels" for a future Phenom II! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

this one is the best of the 3
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138128

BIOSTAR AM3/AM2+ 45nm ready motherboards List
    http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/event/IntelAMDAM2/AMDAM3.html
    in my heart in the long run way later down the line this will be and
    better Overclocker if need be it delivers better overclocking capabilities and lower power consumption.for those who wanna test there cpu's

Gigabyte offer a way better looking platform for all those offers at that price (heat pipes , s/pdif & alc889a )but..I would sacrifice all that for a better oc'er and add the heatpipes and s/pdif connections later that why...I left the ds3r board and went the I45 Tpower platform for better results and better manageable oc'ing features for me to use...I just found something that fits me in what..I like doin but it's each his own and there choice in board..
    Russ is my friend and he stands behind Gigabyte as I stand
    behind Biostar but we know there same boards with alittle more offer
    on each that's fine..rick it's up to you and it's your money which way you wanna go and best of luck on your choice:)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2009
  4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey Will,
    I wasn't trying to step on your toes in any way. I just felt that for the extra $10, given the fairly equal motherboards, that it was worth it! As far as a better overclocker goes, that remains to be seen. One thing I have learned is that the fastest CPU speed is not always the best performer. Also, an LN overclock record is totally meaningless to me. Good for bragging rights and nothing more. I've seen the video of Team AMD hitting 6GHz on the DS4H, so I know it will do it, but I'll never try it! I'm only interested in finding it's sweet spot and nothing more! BTW, the DS4H has been AM3 ready since it first came out, so again, everything stays pretty much even! All I'm looking for is 3.6 to 3.8GHz, and I'll be happy. I have no intention of going any higher than that and may not wind up with any OC at all! Dependa on how well it works. Then again I didn't buy the Kuma not to give it a go! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

naw Russ you did'nt step on my toes...lol
    we just have are own reason in liking different
    boards that's all and there different features
    they have to offer...i like Biostar's overclocking
    features better than gigabyte's in the Bio setup
    screen to it has more to work with in voltages
    adjustments and how you set it...I like gigabyte
    also..I just fell limited in certain factors with
    the boards oc'ing capability's in the voltage
    adjustments they are different in that we talked about
    on the phone...If I bought another gigabyte board it would
    be a 775 socket, ud3p or the ud3r model..i think gigabyte
    made a step up from ds3r's models and did better there
    with that socket,me myself..I planning for 3.6 or 3.8 later
    on down the line oc'ing with the biostar board...I just think that
    people are waiting on me and your results with are boards
    to see which a way to go...lol we are running the same kuma
    cpu, different Memory,psu,hd and what ever else and for sure a
    different case..mine is store bought to be modifyed for Air
    Cooling and 3,120mm fans to be added you know ..I like fans and fan controllers in my cases and it's a white case you know that you saw pictures with a Old msi board in it..I took out nothing special:)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2009
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe, someone who writes his posts in notepad beforehand? To prevent that problem turn off Word Wrap before you copy and paste into the forum box :)

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

or use Word-pad. :) j/k bigwilly... messing with ya as I haven't had the time to post much lately... hope all is well with the AMD crowd. :p

...gm

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hope someone can help: I recently Defraged my HD with with Raxco PerfectDisk 10 Professional. Ever since, I've been unable to burn Disc without failure at 99% (LITE-ON SOHW-1693S)all TY Disc(10in a row).This is with any Burning engine. I've tried uninstal,that didn't work. Does any one know if this is a XP Problem or something else
    Oh yea I did uninstall & reinstall prog

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well, I transferred my Newegg order for my AMD Build to my bank card, and it's paid for and on the way! I may even have it tomorrow morning! It's a darn shame that there's no Electric Bananas to celebrate with here! LOL!!

Best Regards and Happy Computering,
    Russ

10. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

best of luck on your build my friend take your time brother..I'll be ordering my board and cpu & heatsink nexts friday and maybe doin some modifying to case this weekend with the fans installed getting it ready for the platform and wiring management...

ps...the Word Wrap is turned off and there is No copy & Paste goin on here Thanks

Will...

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Russ

Good luck with the build. Donald's acquired a couple AMD quads so maybe you can mess with him since he is as always a cheapskate.:>)

I've just received a few parts myself but since they aren't of the AMD kind I will leave that discussion to another thread.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    You of all people know how long I've wanted to do a good high end AMD build. It just never happened! I'm going get to do it with AMDs best Dual Core ever! Now I'm just looking to have fun and enjoy my new toy, and all the goodies on the motherboard an AM2+ chip unlocks.

I discovered just last night that you don't get AMD Overdrive or ACC with some AMD AM2+ motherboards even tough they are AM3 ready. If you move up to a Phenom II with one of those, you won't have all the features for it either. Not Good! No worries for me as the MB I bought is loaded with features and adjustments! I'm actually getting excited!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Good for you Russ, hope you get all your parts by tommorow, myself I ran into some problems with globalcomputer on that PC build kit, gonna e-mail you and explain further, that Visionman outfit are not very reputable.

14. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Got the Biostar up and running tonight Windows on it Everest installed put in the Gsill till tomorrow wen the dominators are supposed to be here.This board has more than the specs showed. Agree about the cooling on it but I'll take care of that this weekend. Everest and the onboard hw monitor after 2hours of running installs showed 24 Degrees for the Kuma and 21 for the mobo. Russ you do have it beat on usb 10 on this but it does have both spif in and out with cables.Didn't get back to Micro cause of the cold weather here in Michigan had to baby set the boilers. Sort of sorry I didn't get a quad but we'll see what she does after everythings installed this weekend.Waiting to get out of work tomorrow to get the new ram and start playing in the Bios.Oooh just like a kid in a candy store. Chris

15. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

congrats Chris which model did you pick of the board? I'm glad to atlease it came with s/pdif cables and are you running 64bit windows xp?

16. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well Hell, That was easy! My new build is up and running. Aside from the 2 Lite-On's being noisy as hell, it runs great!

Stay Tuned! LOL!!
    Russ

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

I think we told you that. :p You got the 20A4P models didn't you?? lol. :) You won't be disappointed with the performance tho, cheap and simple.

Good luck on the NEW build.

....gm

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Thanks GM. One of the Lite-On's is going back. It's easily twice as loud as the other one, and I mean real loud. Vibrates like a SOB. Sounds like a friggin Bee on Steroids, too LOL!!

I can see that I've got a lot of learning to do with all these adjustments. I've got to Download AMD Overdrive too! Running at 3.0GHz at the moment. and DVDRB/CCE runs faster with a previously timed DVD by a small amount then my E6750 That bodes well for the future! I like it! My Sandra (Business Pro 2007) won't run on it, and Everest switches the MB and CPU temps, so I'm going to have to get some newer software when I can afford it!

So far it's run solid though. So much quieter too. The Heat pipe NB and VRM cooling works great too! Temps in the 30-38C range It won't need a fan as the Freezer 64 is cooling both sections just right! Oh well, enough excitement for one day!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

Russ,

I have one of the 20A4P drives and they are NOT as quiet as some Lite-ons but it "sounds" like you got an unusually loud one... LOL. Newegg will take it back and replace it I'm sure and you should consider one of those LG's as well.... Just for giggles if nothing else... you gots plenty of money. :D

....gm

edit: fixed cause Sammy was making fun o me. :p

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009