1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I remember the post as well, though I don't remember exactly what was said, and it was more an explanation of why it's sensible that a new cpu design should have a socket, not simply that "new tech MUST be new socket". Why the fuss over what was said back then anyway?
    So what's the 790X-UD4P being replaced with?

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

lol sam i dont even rememebr me posting that!

no probelm though russ, i probably said something or another anyhows lol.

too much tobacco in me.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

is exactly why I don't :p

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    It's the 790GP-UD4H that's being replaced with the 790X-UD4P.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128387

I gain two more Sata ports (8) and a second PCI-E slot, and a couple of other minor goodies, and no On Board Graphics! I can't figure for the life of me why GigaByte discontinued it. It's a very popular motherboard, with very high customer ratings! I was just lucky that Newegg still had them in stock. I get back $11 to boot! I'm looking forward to it!

The fuss was because I didn't want to be putting words in Shaff's mouth. I knew he said something about it, but like you, I couldn't remember exactly what was said. As I said before after thinking about it, It was probably just one of his little "jokes"! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I know that, but since they said the 790X-UD4P was discontinued, I was asking what Gigabyte were replacing it with, in their model range.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oh! I thought you made a mistake with the numbers, when it was me that made the mistake! LOL!! I was told that the OBG is going to be the HD-4000 series and will be able to be used in Crossfire-X! Time will tell! I'm just glad to be getting the 790X-UD4P before they run out of them! It's also $30 cheaper right now!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I think it's an HD4200, which from what I can gather is similar to the HD3450?

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Old news ain't it? This is perhaps more interesting:
    http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=19703

Pretty much exactly as expected, where a 955BE matches a Q9550, a 965BE matches a Q9650. Problem is, unlike the other Phenom IIs, it's a genuine 125W chip and eats power at load, and as expected, it still only clocks to the same 3.8-3.9Ghz. Not a chip for the overclocking enthusiast this one.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey, I post em when I find em! LOL!! It's not the worst wattage wise, as the Core i7's own that title! It would make a healthy contribution, and compliment my new motherboard, quite well! LOL!! Maybe not a chip for the overclocking enthusiast but could easily be the heart of any real good AMD quad system!

Decent enough test from Hexus, but the tone of their text was plainly that they are upset at AMD for being so far behind Intel. There's an old saying, "You can't change the past, but you can change the future"! Look back just one year and you can see that AMD have done just that! They forgot about their past failures and changed the future! AMD now holds about 31.5% of the overall CPU market. It's been a very long time since Intel had less than 70%! I think had the economy not gone south, it would be a very different story. AMD might have even gone under! We will have to wait and see how the Core i5 works out, and then wait for AMD's response, if needed! I somehow don't think that AMD will let us down like they did with socket AM2! They must have shown something good to the people who bought the Fabs. Enough at least to get them to take over their entire indebtedness, some 53 Billion dollars worth! That's a hell of a lot of faith to have without knowing some future planed CPUs in the works!

Russ

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

i7s own the title for most power still, but i7s also still own the crown for highest performance. Maybe not in games, but certainly other fields, and the fact that the 965BE can barely make a 15% overclock versus the 40+ of the i7s means an enthusiast's CPU it ain't. It's a welcome addition that means slightly higher performance stock systems can now be sold with AMD processors, but its appeal is limited, the 955BE is a lot more efficient, presumably a lot cheaper, and only 200mhz behind.
    Core i5 will be interesting to see, I just worry whether intel will make it price-competitive enough to really drive competition forward.

12. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i think there is no place for the 965, a 140wTDP and doesnt overclock more thant the 955.....

btw:

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/14948/35/

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Interesting, looks like a plateau...

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I refuse to believe the Q6600 is still the most popular selling CPU. Three months ago maybe, but you just don't see PCs with them any more due to the vastly lower cost of the Q8000 series.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    That's why I said "Given the age" It's what's been sold the most, followed by the E8400 Wolfdale. Two of Intel's most enduring chips!

Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

yeah, what's been sold, it was an ideally priced CPU back in its time.

18. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

your right Russ i believe the E8400 Wolfdale has been sold the most out of all the prices are dropped in the last 6 months i payed more 2 years ago for my E6750 then..I payed for my E8400 EO & my Q9550 EO that's a shame sould have waited..I have never order a chip in my life aways got them from micro center...

19. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

My 7750BE was $60 open box when i got it from Newegg. Probably one of the best price/performance buys ever when I got it. Intel dropped their prices fairly quickly though.

My Q6600 was $265 when I got it. Maybe Q3 of last year now? I'm fairly sure they've been phased out in favor of faster, cooler, cheaper, better clocking models. I was lucky to a G0 stepping with a 1.25VID. Apparently most of those got scooped up by then?

Got my E6750 for $150 quite a while back now. Maybe Q4 2007? I dunno just guessing here. It was a great deal at $10 less than the E6600 it replaced and $100 less than when I bought my original E6600. Bought mine in early 2007 for $250 and it quickly got replaced by the E6750. The E6750 OC'd well too. I could get it stable at 3.7GHz but the voltage and temps were best at 3.4GHz. I also had an AC Freezer 7 Pro though so maybe with one of my TuniQ 120s I could have had better luck? Really my Q6600 OC'd a bit better.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My E5200 was £50, I consider that a good deal for a retail CPU. You can get an E5300 for that now though. I paid £130 for my Q6600 in September 08, but that was shortly before the pound fell against the dollar and they went up to £160.