1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here you go russ. Im kind of afraid to mess with the NB, or anything at this point. Its extremely stable and smooth where its at now. Besides, I have other pressing matters LOL. I just wanted to see what all the hype was about regarding "SuperPi"
    [​IMG]

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

@Omega,

when you run the SuperPi tests try to disable every background program you have running. Even a few small apps can kill your result by 3-4 seconds. Especially considering my 940 scored 20 seconds at stock. On XP though, but Windows 7 shouldn't hurt your score. I haven't run SuperPi with the OC lately but now I plan to.

@Sam,

Most of the AM3 chips are AM3/AM2+ compatible. I think the 955, the 945, and the 810 are the only ones that are AM3 only yet. I know people running the tri-cores in 780G boards so I'd assume the dual cores can do the same no problem.

3. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

You should be able to use all Am3 cpu's in compatible am2+ boards. The Am3 cpu's have the dual memory controller so it will work with ddr2 and ddr3. But you might have to update the bios to get it to work.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Oh yah. Thats a given when ever I run ANY benchmark LOL! Although, avg was still in my system tray, but I dont think it takes much, not much at all. Mainly just a little memory. Im gonna compare a few tests in XP here shortly. Shutting down virtually all non essential processes.

5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Ah, 18.832 seconds SuperPi 1M at 3.7GHz.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ok. It seems there is no difference between safe mode, and normal startup. So increasing my memorys bandwidth would have an effect huh. I dont like the idea of playing around with my memory's settings again.

If I get a board in the future with onboard Graphics...SHOOT ME LOL! Because I get the feeling that that has at least a little to do with my limited options.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Where do you get the nano seconds??????

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Super Pi mod 1.5 :)

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Darn it!!! Now I have to run ALL the tests over again. LOL! No biggie. Thanks buddy :D

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Gonna have to save this for reference, when I try Oc'ing again. Im afraid its not practical right now. Perhaps if I get that second job...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Shaff hit the nail right on the head! All people care about is the speeds they can hit, not the % of overclock! I have to agree because mine does the job at a lower speed than the E6750 did. I'm totally impressed with it because it runs far better than it's benchmarks would indicate. I've raised the CPU NorthBridge a total of 400+MHz so far, and that's fattened up the memory bandwidth about 800+MBs, and it seems to do everything better and faster! I still haven't figured out the HT totally yet! LOL!! Temps are real good, and it passes Linpack. There's also faster throughput and program execution! Noticeably faster!

Best Regards.
    Russ

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    How were you able to get that screen shot? I've even tried to take a pic of the full window, but all it shows is the little active window in the middle. It should automatically keep your numbers. I know mine still shows my E6750 numbers for every mode I've run! Unless it's beaten, yours should show your best efforts to date!

Russ

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Surely you just use paint?

If all people care about is the clock speeds then that's preying on pure idiocy. Unfortunately, it works.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    You can't use Paint or Photoshop, because the only active window there is is the little finish one. Even making a pic of the whole desktop fails. All you get is the tiny finish button, which clears the results from the screen!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've never had that problem. Taking a picture of SuperPi has always given images like omega posted. Hardware acceleration problem perhaps?

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I don't think so! It's never allowed me to do it! It might be the software I use, Screen Grabber Pro! I doubt that it's a hardware acceleration issue, as it did the same thing on my Intel. Probably screen Grabber Pro. I like the program as it's easy to use and does a good job. I'm not going to change just because I can't get a pic of that window!

Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As I said, mspaint. Always worked fine for me, the only thing it can't do is game/video screenshots, for which it's fraps for games, and VLC for video. Job done!

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

vista snip ftw :D

19. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

off topic sorry but where's the work station picture gallery thread at or did it close down?

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ROFLMSOAO!!!

Russ