1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well luckily it's one of the newer B3 Phenom Is otherwise I'd say forget it. The old ones are so bad at OCing they effectively can't OC at all without lots of skill and patience. On his CPU though you might reasonably expect 2.6GHz without much of a fight.

The memory setup for Phenom is about the same on every board AFAIK and I just OC'd a Phenom I dual core on a 780G board so I might be of some help.

You actually have to change the memory multiplier. At least on my board you have something like 2x, 3.33x, 4x or something along those lines. And that multi times your FSB is the direct RAM speed.

On Phenom I quads atleast I don't recommend OCing the RAM. They are already bi**es to OC without uncertain memory issues mucking it up. Not to mention he's using 4 sticks which would further hinder things. Rather, use the memory multiplier to adjust RAM speed and keep it as close to stock as possible relating to your FSB. In fact he should turn it down a few notches to start and find maximum stability with just the FSB before he even tries the memory at stock speed. Then he can adjust it to near stock. And if all looks good he can try to up the memory multi a notch if he really wants to OC the RAM.

Also keep in mind the Hyper Transport and Northbridge frequencies. IIRC these are both 1800MHz stock for Phenom I. Both independently controlled by a separate multi. Both can reasonably be expected to go up to 2GHz and with a little voltage on the NB, 2.2GHz is attainable. You can have them at independent clocks, but I suggest that they be kept the same speed though for stability's sake.

Much further than that I can't help you. My Phenom I is a Black Edition and I used the CPU multi to OC and the onboard EPP to control my memory as per Russ' suggestion. And I expect you understand voltages well enough to help him with fine adjustments.

OCing isn't really something you can do based entirely off of advice though. Every board and chip will be unique. The best way to do it is proper trial and error.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If he did 10%, that's 2.42Ghz, and that's getting quite close to the maximum that chip can overclock. He may be able to get 2.5 or 2.55 out of it, but very little further. I'd advise against telling him he can go for big numbers, he can't.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Here you go kiddies! Phenom II x2 550 at 6GHz

[​IMG]

Now you're talking!

Russ

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

now sam, what percentage OC is that?!!?? :p

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Now THAT is impressive! I think I would still take my Quad over that though :p Definitely an eye popper NO MISTAKE!

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thanks for the info on my buddies stuff. he has it at 2.42ghz now. he said it isnt 100% stable . i told him he needs to increase his vcor volts a little ata time to get it there.and his temps with this oc, at idle is 32c and under load before it fails the test is 44c so he is in a good range for temps.

now for a real nice OC on a real nice C2D.
    [​IMG]

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

You playing with Photoshop again Rob? ROFLMSOAO!!! PC2-5300? Why on earth would anyone use 667MHz memory, and only 1 1024MB stick of it in single channel. That would kind of cripple the memory performance and bandwidth, don't you think? LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh look, the core voltage is missing! :p
    Ironically, it's actually not as high as some overclocks Intel's CPUs can pull off with standard fare air cooling, that there is a 93.5% overclock.
    The old E2140 could manage about 110% on air, but of course is barely half as fast as that CPU stock...

Russ: Single channel memory is probably the only config he could get to work with a 700mhz FSB on that chip. He could have at least used an E8600 to get a 10x multiplier, make things a little easier.

9. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Russ,

Just of curiosity are you running "F2" BIOS on your UD4H?

TIA

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Haha that's true. I've seen most hit 3.2GHz but a few have done 3.4, 3.6. It's apparent that they severely underclock the chips at stock, but it's still pretty impressive for such a cheap CPU.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, they eventually extended the E2 range as far as the E2220, at 2.4Ghz Stock. That should say something, there's rarely a 50% difference in the stock frequencies of an architecture. The early AM2 Athlon X2s were probably the only other example at 2.0Ghz to 3.0Ghz, but I'm not sure if there was ever a time when both ends of the scale were on sale at the same time.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    The core voltage is missing because either it doesn't read it from that board or it's the implementation of the chipset on that MB! That often happens with new CPUs, until the bios flashes catch up. It more often than not, does not show on the validation screen. My 7750-BE was the same way until the newest bios came out and I flashed it. Doing so enabled more adjustments in the setup too! Everest does the same thing, but there the trick is to figure out which voltage is what, if they are there at all. For instance, my +2.5v is actually the memory voltage, CPU Temp is the motherboard, and the motherboard Temp is the CPU. You will also notice that only one core is active on both of them. That gains you about 50MHz in the overclock.

BTW! We have had this discussion about CPU-Z's validation screen not showing the voltage before! In fact I was the one that pointed it out in a post a while ago, so you can can the "Oh look", because it's a common thing, and pretty much everyone here knows it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm well aware it's not missing deliberately, but I dread to think what it actually is. I think a sustainable overclock is much more impressive than the highest number you can produce.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sytyguy,
    Yes, it's F2. There's a new F3A out, but I'm reluctant to try it because it runs so good with the F2.

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I agree! If you can't use it 24/7, what good is it! Still, it's better than a picture of the setup screen! LOL!!

Russ

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A little better I suppose... hehe.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    At least it proves that XP will boot up with it and run, cause otherwise CPU-Z won't! LOL!!

Russ

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

19. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Thanks. I saw that, IIRC, the F3A is for the Phenom X3 CPU. Not sure if it would benefit us.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sytyguy,
    The problem is not so much what they tell you it does, but rather what they don't tell you it does.

I ran into a problem with Gina's build on the Asus P5N-E where one tech told me to flash the bios with a certain one and then when it didn't work out, it wouldn't let me go back to the older bios that at least worked some of the time. I called back and got a different tech who told me that I shouldn't have done it. There were things that popped up in my setup that appeared after the F2 flash that weren't mentioned in the description at all that would have been helpful if I had just known. It worked out OK this time, but having to ship a motherboard because you couldn't go back to an older bios is insane. All it did was tell me access denied! It was on the list of bios, but denied me access! I've never experienced that problem with any other motherboard before or since! What was even worse is that it told me to save the first bios so I could go back to it if the new one didn't work, which I did! It just wouldn't work! LOL!! I'll wait and see what the final F3 does first!

Best Regards,
    Russ