1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ahhh. So it's similar to afterdawn addict status. Spend enough at newegg, and become a VIP! Although I wouldn't consider myself an Afterdawn VIP LOL!

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah. Basically I've bought all of my PC hardware exclusively from Newegg for the last 4 years. This counts 4 or 5 cases, at least 8 or 9 different CPUs, 4 or 5 memory kits and countless other things for myself. This doesn't even count the endless slew of stuff I buy to build and work on other PCs. I've made easily over 100 orders from them.

Right from Newegg:

More can be found here if you're interested:

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEPA/index.html

and here:

https://newegg.mypreferredaccount.com/wss/help/faqs.do
    (dunno why the link won't work but you can copy/paste it into the URL bar and it works.)

I do have a credit line with them but I've never used it. I pay for everything up front through a debit card. I do get an occasional discount if I make a big purchase though.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, you can get a Play.com credit card that gives you discounts, I suppose that's kind of similar, but in the US things are a little different, there is no one site in the UK that is so good that everybody uses it, i.e. a UK version of Newegg. A Newegg UK would be very welcome, except for the fact that Newegg refuse to sell anything Thermalright. I've never understood why.

4. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I've always disregarded the newegg preferred account as another credit line I didn't need; if there's actual discounts involved I need to rethink this lol.

5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yep you get access to special discounts whether or not you get a credit line. Not great but like maybe $10 off on certain items. I got it for both my 940 BE and for my motherboard. And since I got them in a combo I ended ended up getting like 25-30% off the original price all said and done. Newegg is better than people might realize even given their already spotless reputation. Their customer service is top notch and any changes to orders or the such are near instant. They've even dropped the price on an order because an item went on sale a few hours after I ordered it. All I had to do was contact their live chat and a few minutes later I had a new invoice in my email. Now THAT'S customer service.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  6. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I Spent 16k last year at Newegg alone

7. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Wow, not sure I could spend 16k in one year at newegg if I tried lol.

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

i've spent 2,468.05 thus far ;) probably spend another 500 here shortly.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Just under 27k! LOL!! I buy a lot of parts, do a lot of repairs, all for little money, which is better than no money at all! I was doing real good on the new builds until about 6 or 7 weeks ago and interest just stopped! I've had a few Doctors I was putting a deal together for, that canceled! Newegg has even e-mailed me a couple of times asking about their service, but I assured them, there was no problem, and that I hadn't found another supplier. That things are just slow at the moment!

Russ

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

If you count stuff for customers... eh maybe $25,000 over the course of 4 years. ~$8000 of it being my own money. I don't get scads of customers maybe 2 or 3 a month. Mostly repairs and the occasional full build. Not to mention a few budget charity builds I've done for my less fortunate friends which does count as my own money :p

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    I know exactly what you mean. I just fixed up that P-III I put together a while back so it would play DVDs. It's maxed out on memory at 512MB, but I put a 4x AGP card in it with 128MB of memory, and it runs fine. Good enough to do what Russell's Brother in Law wants it for. I gave him a 17" Viewsonic, keyboard, Mouse and speakers and a DVD Combo drive for playing DVDs and burning CDs. Russell took it over there and said "Merry Christmas". He had an old computer, but it had died, and he was connecting up to the internet with an old xbox or something like that, through a TV. I've given about 15 neighborhood kids computers, mostly girls because they have something more in their heads than the stupid ideas on how to make the computer faster that boys seem to always have! They have brains! Boys always screw them up because they are too smart for their own good, but don't know anything yet! Girls also rarely throw things. I have seen a 21" HP CRT with a Skateboard sticking out of it! His 11 year old Son did it! Very strange! Brought it to me to see if I could fix it! ROFL!! But give an 8-9 year old girl a computer and chances are she will be on line within a couple of hours, opening user accounts for everything from Barbie to Snow White and Disney, and chatting with her girlfriends! LOL!!

My reward? It makes me feel useful, and I love the smiles! Hey it makes me happy to see those smiles! Don't need more than that!

Russ

12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Very admirable Russ, good on you :)

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sadly, no one retailer is good enough for either stock or service to get all of my business. Ebuyer and Scan take the lions share of business at the moment, I've racked up £2508 at ebuyer, £1078 at Scan, £2373 at Aria. The latter has a fair few parts for other people in it. Other shops such as Dabs, OcUK and Specialtech have had a fair amount spent at too.
    I have sorted out a few PC repairs and upgrades at my own expense, though usually when involving some of my old stuff I don't keep around any more.

14. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Your a good man Russ, I agree about seeing somebody happy, sometimes better than money, except I would like to give the kid a slap upside the head first that wrecked his monitor, listen to the yikes first, than give him the gift, LOL

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Like the guy I lent my 20" monitor to and put a scratch in it. Not impressed with that. :(

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Lol most of my friends are misinformed about computers. So they worship me when they need computer help. Hell I've only been seriously into PC building 4 or 5 years so I figure it's something I'm good at :p

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's like looking in a mirror... :p

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

LOL I love building PCs. I can't help but be good at it. I'd like to think I'm fairly experienced with PC hardware, old and new. Not arrogant of course but I like helping people and being informative :p

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha, showoff :p
    The way I see it, one of the most common pieces of equipment in anyone's life to encounter problems and be a pain in the backside is the PC. Understanding how they work and how to repair them is an incredibly valuable asset.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Amen to that!