1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Bad luck with the 7750 then, so far (touching wood) I haven't had any CPUs go bad on me. Heh, do try and push for the 7850 out of the RMA, but I think you know as well as I do what the outcome of that will be :(

As far as Intel vs AMD goes, indeed this isn't an AMD thread. However, to the non-regular, coming in here, especially reading your posts in particular, they will (wrongly) assume that there is simply no reaon to buy anything but an AMD CPU. The more false information goes on in here, the more AMDs are sold under false advertising on our part. Proper statistics show what the trends really are, I see no harm in posting them.

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

what's the max oc that the 7850 can reach?

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The highest I've seen one at is 3.1 so far. Seems a bit on the low side...

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

The 7850 should be able to get higher than that. My 7750 hit 3.2 with relatively little effort. Reviews I've seen have the 7850 hitting 3.3 stable.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Interesting, as Bit-Tech couldn't gleam much out of either...

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I already got the RMA. You don't have to send the cooler back with it, so all that's needed for packing is a bubble wrap mailer, and use the original plastic container it came in. Cost's less to ship too!

I don't consider all the negative things you bring up about AMD, productive to this thread. You make it sound like we are trying to lure customers away from Intel, under false pretenses. Almost every person that's ever posted on this thread wanted to build an AMD to begin with. That's why they come here! They've had enough of being told what pieces of crap the AMD's are, when they ask questions about building one on the build thread. I hate to say it, but as the AMD's have crept up the ladder in performance, you've gotten a lot more outspoken in your opinions about AMD's shortcomings. The people that come here are looking for advice on the best bang for the buck in AMDs. They are not interested in building an Intel! We came here to get away from all the BS regarding AMD on other threads, so unless you want me to ask you to leave, enough already! It takes up too much time and space, and nobody wants to hear it! We just want to be left alone to discuss and build what we want to build, without having to hear all the negative crap, we came here to get away from! Anybody here that wants to second that, please post an "Agree"!

Respectfully,
    Russ

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

agreed! :) This is an AMD thread.

*tucks tail between legs and runs*

8. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    I found this at 3.3 from AMD/Zone

[​IMG]

I'm a bit puzzled why it doesn't overclock as well as the 7750BE. I know that when I first put mine together and went to overclock it, I set the multiplier to 17 and adjusted the voltage to 1.44v, and it ran fine. Unfortunately, I had video problems with the DS4H, so I never tried to go any higher with it, the 3.4 was easy! The cpu would only do 3.2 max in the next motherboard, a UD4H, and unfortunately suffered some CPU damage because of problems with the chipset. It's going back on Monday for a replacement!

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I can't really explain the 7850BE either, I'm sure I saw figures like 3.5Ghz when I first looked at the 7750, yet all I can find now is 3.1-3.3 ish.

As far as the negativity goes, a stronger than expected response than I was expecting for simply pointing out the power inefficiency of AMD CPUs, but I'll just treat this thread for what it really is, an enthusiasts and owners club, nothing more. Since nobody in this thread will be posting about them unless they do or will be buying one, then the fact that some of the beliefs about them are inaccurate will have no consequence. Since I am neither an AMD owner, nor do I take cover-ups and brush-asides lightly, there is little point me continuing any discussion here, especially since I have no first hand experience to go on. Thread unsubscribed.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

These are your opinions, and your choice to leave!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

lol since russ made sam leave, its liek AMD died :p

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

They'll never die. Not so long as I draw breath LOL
    [​IMG]

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,
    I never made Sam leave, that was his choice. I did suggest that if he didn't stop the Intel vs AMD, I would ask him to leave, but I have no authority to do so though! I mean how bad is it when the argument gets down to the efficiency of the system and how much wattage difference there is between the two systems. When it got down to how much you have to OC a given chip to out perform something else, it got just plain silly! Besides, it's a silly argument because in some places we are talking about as little as two watts! You could see that much variance between two random samples. I also considered it ludicrous considering that his two high power video cards draw more power than my entire computer!

It's not that the thread died, it's just until AMD's next release, there's not much to discuss that doesn't get mentioned on the build thread anyway! Pretty much everybody that was going to build an AMD has done so, so for the moment things have been quiet.

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. FredBun

FredBun Active member

People come and go, sometime sadly so sometime not, just keep this thread alive, as it is as important as the pc building thread.

I side with AMD's mainly because of price, I'm not rich but at the same time will spend extra bucks if it's worth it, as good or better Intel might be over AMD I can't see spending double or sometime triple to gain a second or two of speed, I know there are many variations of the two but mostly people chose Intel over AMD because of speed, maybe if I was a huge gamer I might see it being worth to the the extra bucks but other than that it's kind of a no brainer to myself anyway.

In the end, sometimes a good heated discussion or argument brings out some of the best idea's in people.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

not surprised phenom IIs are very very good, esp the new dual cores, which id take over an intel any day. and they can unlock 2 cores!

for a new budget build, be it gaming or not, id take the new 550X2 BE over an E73/400.

i mean unlocking 2 cores, thats amazing. for such a small price aswell.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'll second that LOL! Amd's got my vote. Perhaps if intel were not so expensive, I could be less bias ;)

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,
    Bummer, as mine won't unlock. It shows 4 cores in the setup, but when you enable ACC, it won't boot. I can adjust the ACC with AMD OD, but it doesn't unlock the cores. That's one of the reasons I may well make the next CPU, the Phenom II x3, 720. If it gets much cheaper, I'll buy one. All of those unlock to some degree. 3.5GHz seems to be about what other people are getting out of it, stable! Makes sense, as you should expect a three core to be most likely to do it because it's a failed single core in the chip and the closest thing to the quad.

So how did you like the wallpaper?

Russ

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

wall paper is sexy :D

is yours not an athalon X2? im sure only properly the phenom X2s unlock.