1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Take it bake? Lol, I shouldn't criticise people's spelling but that one made me laugh...

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

Now wait a minute!! It was spelled correctly but way out of context. :p Oh and you might check that spelling on criticize. :D

...gm

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

UK spelling, perfectly acceptible :)

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yeh I knew that... ROFL. But you have to admit when it comes up on a "English" dictionary as NOT the main spelling (in the states that is) it's quite humorous. Of course the UK spells theatre and centre and all that wrong too... hehehe. :p

L@@KS like some fun going on with these NEW AMD builds around here. I think my parents NEED a new computer... Just talked to the old man and he said he might consider that as his 5+ year old Dell is not like it used to be. I've even added memory and "cleaned" it out to make it more user friendly. :)

...gm

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd love to have a go, but right now I can't afford even to keep my own system running, let alone build experiment machines...

6. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

New rig [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ChrisC586,
    I think something went wrong with your Image Shack Images. I use the thumbnails, the second one down and it seems to work OK. Yours are too small to read! Here's mine since I wiped everything clean.

CPU
    [​IMG]

Motherboard
    [​IMG]

Memory
    [​IMG]

I think this is what yours is at at the moment. I stopped testing last night at 3.0GHz, and I'm going to continue today, now that I have a completely fresh install on the Seagate, so it's now much quieter than with the DeathStar. Sandra now works, but I can't get AMD Overdrive to see the CPU?? It's a work in progress! LOL!!
    I had a bad data cable to my ODDs that caused all sorts of problems. It seems one of my Round IDE cables bit the dust!

Stay Tuned,
    Russ

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

A little advice to those still using imageshack. When you copy an imageshack link it contains more than just a link to the image, it also contains a redirect to imageshacks site. YOu remove the redirect by removing everything before the [​IMG] and it will link. Ergo! Drop the URL tags.

[​IMG]

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    It does that on mine because I want the click to open feature, so I save it as a thumbnail and use less real estate on the thread. It also keeps the screen from blowing up with a larger pic!

Russ

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

A redirect to imageshack saves nothing in terms of processes and the redirect is more annoying than the image. What we get when we click on your thumbnail is a redirect to imageshack and a plain jane background. All of imageshack's image links contain tags of some sort. I personally find it annoying to click on an image to see it full sized only to be redirected to another site such as imageshack. It's just a form of ad ware.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles is there a way to show a thumbnail without it. I know I can use the direct link, but the thumbnail saves problems with the pic being too large!

Russ

12. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Apologize first time using image shack and I can't even read them. I'll figure it out and repost.Chris

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Chris,
    For a picture that size, just use the Direct link at the bottom, sixth one down. It posts highlighted text to a direct link and the pic opens when you click the link!

Russ

14. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Hi All!. I am new to this thread. Apparently there is a whole section of AD I have been oblivious to - my favorite topic - computers! I was wondering if anyone has the Phenom II 940? I am getting one this week and am curious as to the OC potential and settings people are using. Thanks.

15. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Could use a little HELP!!
    I've got a dual IDE Controler card ( ULTRA 100TV2 ) my DVD Drives continue to lock up my Computer through this card.
    So I need another Card W/2 IDE Outlets, any suggestions

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I've used these before, and they seem to do the job with a minimum of fuss!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124001

Russ

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Want To Know What AMD Is Up To? They now have 5 Quad Phenom IIs and 2 Triple Phenom IIs. 5 are AM3s!

http://www.crn.com/white-box/213401890

It appears that AM3 is officially here! They have both memory controllers on chip so they also work in AM2+ with DDR2 Memory!

18. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

me myself...I got a few laying around...I usally go to micro center to pick up mine like this one below for $12.79 + taxs:) they even come in the PCI Express 2.0 x16 types also to fit in that slot:)

http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0281441

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
  19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

bigwill68 : Does this card work with DVD RWs & DVD Rom. I've noticed that some cards don't respond well with DVD RW. The card I have locks up after reading the Disc

20. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Rick...I'm sure it will work...I had one of mine hooked up along time to Dvd burner did'nt give me any issue just make sure you have the (drivers)installed first for the card b4 you hook any ide cable or drive to it...I learned my lession on that also trying to be in a hurry...Right now..I got 1 going on I45 Board for 2 Ide Hard drives in my Pci slot a 320gb wd & a Seagate 160gb no problems it even come with 2 sata connectors on backside so...i can plug in 2 sata drives if...I want...hopfully you live close to a micro center?

matter a fact this one is the very 1...i'm using now for my hards drives except it has 2 green led's on the board and this has a red & green...I got mine way after these reviews from newegg that they wrote and it's doin me fine them review are from along time ago:)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124011

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009