1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

2. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Have you plugged the drives direct to the mobo to be sure its the card?
    I ask cause it sounds like a ODD drive problem and not a card.

3. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

what you trying to do hookup 4 drives? Cause you can do piggie Back with the card Master/Slave off 1 IDE connection Brother That's what i'm doin now but 1 drive is open with no jumpers...You only need one IDE hook-up for 2 drives:)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
  4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

rick5446,
    Look up the page a little and you'll see where I posted a link for exactly what you are looking for! When I need one it's all I use! I get lots of old computers where the IDE controller has gone South!

Russ

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

bigwill68: I realize that, but I need 2 ide for 2 DVD RW & 2 HDD
    theonejrs: Thanks Russ I did order that

6. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

you would have came out cheaper if you would have went to the Mic picked it up (No shipping cost)...they got the same card as Russ told you about also there O well...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
  7. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I am in the process of a new build, will have two writers, and possibly in the near future will want to install a second hardrive, would I need one of these contraptions to do so?

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Fred,
    No! LOL!!

Russ

9. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Fred,
    No! LOL!!

OK, probably all you guys will have many laughs by the time I get done with this, it's ok, I would be laughing myself, just remember guys, lets put it this way, I would love to take a bunch of you guys on one of our construction sites, you wanna talk about having fun with new guys LOL.

Our favorite would be to get an apprentice and tell him to go get us a bucket of steam, and yes all of them would go searching.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Negative! You're talking to a guy that cut his teeth climbing both towers of the George Washington Bridge in NY/NJ before I was 12! I've sent Rookies in search of a Left Handed Monkey Wrench! LOL!!

Russ

11. FredBun

FredBun Active member

LOL, not to break your bubble Russ, we used that one also, I can name you at least 20 but of course that would be another thread lol.

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

bigwill68 : Ya didn't tell me that

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

By the way I did order this one also
    Syba 2x ATA/133 IDE PCI VIA6410 chipset
    SKU: 434019
    Manufacturer Part Number: SY-ATA6410-2I 1bt $12.79 $12.79
    TOTAL AMOUNT $18.78

It WASN'T ANY CHEAPER

14. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

that was because of shipping cost add right? you don't have a Micro Center near you? i was just trying to save you some money on shipping cost at $18.78 your paying $6.00 bucks in shipping that's almost half of $12.79 on the part itself...I don't burn that in gas to go get the part myself maybe cause it's in the same city...i live in best of luck Rick what ever you decide on to do:)

by the way I got a few of these pci express cards also from the mic:)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124007

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
  15. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

16. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I'll be damned, global just e-mailed this same page to me, after looking at I said wow what a deal, if I hadn't ordered the build I did with newegg, I would have jumped on this one, not really savvy enough if this is a better build than the one I ordered.

I know I have a better mobo, but the rest looks like it rivals mine.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

18. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Your so right Rick, but you know what, I'm still happy as a pig eating S#$T with what I got, but if anybody is looking for a deal cause I have been doing a lot of researching this past couple of weeks, I would give this a serious look.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Fred,
    Not even close! The case is all right but I wouldn't give the PSU house room! The memory is sub-standard, 667MHz, and why would anyone want to build an AMD on an nVidia chip MB in the first place! The AMD chipsets are better by light years in every respect! nVidia ia still smarting from the ass whoopin that AMD gave it just a few months ago in a shoot out of AM2+ motherboards. nVidia planned to win that one (that's why they accepted the challenge) and even had some big shots there to impress! They finished second to the AMD chipped MBs by a wide margin! LOL!!

It's very simple really, if you have an AMD AM2 and up CPU, you want an AMD chipped motherboard! Right now there is no substitute!

Russ

20. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Well that takes care of that tune, like I said before, no matter, I'm still happy as a pig eating s#@t with what I have.