1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I don't think Orthos runs more than two cores, that's why! Open the task manager and see how many cores are at 100%. I'm pretty sure there's only two as the program only runs two instances of Marse Prime!

Russ

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I'm talking about my 7750 BE! It's a dual core CPU. Non-unlocked BTW Read my edit if you haven't.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    It's not reading the CPU temp accurately! You can't have a lower than Ambient temperature for the CPU. It's just not possible! It has to be at least a couple of degrees warmer unless it's water cooled!

Russ

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well those are the CPU and Ambient temp readings. I surmise the Ambient thermistor is by the Chipset.

5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

This is also WITH offsets as confirmed by a Laser thermometer.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    I understand ambient to mean room temperature. If the ambient temperature is being shown by the computer, it would mean the temperature inside your case. You still can't have a CPU run cooler than it's environment, so it's not reading correctly!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well those temp readings are directly from the sensors in the 780G board. Please explain why it would report a higher ambient temp. Keep in mind the case is effectively partitioned by the 9800GTX and the CPU has its own air intake fan feeding it. It could possibly be reading from the bottom half of the board closer to the video card.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    99.9% of the time Ambient temperature refers to the temperature of the room you are in! That's what really matters. What's the room temperature? What model MB and case do you have?

Russ

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ambient temperature if reported by the motherboard is the temperature around the board, not the room temperature, so it will differ by several degrees, especially if you run a quiet system rather than a high-airflow one.

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

The room temp is probably 70*F or so. The board is a Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3HP. The case is a Cooler Master Centurion 5(mesh front with dust filter). 1 x 120mm exhaust fan, an 80mm intake in front of the HDDs and a custom installed 80mm intake just below the CD drive lined up with the Freezer 64 Pro. There is a 9800GTX+ video card in it which is long enough to effectively partition the top and bottom halves of the case. The 80mm intake fans separately feed the two halves.

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

This makes sense as the case is using all low RPM Cooler Master fans. It's definitely not room temp. That's why I figured the thermistor was near something hotter on the board. It's a sensor right on the board inside the case so I figured it was picking up heat from one of the countless components that get hot in a modern PC.

Plus it's the one that Speedfan directly labels as Ambient so I have to believe there's some credibility. If I could find it I'd hit it with the laser thermometer and set it accurately. But for now that reading is all I really have to go off of.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  12. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

My dual core temps ran good as shown in my profile.Has anybody got any info on the AMD BE TWKR PhenomII 42 to be released on the 30th?My profile shows a Bios shot of it

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814141083
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121302
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121259
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125251

Which of these video cards do you think would be best accommodatingly to this GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128387&Tpk=MA790X-UD4P

Keep in mind this is for Video only [NO GAMING]
    Or give me a recommendation with HDMI on what you might use

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! :D

Thats the board I just bought. Though i'll be slapping my Nvidia GTX 260 (216 cores) in it. It runs quite nicely on the GA-MA790GX. But if your interested in ati, Sam may just be the guy to ask. Im sure he's listening :D

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    I'll be willing to bet it's a good deal warmer than 70F in the room, as it starts to get a little chilly around 73-74F to me. It's 82F in here right now as measured on my desktop with a mercury thermometer, and it's quite comfortable. It's 100F outside at the moment, so it's quite hot out! I guess I've never seen a ambient temperature reported by a motherboard before. I've seen cases that had their own temperature sensor and digital readout, but I can't recall ever seeing one on a motherboard before. Then again, Everest and others haven't exactly been supporting AMD platforms for a number of years now, so you are apt to get some strange readings and descriptions anyway. With mine, my CPU and Motherboard temps are reversed and the +2.5v actually shows my memory voltage. I confirmed the temperature swap with Easytune, and the memory voltage by changing it and seeing it change the +2.5v! EPP keeps the memory voltage between 1.86v and 2.11v depending on the load, so I don't even bother with setting the memory voltage, I leave it on Auto. If you have EPP memory and your motherboard supports it, turn on the EPP and turn the memory voltage to Auto, as it's performs better than you can adjust it by hand because it constantly adjusts everything on the fly according to demand, so it's always right up to the second in voltage and timings. It also increases the memory bandwidth on mine about 800MBs, so throughput is improved as it improves the speed between the memory controller and physical memory because it can move more information to the memory controller, which makes it faster running at the same speed because of the increased amount of data the higher bandwidth is carrying

Russ

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

For windows Xp, do the Raid drivers HAVE to be loaded from a floppy? Thats complete BS! Surely the mainboards support loading from a flashdrive by now. Could someone shed some light on this? Or should I just fully embrace windows 7 LOL! Supposedly Vista supports loading it from the mobo optical disk. I imagine Windows 7 is the same.

Thanks in advance
    Kevin

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rick,
    I'm not a big fan (no pun intended) of passive cooling for video cards! I would choose the GigaByte because of it having a fan, because then, no matter what, it will always get some air! That card should work fine with that motherboard for your needs. You certainly can't beat the price! I should buy one and set up Hybrid Crossfire on mine since the DVI attaches to the PCI-E card and will work with my monitor!

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

theonejrs : What Video card did you say you bought with HDMI

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    You can do it with a flash drive. Check your motherboard manual, but as far as I'm concerned, go ahead and install the OS and hit the F6 key when prompted, and then plug in your flash drive. Works on mine!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rick,
    This is what I have!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127373

It's not on sale at the moment, but my total cost was $44! I just got the $15 Rebate from MSI last week!

The GigaByte card I linked you before is not as good because it's a 64 bit card while this one is 128 bit. It's an Excellent card for my purposes. I play a little games and mostly do video stuff and graphics. I'm not sure if you can even do true 32 bit color with a 64 bit memory interface. I'm on my third Miller, so I'm not going to even try and figure that one out! LOL!!

Russ