1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I thought it over and for what the Antec offers me, it's better suited for the job. For $150 I get a decent Active PFC 430w PSU and 2 120mm TriCool fans. All of the other cases I've looked at give you 60 or 80mm fans. I plan on using a stock AMD Cooler, as the 4850e only draws 45w. Another thing was that a lot of the MediaCenter cases have non-standard PSUs that are remote powered with a plug that mounts in a slot on the back of the case. Living with a single ODD isn't really a problem, I just like a DVD Rom drive and a DVD Burner. Also after studying the chamber design of the Antec's interior it looks like they did a really good job maximizing where the airflow goes and what it's supposed to do. The only change I might make depends on the noise levels of the two TriCool fans. They may get replaced with 2 Silverstones for more airflow with less noise! I liked the Silverstone I was looking at as well, but the small fans turned me off. besides, the Antec looks more like a piece of Stereo equipment! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  3. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Funny, Newegg doesn't even have the 5050e listed for sale?

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sytyguy,
    Newegg ran out of them on Thursday! They'll have more soon! LOL!!

Russ

5. navskin

navskin Regular member

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

navskin,
    My personal prefrence would be the freezer 64. It's what I used with the x2 4800+ and we live in one of the hottest parts of the US, and there's just a swamp cooler where it is located! 6 year vs the Zalman's 1 year warranty cements the deal for me!

Russ

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2008
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Freezer 64 is a third of the price and does the same job, to within 1 or 2 degrees.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I am most impressed with the GigaByte, but Both MBs are pretty equal. I like the ALC889A sound and the way it works with an Optical cable on my present system, and it's the same sound system as mine. I also like the MB controlled fan header for the Northbridge that the Asus lacks. These baby's get pretty hot, so it's essential to mod the NB heatsink by removing the heatsink and removing all the goop that's in contact with the chip and then replacing it with AS MX-2. I highly recommend the Antec 40mm 2200 rpm 6.5 cfm fan for the heatsink. Very quiet compared to other less powerful fans that spin at 4000 and up rpms. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835129036 I'll probably get another Forged Copper Enzotec heatsink for the NB, and this fan screws right to the fan mount. Both are highly recommended! I modded the heatsink on the BioStar and the difference in temperature was dramatic, even without a fan. Remember, this is the worlds first 55nm full video chip ever, on any MB. It does get pretty hot! It might be a very minor thing, but I would rather have a PS2 Mouse Port as a usb mouse won't always work, just like a USB keyboard doesn't always work, even when the 2.0 usb support is turned on in the bios. It's a PITA when the keyboard and mouse won't work. Makes it a much harder job to install XP-Pro. In fact you are dead in the water with a MM keyboard like mine as you can't install anything.

I also like the general layout of the GigaByte's components over the Asus. I agree with "The Tech Report" that the GigaByte is the most feature laden 708G MB currently available, at the present time. The next move for AMD is to bring out the 750 Southbridge, but I'm not going to wait 3 or 4 months for the 750 to come out, just to be able to do Raid 5!

I may have my current rig sold as soon as next week, to an Accountant friend of mine. It's a perfect machine for crunching numbers, and at 32,500 MIPS, it's plenty fast enough to run huge spreadsheets very fast. I'm looking forward to building the new one! I may have to re-think the Antec case, as the price went back up to $199.99 today. I'm not paying $200 for any case, unless it comes with a $50 bill inside! LOL!! Still, if I get what I want for mine, I'll include a Sceptre X22HG-Naga Black 22" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen, and still have money left over! not too shabby!

Russ

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

rick to be different and because I like the ASUS for price and convenience I would go with the ASUS mobo. :) Russ is a wealth of information and he has provided some links to different reviews but it all boils down to preference, availability, and price. At this point the ASUS is about $25 cheaper than the Gigabyte. :D NOT always a selling point but I trust ASUS to build a good product and it seems the people like the mobo as well. :)

Good luck with your decisions....

Russ nice little thread you got going here... may it last. :D

...gm

add: oh and that deal on the Phenom 9600 Quad for $104.99 delivered is HARD to beat!!!! Give a look see at that. :)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  12. greensman

greensman Regular member

Russ you might look at these cases. link

How bout a cheap psu.... link

...gm

just trying to spend some of Russ's money.... hehehehe. :p

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The end PSU only fits Dells, before anyone orders it :)

Number 5 would be my pick of the bunch.

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

I agree sammy on the #5 pick. ;) Oh and thanks for the "warning" on the "Dell" psu. lol. I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out or it would have missed the line up. ;)

....gm

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

Just messing around a bit and thinking about something for fun later... or maybe after x-mas. ;)

case&psu $75 delivered
    cpu $104.99 delivered
    mobo $65.99 delivered
    RAM $9.99
    HDD $54.99 delivered
    ODD Pick a couple $45 delivered

You can also get a ACF 64 for about $26.99 delivered if you want it. ;) I would.... :p

Oh this is simple. :)

Grand total after MIR.... $337.95 and that counts the cooler too. :)

HOLY COW!!! that's cheap for a QUAD core build. :D

....gm

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GM.
    With all due respect, Asus has never shown much interest or support for their lower priced motherboards, and with the experiences I had with them in the past, they are an expensive reminder of that fact! Just the fact that Asus hid their head in the sand, contending that there was nothing wrong with the P5E-SLI, while their own Forum had about 25 pages of complaints, all relating to pretty much the same issues I was having, was ridiculous! As a consumer that had problems that Asus refused to acknowledge, how else am I supposed to feel.

You'll notice that I've had no problems recommending Asus motherboards if they suited the needs of the person inquiring. As I said to Rick, The GA-MA78GM-S2HP, IMO is the better choice. I base that on my almost 3 year experience with using GigaByte motherboards in two different platforms. They were easy to build and overclock, and the quality has been outstanding. BTW, the price difference is only $10 at the moment. I'll gladly spend that much to have the piece of mind that if I ever do have a problem I can talk to someone with knowledge of their products and don't constantly tell you "I never heard of that before" to every issue that may come up. To me it's a question of getting competent help when you need it, rather than frustration at the lack of knowledge by people who are there, supposedly to help solve your problems! I would even pay a higher price for the Peace of Mind that goes with that!

I've built over 50 systems this past year using mostly BioStar and GigaByte motherboards. I've built a few Asus systems at the customer's request (5 I think) and I have had to RMA 1 BioStar, 1 gigaByte and 2 Asus MBs. I don't like that percentage of failure at all! I just don't trust Asus to build a quality product when it comes to lower priced components! It doesn't help when you are told by the Asus Rep, as I have that you should have bought a better MB!

Respectfully,
    Russ

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Neither do I, if I'm honest.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

OK! One item at a time. I like the case, but unfortunately the door isn't reversible as my computer sits to my right. PSU that comes with it is good. Forget the 9600 as it runs hot and still uses the work-around for the processor problem, which slows it down even more! Put a 4850e in it instead and wait for the next generation Quad from AMD. I still wouldn't buy any inexpensive Asus MB, get the GigaByte! Ram is decent.
    This is what I would build for now!
    http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/4994/dealck9.jpg
    Comes to $358.90 less $30 corsair MIR for a total cost of $328.90!

Russ

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

20. spamual

spamual Guest

pssshhht...(edit button) :D

on a more serious note, the P5N-E has to be the worlds worst mobo :D!

also there are altos of reports of stable LN2 denebs at over 5GHz. as in stable playing farcry2 :O

come on water a 4GHz :D