1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

It's merits are that it's in an entirely different segment of computing, where AMD does not compete and most of us don't have the money to afford at the moment, which makes all the testimonials about affordability pretty worthless to those that can't! Once more I have to correct your quote, because you again left a few words out of my statement, so you copied and Pasted wrong! I said that Most people in the US can't afford i5. I stand by that statement!

Just last night a Doctor friend of mine (my Dentist for the last 9 years) called me to ask me some questions about the Athlon II x4 620. I asked him why he just didn't buy a Core i5, instead? He said that he didn't want to spend any more than he had too. His Receivables are sky high, because no one is paying, and he has no idea when all of this will end, so he's keeping money very tight. He in turn is paying his bills and salaries from the little he collects and his own personal Bank account. He needs the computer to replace an old one that expired, and the 630 will do the job he needs it to do for a minimal amount of cost, and be much faster than it's predecessor. I'm going to put it together for him by the end of the week! And yes, I convinced him to go with the 630! This will be a completely new build as everything in the old computer is old tech, even the case! Here's a man that makes over a million dollars a year, that's being frugal with his money! He put his household on a budget and his kids on an allowance for the first time in their lives. He's told them all that they better get used to it for a good while to come! To me, that's food for thought!

Russ

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

In much the same way that there are millionaires who don't even own PCs since they have no use for them. For the individual, choosing the X4 makes absolute sence, but as a case study it means very little...

3. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Not to offend anyone or dredge up already buried stuff, but sometimes the question "Does it really matter?" begs asking. To be clear I am not speaking about anything (or anyone) in particular, it's just something I do nearly every time before I post and think it may be a good idea for others to do the same more often. It seems that an increasing number of arguments are cropping up on the forums and some, if not a lot, of them could have been avoided if some one just ignored the harmless irrelevant/opinion/etc. post.

A few months ago an [ex-]AD member was suspended because they posted a mostly irrelevant (and negative if I remember correctly) comment to a news item and another member just had to go out of their way and post another equally useless and irrelevant comment degrading the aforementioned ex-AD member. Obviously things ended up getting out of hand and several posts later a mod suspended the poster of the comment that elicited the first "member attacking" response and locked the thread. All of which could have been avoided had that one person ignored the useless comment just every one else (most likely) would have.

Things can go a lot smoother if one takes the time to consider whether a response is really needed and that will ignoring something you disagree with really hurt/affect anything. I realize there is an extremely fine line that needs to be walked (which I might have just crossed with this post lol) but it's something to keep in mind.

---------

IMO that's a good thing lol.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I went back and dug out where all this discussion came from? It started October 25 at 16:51, with my post!
    This wasn't even directed at anyone in particular, but just a cometary on all the ballyhoo about i5 on the net over the last few months. I think I also made it perfectly clear that I would like an i5, but can't justify the cost at the moment. If I was a big time gamer, I would probably just wait until I could afford it!

It should have ended the same day with this post at 22:44
    I don't believe anything else needed to be asked or answered, after this post! I wasn't talking about anybody but myself, and the fact that I couldn't afford it. Speaking for myself, I think I was very clear as to how I would do things for my own build, and why. Nothing more was required! Oh, and it isn't dozens of pages, it's perhaps 4 depending on your resolution!

Russ

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Maw: I agree, but I won't stand being lied about. I would like nothing more than to move on from this particular discussion, but I'm not just conceding with it ending with me looking like the cause of it all, as some douche that pops up in threads to cause trouble.
    Russ: I'm glad you'll admit that much. You started a discussion about the i5, in the AMD building thread. I'm not going to pick up on that, but it's probably something I'd get picked on for if I did it.

Now that's a damn impressive PC deal if ever I saw one. Granted, the PC isn't worth $500 by itself, but with the monitor and printer included it's certainly worth a substantial amount more. Just a shame the monitor's 1600x900, what a ghastly resolution... :S Meh, for a $500 PC, I doubt the owner would care very much :p

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I LOL'd. Thanks for that :)

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Why, is that the resolution you use? I don't mean any offense, I just think that it would be more sensible for monitor manufacturers to stick with 1440x900 or 1680x1050 at that size. 1600x900 is an iffy resolution to work with.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I LOL'd because I agree with you ;)

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's a relief :)

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I tell you what, this is interesting to see, AMD finally getting off their backs for some aggressive marketing. Been waiting a long time to see them go at it like this. Should hopefully work for them like it has for intel and nvidia in the past:

[​IMG]

Refreshing the page brought me two copies of the 'Become her friend' advert and one for eyefinity... Refreshed again and all four ads including the titlebar were 'Become her friend'....

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  12. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Her? I'd hit that, of course I'd need a pint or 2 of liquid courage...

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Ahh Ruby has been a staple of Ati fans for years :D

I actually have about 4 different posters of her. One with my X1800XT, one with my trusty old X850XT, and one each with my 4870s. Suffice to say she's not only my friend, she's my mistress XD

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You got posters? I've been missing out! How did you get them? I've never had a Ruby poster with one of my cards, X800, X1900, HD3870 (x3), X1600, HD4830 or HD4870X2!

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

They actually came outside the box in the packing materials from Newegg so it could be a deal with them???

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

id love a hot ruby poster

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Must be, never had anything like that with my cards... :(

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

It doesn't hurt to mention I also have a preferred customer account with Newegg...

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

How'd you manage that? That's not fair! LOL!

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Opps! Sorry, I have one too! LOL!! I better have, for all the money I spend there every year!:)