1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. redice

redice Regular member

my amd athlon 64 3200+ is venice so i take it that the stock voltage for it's 1.4v.

russ

i didn't think that the rebates being sent on visa cards was anything new as i have seen other companies do it as well. my Corsair rebates came that way as well.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

redice,
    It's just the first time I ever saw something like that. Every rebate I've ever gotten has always been a check! Not making it compatible with ATMs, is just plain wrong!

Russ

3. redice

redice Regular member

o ok i understand now.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Your signature just got Sonic the hedge hog bonus round music stuck in my head. VERY awesome game. TIMELESS!!!

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

DAMN YOU! Now me too!

6. redice

redice Regular member

lol omegaman7 and sam

the old sonic games (like 1,2,3) are classic to me.

omegaman7

are you going to take the amd phenom any higher than 3.5 or are you happy with it as it's?

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I would like to push 3.8 but...so far, windows 7 is less than accommodating LOL! Im sure i'll find a way. I think im at a stand still for now. 3.5 seems VERY stable. No problems as of late. See...Im about to upgrade to 4-8Gb of Mushkin 1066 Ram. What I plan on doing is OC'ing with 4gb of the 1066, finding the stable point, resetting to default, and see how 4 sticks 8Gb fair with THAT Overclock. GTA IV uses ALMOST all of my Ram. And ive got other utilities im itching to use as well, that would use 4GB easily.

LOL! It/THEY is/are pretty catchy tunes :D

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  8. redice

redice Regular member

omegaman7
    o ok i see.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Dont get me wrong however! I love this CPU A LOT!!! Its the best thing since fast food LOL! For me anyhow :p I just see the ability for more potential. 3.5 was way too easy. Its gotta go further LOL!

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well Vista and Windows 7 are not ideal for testing OC stability if you want high clocks. They are notoriously non OC friendly. I'm thinking of switching back to XP and having 1 drive for OS/installs and 1 for storage. Vista is just that picky with my settings.

With a good cooler and some careful tweaking, 3.8GHz is not out of the question. Just know that XP will be far more stable with it.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The good news for AMD fans: The Phenom II X4 940 has been price cut from £185 to £168.

The bad news for AMD fans: The Phenom's new direct rival, The Core 2 Quad Q8400 has appeared on pre-order for just £153.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Whats this do for you sam :D Sorry had to do it ROFL!
    Heres me enjoying some Sonic the hedgehog on 64bit Windows 7 :D
    [​IMG]

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe, I played through all the old Sonic games on Kega a while back :)

14. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Haha reminds me of the hundreds of hours I spend with Project 64. I'm still hunting down old classics. Mario 64 in 1920 x 1200 was a trip. Wouldn't you know it most N64 games had a built in widescreen option? Full Hor + too which is mind blowing. And there are new PC games coming out that don't support it or don't have real Hor+ support. Go figure.

There were actually a few graphically impressive titles on the N64. Conker's Bad Fur Day is an old favorite and it had complex 3D and full voice overs through the entire game. Also Winback: Covert Operations, which IMO, is one of the greatest games ever made. Too bad the emulator support for it is shoddy at best. Unplayable due to graphical anomalies and glitched out HUD.

Also 007 Goldeneye was awesome on emulator. Full widescreen with modern dual stick controls is a real treat with that old classic. I even had it working online in multiplayer!

Also I've been playing a lot with ePSXe. It's surprisingly easy to find large archives of old ROMs everywhere. Final Fantasy 9(great), Legend of Dragoon(awesome), Dino Crisis 2(exquisite).

Any word of a working Xbox emulator anywhere? I'd love to play Conker Live and Reloaded again without hunting down a classic Xbox or buying the dreaded 360. Most old Xbox titles did get directly ported to PC though so no big loss.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

2560x1600 MarioKart64 with 4xAA with 360 pads. Awesome :)

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Haha hell yes. It even supports multiplayer in most games that have it. Mario Kart 64 is real gaming in it's most concentrated form. I still play it from time to time on my real N64. It's a blast with all four players. Especially when everyone's drunk XD

AA support with most games is still buggy though. It works in some but not in most. I wish they could get the original Rogue Squadron and Battle for Naboo working. I loved those. I tried the PC version of Rogue Squadron but it's extremely buggy and has literally zero joypad support. I think it detects for gameport vs USB.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...8Gb(4x2GB) of Mushkin 1066 is on its way. Despite the memory supported list at Gigabytes website HERE not listing it! Im hoping, given its one of the best modules, I wont have a problem (Knocks on Desk)!

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well I've been using Mushkin memory happily on Gigabyte boards for like 2 years now.You shouldn't have a problem.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah...my brother had a Dell board that didn't list kingston as supported, but it worked like a dream.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Gigabyte list is usually massively out of date, there are hardly any listed memory brands confirmed supported, and most work fine.