1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2009
  2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hmm! I've seen 3.7-3.8GHz on the 790X-UD4P. One of many reasons I wanted it! Higher if you want to go water cooled!

I know three people who have the X3-720BE. One on a 790GP-UD4H, one on a 790X-UD4P and one on the high dollar Asus! All are 3.7 or above! Both the UD4P and the Asus are running at 3.8GHz! It's nice to see the much cheaper 790X-UD4P able to clock with the $200 Asus board!

What was that you said before? If I had only waited! LOL!! The story of computers! You are always waiting for the next big bad whatever when it comes to computers. If I had just waited another couple of weeks, I would have bought this motherboard, hands down! There's no differences in it's adjust ability between it and the 790GP-UD4H. Same exact setup! EPP memory will pay for itself in added performance if your motherboard supports it! While you can tweak all the adjustments in the memory settings, you can't do it on the fly! The EPP controller can and does, based on demand!

The memory performance looks very good too!

[​IMG]

The rating might be second, but you don't get much closer to First than this!

[​IMG]

Even with the old Sandra, the memory bandwidth was over 6200MB/s, and that's with the CPU running at 3.02GHz! The encode times with the last couple of DVD's I ran through DVDRB/CCE 2 Pass, were both in the 17 minute bracket, Total! In the low 23's on the Encode speed! I don't know what I've done to cause that, but I'm being very careful what I touch in the bios! All I've done since is raise the CPU multi from 2700 to 2800,2900 and finally 3000. Then I set the HT link frequency and the NB VID frequency to 2000MHz. I haven't touched another thing! It runs very nice! It's getting to be a very comfortable and quiet machine!

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be fair Russ, I very rarely see any difference between $120 and $200 boards at overclocking on any platform. The only time it differs is with the really cheap boards due to weaker voltage regulation. Contrary to what most people think, buying the most expensive motherboard just for extra overclocking isn't going to work.

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

it will with extreme sub zero overclocks but nor air/water.

sometimes water.

i mean people are hitting 4GHz with i920 D0 with a £130 MSI x58-PRO (SLI)

and some struggle to get that with a Rampage II Extreme.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's about as good a way of proving my point as you get. Other than crazy LN2 or maybe Phase, you aren't going to see much difference.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not bad, but that's where high end R&D pays off, and thus why at the moment the chip is $1000, and only really suitable for servers due to the very low performance per core. In multithreaded environments it's still as good as an overclocked Phenom II X3, but for a home PC that CPU would be slow as hell. Lower TDP is much easier to achieve at lower clock speeds due to the voltages required. Getting a decent home CPU out of that will be tricky.
    Not dismissing the achievement, but I wouldn't expect a desktop version of that chip any time soon that will be any good.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I meant from a technology standpoint, trickling down to the Consumer Market. Don't sell the Opteron so short though. The 1.8GHz 2419EE delivers 30% better performance per watt than AMD's quad-core Opteron 2384, a 2.7GHz, 75-watt processor. That's quite an improvement! I do think we will see a Phenom II x6 next year, maybe even sooner!

Russ

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I do too, but I don't think it will be related to this particular Opteron chip.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You think it'll be a power guzzler? LOL! Sign me up!!! :D Nah, seriously though, I imagine a six core Phenom, will either match the current power usage, or be more efficient. That would certainly be impressive...

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah I might be one to jump on a 6 core Phenom II if they're any good. We'll see :D

Wow I gotta say these Crossfired HD4870s are the best investment I've made yet. They're still wicked fast and will probably be that way for a while. They pound any single GeForce and simply scale better than a lot of them in dual card. Wish I would have waited on the 4890 1GB though they are choice.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Let's see what happens at the end of next month. :p

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I assume you are thinking about Intel's i5! What I would like to know is last February, Intel announced that their 32nm program was going so well that they would be going straight to 32nm with i5! Now I see that they will be 45nm! What's up with that? Intro is supposed to be September 8, 2009!

Russ

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nope, I was talking about the DirectX11 graphics generation. i5 is interesting, but it is largely (and sadly) irrelevant to me. A northbridge-less system would be amazing, but I do not want to surrender PCI express bandwidth for the privilege. i7 it is.

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Seeing as i7 has little real benefit for anything outside of Sam's quad Crossfire setup, I personally see no need to upgrade. I'd like to see you do it Sam but for my own setup the CPU is overpowered without much games improvement. Sure it could be faster in a lot of other stuff but games are pretty much bound to be GPU dependent outside of the extreme.

My Phenom II clips along quite well really. It is noticeably snappier in EVERY OS than my Q6600 at the same speed and it also maintains better minimum framerates in most games I've tried.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Here we go! Here's a review of the new Athlon IIx4 620 and 630. Pretty darn good for the price. Currently $99 and $122.99 respectively at Newegg!

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_propus_athlon_2_x4_630_620_performance/

The results look pretty impressive for the price, despite having no L3 cache, and they do very well when overclocked! No Black Edition, but they had no problems overclocking without having to overvolt the CPU!

Enjoy,
    Russ

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Pretty decent basic chips, I wonder if they had anything to do with the price slash on the Q8200. In general as far as I can see the 630 is like the Q8200, and the 620 is about 10% behind roughly, maybe a bit less.
    The X4 620 is £76, the cheapest 'not crap' quad core out there, and the 630 is £93, £5 cheaper than the Q8200, in typical AMD marginal-undercutting style. The X4 965BE has had a big price cut recently, but in my mind it's still not enough to make anybody care.
    Fortunately, as relatively low clock speed chips these AMDs pretty much rival the Q8200 for overclocking due to the low multiplier they're competing with.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

19. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well something like an X3 720BE or X2 550BE is going to have more raw speed and better clock for clock performance, not to mention better OCing. Looks like they do perform and OC decently though. I especially like that they were designed from the ground up as a budget quad. No disabled features on that chip. If you want number crunching and multithreaded performance on the cheap you can't do much better than the Athlon II X4 630. A real Phenom II chip, no matter the cores, will still give better raw performance in the end though.

It does pain me to see that they're only concentrating on filling out their lower end though. Where are the new high end chips? Anything on the horizon? Will there be more revisions to Phenom II or a new chip? At least they have solid architecture to work with now. AMD makes budget gamers happy :p

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Oh, im sure they've got something up their sleeves LOL! Perhaps the 6 and 12 core "Magny Cours". I can't wait to see what happens over the next year. 6 cores on a single die! :O