1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. greensman

greensman Regular member

Agreed. The only issue that I've had is some Crucial RAM... it was rated for 2.1v or 2.2v and it wouldn't start for some reason. Put some "lesser" volted sticks in and then went into the BIOS to set the volts at 2.0v and it started right away the second time. NEVER had an issue since. ;)

...gm

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Guess you cant believe everything you see/read LOL! I was convinced that Crucial was darn near the best you could buy. I dont believe that anymore. Perhaps once they were, and now they're not. Appreciate your comments guys. Put my mind at rest LOL!

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Crucial used to be a good brand, but they're pathetic now.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

This is because AMDs are not chipset limited to FSB like Intels are. However, for AMDs the big problem is that the CPUs themselves require a very high voltage to reach the same clock speed, so such results put the longevity of the CPU in days or hours, and require Liquid Nitrogen to get anywhere near.
    To the AMD's credit I've only seen a i7 make 5.5 or so, but rather ironically, the i7 still wins :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Very true, but the Phenom II is not in competition with the Core i7, it competes with the Core 2 Quads and higher C2Ds in both price and performance. It's still another very positive step forward for AMD, and offers anyone with a Spec AM2+ motherboard an excellent, inexpensive upgrade to a competitive Quad with just a bios flash!

While I quite agree on the voltage needed to reach those lofty heights, it's no more than an exercise to show that it can be done. We both know that that kind of extreme overclocking is totally meaningless in real world computing. You'll notice that they didn't have to overvolt to get to 3.7GHz either. For the most part the Phenom II 955 slots right in between the i7 920 and the Q9650, for the most part. Given where AMD was last year at this time, who'da thunk it possible? Go AMD!

Russ

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well, I guess I have to eat a little crow! Just a couple of weeks ago I said that there weren't going to be any 6 core processors introduced anytime soon! Now, it looks very much like there will be, but not in quite the same way as people were talking about them. The big surprise is that it will Be AMD doing the introducing!

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9132002

I know, it's for the server market, but how long will it be before AMD releases something like that for the home and enthusiast market? The server market gets theirs first, of course, just like I said they would last year. It all depends on the strength of the economy, whether the consumer market gets them anytime in the next year or two AMD will have 6 cores, to start with in June, going to 8 and 12 cores in 2010. They also plan a 16 core for 2011! Simply amazing!

What I want to know is "Who are these people, and what have they done with the Real AMD"? LOL!!

Russ

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Awesome! Simply, AWESOME!!! It'll be interesting to see how Intel answers back. I think everyone knows whome im routing for :p Not that I have anything against intel.

Wow, just when you think were nearing a dead end in a technology, they take a few more leaps and bounds!!! Good ol friendly competition. I wonder where the computing world would be, if only one manufacturer were producing CPU's...

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well the Phenom II 955 is looking to line right up with the 940 and competing Intel processors. Like the 4890, not much of an upgrade incentive. But it's nice to see them releasing faster newer stuff. AMD won't go down without a fight! lol

I can agree on the crazy voltage needed. Anything much past 3.7GHz needs 1.55v+!

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...I have to go to the dentist in the afternoon time. But before that, i'm gonna slap my new mushkin ram in(12Hrs). LOL, yes...I updated my Sig a bit prematurely! Given the manufacturer is spoken pretty highly of, I don't imagine I'll have a problem(Knocks on Desk). However, I do fear having to drop the Overclock a little. Apparently, OC'ing with 4 sticks of ram can be tricky. In any case, im gonna like my new config AT LEAST a little more. :D I just wish 16Gb wasn't soo expensive :(

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    I'm not so sure about that! Techspot was in a pretty big hurry to have one of the first review out on the Phenom II 955. By their own admission they first set the voltage to 1.50v, and then boosted the multiplier for 3.6GHz. They even said that it was easy and that someone with the skills should be able to go higher. We'll see!

The biggest thing is it's astonishing temperature range. From below -200C to 100C. Not that you would be very happy seeing 100C in Everest, but it does say a lot about the overall durability of the chip!

There's a YouTube video on this page that's interesting. 6.5GHz with a full test of 3DMark 06 is a pretty stressful test, and it got over 45,400 3DMarks!
    http://www.techspot.com/review/142-phenom2-overclocking/page8.html

Interesting,
    Russ

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

From the roadmaps I've read, Intel will be producing 6 core CPUs before they produce 8 core CPUs.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...the Ram is in :D And im extremely disappointed with newegg! They shipped my Ram in a friggin Envelope!!! 130$!!! I guess in the future, im gonna have to buy something else to insure this doesn't happen!

The reason im soo upset, is because I work for UPS, and envelopes have the roughest time during shipping(Fedex, DHL Doesnt matter). There are countless pinch points in the shipping process for an envelope. I hate to say it, but envelopes have better survival chances with USPS. They're better suited for it no doubt.

Its half tempting to send them back! But I get the feeling, they'll send the same ones back to me. So first i'll run some tests on the modules, and hope they dont pop something LOL!

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Very true, but Intel's won't be out this year. The AMD 6 core will be out in June!

Russ

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

O-man7... ROFL... I've received a few modules like that and NEVER had an issue... They were in a bubble envelop right?? They should be fine and a test or two should do you well enough I'm sure of it. :D

good luck buddy...

....gm

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Actually Intel plans a Dunnington release for the latter half of 2008, but not as early as June.

17. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sorry, got a bit confused there. Just because I didn't see anything about this CPU, I assumed it was 2009, not 2008!

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ha ha!!! So far soo good :D

Now im gonna attempt to change a few things in the bios. OF COURSE!!!
    [​IMG]

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ok. So far, every attempt to run 4 modules at 1066 spec, have failed. I assume that either the memory controller, or the board simply do not support it. One BSOD, and 3 black screens.

Its now currently running at 16.5 Multi, 212FSB(3498Mhz). It passed Prime 95, 6 minute torture test. In windows 7/vista, thats not an easy feat! Any more talk of my progress, will be posted in OC forum.