1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. greensman

greensman Regular member

O-man7... don't believe him. :p Watch.... Wait for it... wait..... ;)

AMD sux!!! They'll NEVER be as good as Intel. :D

Russ,
    What mobo did you get?? Or are getting your 790G repaired??

....gm

add: material posted in Italics is a JOKE... don't let it get to you... it's only a computer. :p btw..... Intel FTW!!!! :p

add 2: I've got an AMD.... soooooo I be screwing with the SOF!!

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well multiplier would be nice, but as far as I'm aware, an FSB overclock will be faster. Most Black Edition chips I've seen have the same OC ceiling with FSB. And if I can get 240MHz that would be 3.24GHz with the stock 800MHz on my RAM with the multiplier turned down to 667. My 5000+ BE could do 3.2GHz 100% stable with 1.4v(though multi OC'd) so we'll see what the 7750 does with FSB. Check my profile for the full system.

I enjoyed my E6750 heavily. Whether or not something is faster, it's still fast ;)

Either way I expect this 7750 to be a relatively fast dual core for my LAN box/mid-range rig.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    I don't know who told you that upping the fsb would make it faster, but I've tried a number of suggestions I came across on the net, and I don't find it to be any faster. On the DS4H, I was able to get it to 3.6 to 3.7 before I sent the board back to Newegg, by setting the multiplier to 18x and 18.5x at 1.44v. I've heard all sorts of stories about using a higher FSB from all the nutso people at many extreme overclocking sites, but their voltages were outrageous! Besides, there really is no FSB, only an effective one. At 3.2GHz, mine pumps out right at 25,000 MIPS in Sandra 2007 Business Professional. The effective FSB speed is 1800MHz. I never had the chance to check it higher, once I decided to send it back. Good luck doing it though, just keep the voltage limits in mind and don't get burned!

EDIT: There is no 667 on AM2+ if the bios detects the Kuma at all on the GigaByte, and I'm not sure how other manufacturer's handle it. From x5.33, next stop down is x4.00!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Russ,
    I read somewhere that OC'ing via multi ONLY, is good to a point. See...if the other components are not ALSO OC'd than the CPU is just gonna be waiting for those components. Thats why bumping the FSB AT LEAST a little is a good idea. Because it OC's the Ram, The HT, etc all at the same time. If im mistaken I apologize. I have NO IDEA what im talking about. Im simply quoting something logical I read about.

5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I will keep your advice in mind as I go to OC. I've seen people achieving wildly varying results with multiple configurations. If my OC hits the same wall with FSB and multi, FSB it is then. Mind you I've OC'd many many processors, including a Phenom II. I know to watch my voltage. 1.475 is as high as I feel comfortable with ;P

AFAIK, the 780G board will detect it normally with just a BIOS update. I've been using Athlon 64s for so long I forgot about how it changes the RAM settings when you use a Phenom chip XD It IS a Gigabyte board BTW. Though I think it should still roughly work out to 533, 667, 800, etc. I'm using DDR2 800 for it, so it's pretty much fool proof to do.

Based on your experience Russ, what kind of speeds should I expect with multi only? I'm using a 780 board mind you and not a 790 for this chip. Also using an AC Freezer 64. Is 3.4GHz possible then you think?

BTW Russ, long time no talk. Nice to hear from you again :)

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    I'm a complete novice at AMDs, this being the first time I've ever built one for myself. Here's an article from the tech report that explains it better than I can. http://techreport.com/articles.x/14261/1 One of the things I've noticed is the the memory bandwidth is much higher than previous AMDs. I know comparing the memory bandwith with the 64x2 4800+ in Oxi, which has an AM2 motherboard, the difference is about 3000MB/s, and a much more Intel like 8000+MB/s with the same memory. I do know that by putting the 64x2 4800+ in the 780G motherboard, the performance of the 4800+ improves by about 15% by just plugging it in. I haven't taken the time yet to see what the difference is with the 790G/750 yet because I've had so many other problems to deal with.

I know the internal latencies for the cache management are much higher for the AMD than they are for Intel, and that's part of the reason that they don't scale or overclock as well. That's one of the reasons I'm holding out for the AM2+/AM3 Phenom II, due mid year. The inclusion of faster switching metal Gate transistors, should make a large improvement it the latency department, which means they should scale and overclock better!

Here's an article from AnandTech, old but relevant, that explains things better than I can. http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3360 I've also done some playing around with the ACC using AMD Overdrive. I don't have access to my drives at the moment because I sent the MB in to GigaByte yesterday. Remind me to give you the version number of the one that works with the Kuma when I get the new MB. Also, for some reason, until the latest bios for my UD4H, all of the features of AM2+ weren't available. Flashing the bios added a lot more adjustments in the setup.

As far as how far you can overclock it, with the right motherboard, the 7750BE has been overclocked to 3.8GHz, with relative ease with the CPU multiplier alone. Some have even gotten to 4.0GHz and higher on air. I don't see the Freezer 64 Pro having any sort of problem keeping up at 3.8GHz, as temperatures don't seem to be an issue.

Good to hear from you as well. It's been a while! I'm just glad to see you are still having fun and building new stuff.

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wow guys! This is the worst virus ive ever seen!!! I remove things from the startup, temp folder, Prefetch, etc. It seems to stay one step ahead of me. Im seeing things in my startup, that appear like normal processes, but have a slite variance in name. VERY tricky. LOL, when all else fails...KILLDISK!!! Lets see it survive that! Im still trying one more thing however.

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

Kevin you might go to the AV section and see what you can find out. :) 2oldGeek helped me with a friends computer that was GONE!!! Brought her back from the dead if you ask me. ;) Running Ad-Aware FREE, Spybot S&D, and some others first would help I'm sure. I don't know that much about the VIRUS bid-ness so a jaunt over there could only help. ;)

Good luck buddy...

....gm

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ive tried, AVG, Comodo to no success. This is a most unusual threat. Everytime I think I have it, its one step ahead of me. Check this out. Even removing it from the startup, it will return ON startup. Even when Ive deleted from prefetch, Temp, etc. I believe a main DLL may be VERY infected. And both antiviruses cant find it!

Thanks GM, I'll look into it, after work :(

[​IMG]

10. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Prevx claims to remove both GAVULOWE.DLL and BEVUKEYO.DLL, and other virus'
    http://www.prevx.com/filenames/X2118074268965166663-X1/GAVULOWE.DLL.html

Also, Malwarebytes claims to remove it, also, http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyt...4572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

Both claim to be free.

Best of luck

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

Thanks sytyguy!! I was gonna recommend Malwarebytes. ;) Give it a try when you get home O-man7. ;) I've used Malwarebytes and it does a pretty good job. ;)

....gm

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well I got my 7750 today. I did a BIOS update to the latest F4 revision and it detects everything and boots just fine. I backed up my stuff and did a clean install of XP so I can OC on a virgin install. So far so good. Leaving it to auto fan speed, it idles at 28*C and Orthos load at 41*C. Very nice :) Haha $60 well spent on this chip. Honestly I was looking for something new to play with :p

Overclocking begins tomorrow. ACC doesn't seem to be in the options. Will I need AMD Overdrive and ACC to get higher clocks or can I try it from BIOS? My Phenom II didn't seem to complain at all when I OC'd it right from BIOS. I never had to use AMD Overdrive.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...I did it! I have Debian 64bit(Linux) installed on one of my drives. I must admit, its pretty PLAIN looking. Not quite what I expected. But looks were not why I installed it. I knew that running an OS like this could keep me on my toes, as well as teach me MANY new things!

With a bug as nasty as the one Killdisk NO DOUBT overwrote, I couldnt bring myself to trust ANY antivirus! I had to be sure I was rid of it LOL! with close to 1TB of data connected to my system/s at any given time, I have no room for error. Unless it was a VERY advanced virus, and migrated to my other drives(Ha...doubt it), I believe ive seen the last of it for now :p Windows 7 seemed fine, and unaffected. Once I realized that XP was VERY infected, I was EXTREMELY careful how I navigated my system LOL!

Thanks to you all, for your suggestions/Help

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    I look at OverDrive as a tool to learn with. It's certainly useful for seeing the effects of different settings. I know I'm going to do some more playing around with the base frequency of the CPU. About 222 for the frequency coupled with the 9x multiplier of the HT Link, should give a 2000MHz fsb. The general consensus from most of the places I've visited is to get the FSB close to 2000MHz, and go from there. Using the 14.5 CPU multiplier would yield 3.217GHz. If I can get it to run that way, I'll do some benchmarks and see if anything improves.

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well so far the highest I can hit is 3.226GHz 239MHZ FSB x 13.5 multi w/ 1.4v. HTT and NB at 8x multi for 1912MHz. +.025 on the NB VID.

Multi OC is giving me the same wall. Any higher with either multi or FSB with all voltages up to 1.5v will bluescreen shortly after boot.

Any pointers? If people are hitting 3.6+ what settings are they using?

I'll give AMD Overdrive a shot.

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i ahev heard overdrive 3.0 beta is out? how is it compared to 2.xx?

17. redice

redice Regular member

can some one tell me the stock voltage for AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+ Socket 939? i have looked on the amd website but nothing comes up.

18. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

3200 is 1.4 Volts stock on socket 939

19. redice

redice Regular member

ok thanks ChrisC586

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

redice,
    I'm guessing that it's a single core as I don't remember a 64x2 3200+, so it's 1.5v!

Russ