1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rick,
    I would choose this memory. Timings of 7-7-7-18, 1.5-1.6v
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146868 You could go to cas6, but there's only 3 1333 ones to choose from, and two of them are Crucial and the other are those tall OCZs with the cooler on the top. They also run higher voltage than the Mushkin I recommended! I know a couple of guys who use it in some pretty serious gaming rigs, and they like it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd certainly stay away from Crucial and high voltage OCZ.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Actually, You are right. Thanks, I'll change it!

Russ

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's not so much a problem nowadays as 940 is long dead and buried, but back when AM2 was first released many shops simply put it in the socket 940 section, which was extremely misleading.

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

theonejrs : So what you're saying its better to go with 2-2gig sticks, then with 4-1gig sticks
    I always thought it was better to spread it out 4=parts rather then 2=parts

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, 2x2GB is much better than 4x1GB.

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Thanks fellas I'll get the 2-2s

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rick,
    You're going to have a real nice computer there! Good luck with the new build!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

theonejrs : Just replacing the MOBO, got everything else,Oh except new memory I'll soon. Right now I've got 4-1gig sticks DDR2
    Guess I'll be upgrading to GDR3

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...BLASTED! I shut my primary down last night, with the thought I would start it up in the morning, uninstall the Ethernet driver, forcing windows 7 to reinstall the native driver. Well...It would appear to have fixed itself! The bug is gone! That makes me nervous. Something tells me I better get a backup Ethernet card! Although something interesting...Windows 7 update shows an optional update for my ethernet controller! I guess we'll see how the day transpires LOL!

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Uh oh! Now im strongly leaning toward a bad ethernet port. I guess it was only a matter of time, til I got a bad mobo. An ethernet port should ALWAYS light up, Right? Despite the drivers that are installed. Well...its not lighting up. Ive tried 2 different cords to no avail. Any chance newegg would send me a new board, before I send the dodgy board back, so im not without LOL?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, faulty NIC.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Negative.

In the bios, everything checks out. RIGHT when windows loads its driver, sh*t hits the fan LOL! Almost looks like sabotage! I know, that sounds like paranoia LOL. Windows restore won't work, the update just made it worse than it was, im gonna try a few more tricks in a second here. But now it looks like complete driver BS!

Sorry, the light doesnt show quite so well on my newer cord :(

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...I suppose its still possible that its a dodgy port. Im gonna watch it VERY closely over the next day or two.

I booted into safemode, and in doing so, It successfully removed the update, and now it seems to be back to normal at the moment. I wish I kept that damn error window now! I'd like to send it to microsoft. I suppose I could recreate the steps. Meh, I'll wait a few days :)

15. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I categorically never, ever allow Microsoft Updates anywhere near my machines :) - even on the RC1 build of Win7

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

yah...usually I dont either. This was an optional update too. I figured since this is their working prototype, why not help them in every way possible. Im enjoying it believe it or not LOL! :D The occasional bug is welcome on my computers LOL LOL! Keeps me on my toes and teaches me more things.

17. creaky

I forget to mention before. Are you sure it's not your router ?.
    I personally use Static DHCP so that i get the same IP assigned to PC's and game consoles each time. I mention it because my Gigabyte mobo has twin ethernet ports, and when i first moved in here i couldn't connect as i'd plugged into the wrong port unknowingly, and DD-WRT was blissfully unawhere that i was plugged into the wrong port. Will have to watch out for that again as am moving house again in a few weeks, it's going to be a mammoth task in making sure everything is connected up properly.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

That would be an EXTREME coincidence. Every time I screwed with the drivers, it effected it. Doesn't seem to be hardware related at the moment. But, last night still remains a mystery...

Also note, that my secondary has virtually no trouble with the router/modem. if its hardware, its the ethernet port.

I'll be watching it like a hawk!!!

19. creaky

I see. Just edited my previous reply.

'Note to Kevin' - stop bloody messing :) :) - things work better when they're left alone. Main router has a measly 46 days uptime at the moment which will be disrupted when i move, i have got to the stage where it no longer needs any tweaks, all settings are perfect so it just stays up permanently now.

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! Isn't that the truth :D