1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

so...ok, I believe that there has to be a way to use the flash drive. But, the "menu.exe" on the mobo disk that sets up the raid Floppy disk, will ONLY acknowledge a floppy disk. So...will simply copying the appropriate folder (BootDrv) to the flash drive be enough? And when I boot off of the Xp install disk, hit F6, and navigate in such a way (Flash drive), i'll know what to do there?

Simply put, copy the appropriate Driver directory to the flash drive.

Thanks Russ,
    Kevin

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Kevin,
    Please scratch that. It was the bios flash where it shows up as the A drive. My Bad! It could be done, but you would have to load the USB driver first. It's simpler than I thought. Download the file and put it on a flash drive and it should boot. Check your HDD boot priority and turn on zip. It should run from there!

Russ

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I would choose the HD4350, and a passive one. very small fans are often noisy and irritating, passive cooling for such low power cards is never a problem.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

In any case, in 30 minutes, both of my towers are being unplugged, and reconfigured LOL! Im gonna give my secondary, the VelociRaptor(Windows 7), and my new mobo is going in the primary tower, with 5000AAKS X 2 Raid0. Yes, im aware of how risky that is LOL! I love to experiment, and besides...its not gonna see anything that can't be reinstalled, or crucial data. I have to see its performance difference for myself...

Edited - Because im no longer going with XP. Ive heard that XP x64 is pretty dodgy, and windows 7 is the future. Might as well embrace it LOL! Perhaps if this Array works out, I can give the other tower an Array :D However, next time (Regardless) it will be Solid State Disk!

Please forgive me, if I upset anyone :(

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Quite true. Windows 7 is in such an advanced state of completion and is already miles better than Vista. Most users could happily switch to it now and love it. Not to mention it seems to configure itself and manage memory and stuff based on hardware. It runs as well as XP on lots of slower machines. Obviously there's a limit. Old Pentium 2 machines and stuff won't run it at all. But I've already had a 933MHz P3 machine with 384MB of RAM and a GeForce 4 running it beautifully.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yes indeed, Estuansis :)

Eeeeeek!!! My main machine is a shambles LOL! At least I have my secondary 99% complete. It would be 100%, but A while back I added a 120mm fan to its PCI area. That fan I have discovered to be extremely loud. For the time being it will remain unplugged. Gonna need a controller for that beast!!! I swear it must be doing 2,500rpm's easy.

Now for the fun part. Removing the 790Gp, and slapping in the 790X. Can't wait to see how the Processor does on the new board :D

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Oh very nice. Good luck on the hardware switch. Take your dang time, lol. I've messed up a few things because I was too quick to get it running. In fact, now I think of it as less slapping in, and more of a carefully planned transplant of sensitive hardware ;P

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! Yes yes, Transplant! There will be NO slapping LOL!

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

well...I just ran into something unusual. The new board has an unusual ATX bolt layout. Rather than 9 bolt holes, it has 7. And im only able to use 6 on my HAF 932. I made up a diagram to show the difference. Please excuse the crudity/simplicity LOL!

notice that the right side top and bottom bolt holes are gone, and the middle right side hole is moved slightly to the left. Most unusual. I cant use the seventh hole either.
    [​IMG]

It would appear that the 790X is AT LEAST a 1/2inch smaller.

Mmm hmm.

12.0 x 9.2 (790X)
    12.0 x 9.6 (790Gp)

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I don't know what causes these differences in Size. I've seen the right on a lot of boards, including my own Gigabyte 780G board. It must have to do with the layout of the board. Chipsets, connectors, slots, etc.

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

At least it wasn't some BIZARR bolt layout LOL!

So far so good :D It posts at least 10-20% quicker on this board. I suppose that could be due to default settings, and I haven't made changes yet. The southbridge is the same, so im sure there is a logical reason for that. Perhaps it has F4 bios. Not sure yet. I was running F2 on the other board I believe. Im installing windows 7 now.

Just noticed that my AAKS drives have different firmwares. I hope that doesnt compromise anything. At least I think thats what was showing in the bios.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Heres something freaky. I was bolting on the VGA connection, while laying my arm on the tower. My other arm bumped a USB connection that is hooked up to a printer that is turned on. I got zapped by my tower, and yet it wasn't even revieving power yet! Isn't that unusual!

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...Raid's gonna have to wait til tomorrow. For whatever reason, its not working on windows 7 tonight. My next trick is hooking them up in numerical order. See...the 2 drives in question may be hooked up to Sata ports 2 and 3, or 4 and 5 which may confuse it eh? Enabling the onboard Raid had an effect, but still not the effect I was looking for. My brain feels like Tapioca pudding tonight. So i'll continue in the morn LOL!

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

You have a ground fault somewhere! My guess is the power to the Tower has a poor ground somewhere in the circuit. It would be a good idea to put a GFI outlet in place of the one the tower is plugged into now. Keep you from frying things, or yourself!

Russ

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Interesting development, at newegg in the US, the X4 955BE is at $245 versus the Q9550's $230. At Scan in the UK, the X4 955BE has had its second cut down to £160, whereas the Q9550 is £10 more at £170.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Its ran to a fused power strip at the moment. Not a bad idea russ. I may just have to do that. Those particular outlets dont cost much eh. Probably 2-5 bucks at "home depot."

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Uh oh!!! I totally forgot that my bro's PSU only has 4pin cpu connector. The DS4H has an 8 pin Cpu connection. If im only running a Dual core, will the 4 pin suffice? Or should I attempt to find an adapter?

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    This is what I use when I come across this problem!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812887002

While most will work with just the single 4 pin connector, they may not work properly!

Russ

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I just read something that says it works as well.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/can-4-pin-12v-header-use-8-pin-socket-32152/
    It is only the 5200 Athlon. Even overclocked, surely 1 header is enough for a dual core. Heck, 1 headers were covering the 6400 athlon. Im gonna try it here in few minutes. It will however be 2+ hours before I can reply back. Thanks for your quick post Russ :D

Kevin

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

One 4-pin is perfectly adequate as long as you don't overclock it. I've never come across an 8-pin board that wants all 8 pins to even boot. Most of the time the extra 4 pins are actually covered up at first.