1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Gotcha!

Thanks,
    Russ

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No worries, I had actually forgotten it was this way round for AM2 chips, hence the earlier confusion.

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's a vast amount of money to pay, probably the most expensive I've seen. Just build your own, buy the HDD and the enclosure - cheaper in this case, and much more reliable.

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

sammorris : Thats Dollars not # sterling, U know that..I've never seen an External HDD Housing with added USB Hubs. If U know of one give me the link

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rick,
    I think you would be better off with one of these for the same price!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136176

I've never had a lot of luck with iomega drives myself. Newegg doesn't even sell the Mini-Max. That tells me something right there!

Russ

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Again I mention no Xtra USB Hubs built into the Western Digital
    I've got an Iomega 1 terabyte that I got at CompUSA 4 79.00 It runs cool & Quiet . Longgivity! Well as with any HDD only time will tell

Still nothing on an MKV Thread , Guessin their ain't one

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rick,
    I sent you an email, but what it said was that the Ports on the Hub are not USB 2.0 ports, so they are virtually worthless! It's also not a powered hub, so that even makes it even more worthless! I can't even get USB 2.0 with my Wireless extension cord, and it was designed for it! It won't work at all unless it's a powered hub! Forget the other USB Ports, they're worthless! Even with my 4GB Memorex TravelDrive, there wouldn't be enough power to run it!

Russ

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Tech Specs

System Requirements

* Three-port USB hub
    * Preformatted in HFS+
    * Interactive cooling system with thermal probe automatically regulates fan speed
    * Compatible with PC and Mac®
    * Transfer rates of 480 Mbits/s when connected to a USB 2.0 controller; 400 Mbits when connected to a FireWire 400 controller
    * Rotational speed of 7200 RPM
    * Memory cache of 8MB
    * Includes EMC® Retrospect® backup software
    * One-year limited warranty
    At-A-Glance:
    * Expandable: More connection capabilities with three FireWire ports and a three-port USB integrated hub
    * Compact: Just 8.75 inches square and 1.375 inches tall, takes up minimal space
    * Stackable: Easily stacks with the Apple® Mac® mini or additional MiniMax hard drives
    * Fast: Up to 480 MB/s transfer rate (USB 2.0)
    * Up to 400 MB/s transfer rate (FireWire 400)
    * Secure: Comes complete with software for hassle-free backup and disaster recovery
    * Perfect Match for Mac® mini. This hard drive has the same footprint and matches the industrial design of the Mac® mini.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2009
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Rick: I'm well aware of that, but I thought 640GB HDDs were cheaper (85-90% cost of 1TB) in the US than that, they're cheaper here.
    Russ: I wouldn't take not being on newegg as a bad thing. Newegg refuse to sell Thermalright stuff, but that's high quality for cert.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    iomega has 32 related products, all external drives, yet not a single MiniMax. It's a current model, so you would think that they would at least have the $79 750GB one! I've never given iomega high marks for quality. You want quality, buy Plextor! I've found iomega drives to be reasonable performers, but not in the class of WD or Seagate. Not near as durable either!

Russ

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'll stick with my internal WD solution :p I love multi drives. If I need to transfer something, a flash drive is wonderful. The 160Gb mybook seems reliable, but it really bogs a system down as far as spinup, and overall windows experience. Any query that needs to access system devices, requires that the drive spinup. Quite irritating. I can see its advantages though. A 2Tb external could maintain everything in a rig quite nicely. Unless of course they've got an unnatural amount of data :p Needless to say, I gave the drive to my brother, and explained how the drive works. I suggested that he only run it when backing things up...Which is really what they're designed for.

Simply put, I think they overcharge for an external solution.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

sammorris : Believe it or not they're about the same, 500 to 1Tere R from 1 xtreme to the next any where from 69 bucks to 105bucks . I've got 500s & 1Tere. I paid 110bucks 4 and thought it was a good deal, turned around and paid 69bucks 4 the same

Russ: my opinion on Plextor is they R just over priced, my 1st Plextor I thought I'll buy the best of the best. Well I paid 160bucks 4 a DVD RW, it went out in 3 mons. At the same purchase I bought an off brand 79bucks [ it turned out 2B an NEC with a different label]it lasted 5yrs..That was the last time I ever bought by name brand. I've learned over the yrs NAME BRAND DON'T MEAN BETTER . Everything goes from good to bad & bad to good

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2009
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I have to agree with Rick here, I've seen pretty poor reviews of Plextor stuff over the last couple of years.

15. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Try looking in here

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Russ
    i got a friend here at work that next month he is going to build him a AMD system. he is wanting the AM3 cpu. the Phenom IIx4 955. what is the best gigabyte AM3 mobo. i know this is an opinon call. but you all seem to keep up on the amd stuff way more than i do. he said he would like to go SLI with it to and im sure that would be DDR3 mem as well??

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Try and force him not to get a 955. There are plenty of good AMD chips out there, but frankly, the 955 isn't one of them. Go for a 945 (the 95W version) for a powerful, energy efficient AMD quad core build.
    SLI with an AMD system really isn't doable (yes, there are nforce chipsets, but they're ghastly) - if he must have dual graphics, make it crossfire. If it must be nvidia, a GTX275 will surely suffice (or heck, maybe even a GTX295). The fact that AMD is the backbone of the system suggests it's not a top-end gaming rig anyway.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    I'm very partial to the MA790X-UD4P. So far it's been a great MB! No On Board Graphics either! CrossFire, too!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd agree with Russ here. The 790X boards are excellent, and Gigabyte's high-end offerings are as good as they get.

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

That's subjective. I would believe my gaming rig to be quite top end :)