1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Well, I will just stay away from F3A, until I know I can use it, and it is safe.

BTW, I purchased the 550BE CPU, should be arriving soon.

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i new that was comeing..lol

no,no photoshop there. its all legit. there are 6 i think recorded cpu-z vlidations of clock speeds over 6.3ghz. and if you look at the AMD test Russ posted there is no v-core volts there either.

and i agree 1 stick of PC 5300? thats what made me post that shot instead of others.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    Like I told Sam, many of the new motherboards won't record the CPU voltage. Mine didn't until the 3rd bios flash. It didn't even display the model of the CPU until the second flash. That's when it opened up new adjustments in the bios. You did notice that the same comment wasn't applied to your post, as it doesn't show the Core voltage either!

I was just joking about Photoshop. I figured you would laugh and take it in the spirit that was meant when I wrote it! LOL!! Did you notice too, that both had 1 core shut down? That adds about 50MHz to the overall speed. If you benchmarked one against the other, The AMD would kick the Intel's butt what with 4GB of memory, even at a lower clock speed. It can't come close to the memory bandwidth of 2x2GB 1066 memory, in spite of the higher latencies. It would spend too much time paging the hard drive! It's still nice to see AMD moving up in the world, That's good for all our pocketbooks, and that's what counts the most. By the way, I googled "Record CPU-Z overclock, E8400" and got more than 6 validated ones over 6.2GHz, so I guess the number will continue to climb! I still think if you can't afford the x4 Phenom II 940, that the best choice would be the x3 Phenom II 720!

I'm still hunting an 8x AGP card and some PC3200 memory for the Dell Dimension 8300 I have. Somebody here on AD has to have some sitting around collecting dust. I'm not about to fork out $50 for a 6+ year old design, FX-5200 and $40 or more for decent memory. Not when I'm giving the computer away to a friend in need. I owe him big time for giving me a place to live after we were burned out in the wildfires of August 03. Didn't know the man, but he took me in on the say so of a friend. I want to show my gratitude for that act of kindness while I can!

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

actualyl russ thats 2000mhz DDR3 IICR.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As it happens Russ, back home I have 2x1GB of PC3200, Corsair, CAS3, and an old Radeon 9200 AGP 8x that should work, the rival (and slightly more powerful) to the FX5200. No external power required. I haven't used it for nearly 5 years though, no idea if it still works. The RAM was working as of summer 2008 when it was last tested.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Thank you so much, you are a lifesaver. Send me a PM and let me know what you need for them and we can work out the details off the thread.

Warmest Regards,
    Russ

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Edit: Sorry, just read you wanted it in a PM. I'll move it there.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! I have a fairly substantial amount of ram. I don't doubt that at least 2-4 sticks are 3200. My brothers dell and my neighbors computer require them. Thats how I ended up with them. The rest are 6400, 2100, and 1 or 2 2700's. Yah, I know. Im a packrat LOL! :D I dont throw anything away that works. Im gonna sell most of it on ebay some day :D Or perhaps i'll employ it somehow.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sorry, I boobed! :>)

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

11. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Yeah, those and the UD4H, and there could be more.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    That was a MFL screw-up! LOL!! As in Major Freekin League screw up. I was switching back and forth between PMs and here to check something and got them crossed! LOL!! My Multi-tasking is broke! I'm getting a 404 error! ROFLMSOAO!!

Russ

Russ

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sytyguy,
    Newegg shows 19 motherboards that can run AM2, AM2+ and AM3. As I understand it it has more to do with the bios and components on the motherboard than anything else. Some boards just can't handle the power demands. My UD4H can run them all, except if a chip was AM3 only and doesn't have a DDR2 memory controller.

You know as well as I do that the AMD site is a train wreck when it comes to finding information! You would have an easier time pulling your own wisdom teeth than finding out for sure what's compatible with what! LOL!! When in doubt, pick up the phone and call them, as their customer service is very good! It took me all of 5 minutes to get my RMA, with maybe a 30 second wait. Results may vary! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks guys.

I may bite the bullet, and just S**t can the MSI board thats faulty, and go with a gigabyte board, or the asus. Im not liking the hoops that MSI's site wants me to jump through. Im gonna try navigating there site tomorrow when his computer is right in front of me. This situation just has me VERY angry!

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    If he has a video card, chances are pretty good that this would be an excellent choice.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128387
    It's what I would get if I was buying right now. There's more expensive boards if you want, but this one pretty much has everything the UD4H has+ without the OBG! 1333 memory standard too!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Meh, that looks like a board I could love LOL! In fact, i'd probably buy it for myself if I had the green :D

My brother doesn't require extreme systems, in fact, im looking more toward the Micro Atx side of things. I think his case would take an ATX board, but it would probably heat things up, and just crowd things. Appreciate the thought though :D

Curious, could a corrupt bios, cause hangups in windows, and cause erratic posting??? Ive been toying with the notion of flashing his bios. His board was fairly cutting edge when I bought it.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I don't think so! First reason is that a corrupt bios, or any file for that matter, won't open at all. Second, the post has to complete before windows will start, and if the file can't open because it's corrupt, Windows won't start and you would get some sort of error message.

For your brother this would be best then.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128379
    It has OBG, but it does turn off if he has a video card. Single PCI-E 16x, 5 internal Sata, 1 E-Sata, only 4 external usb with headers for 8 more ports on the motherboard. 4+1 Power regulation and enough flexability to keep him happy. Handles up to 140w CPUs. AM2, AM2+ and AM3. It's what Fred has! Good solid motherboard! Check it out!

Russ

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I'm 100% sure. Here's the links!

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...ard&ProductID=2995&ProductName=GA-MA78GM-US2H

Support for Socket AM3 / AM2+ / AM2 processors: AMD Phenom™ FX processor/ AMD Phenom™ X4 processor/ AMD Phenom™ X3 processor/ AMD Athlon™ X2 processor/ AMD Athlon™ processor/ AMD Sempron™ X2 processor/ AMD Sempron™ processor

Russ

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! Im sorry. I forgot to NEVER trust newegg with their less than trustworthy info. ;)