1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

theonejrs: Well it so happens I need 2, 1 for Video and one to run my VCR & DVD Player. Some Movies are still unavailable on DVD, therefor I need to get my VCR Movie on my Computer, also some DVDs , believe it or not have 5 or 6 main Movie titles of 5 & 6 gigs each and can't be backed up. But if U have a way of hooking up a DVD Player to your Computer, you can at least make a backup in real time. then use DVD Rebuilder to accommodate Your backup IN PROPER SIZE
    Now not all tv cards are alike when it comes resolution, but if U purchase a good one U can get very good results. The card I have was about $150.00. (near HD resolution) or as good as the original DVD

Now of course I'm a Movie FANATIC , not everybody would go to through the time , trouble or expense as I do. But as everything else their R a few who do
    I have been greatly appreciated by some of my internet friends for this. EXAMPLE: Hector an Aquantince of mine up New York State way, sent me 7 VCR Tapes that he wanted as DVD. Well I made them for him, It turned a 60 yr old man into a 40 yr old man, he was so pleased

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2010
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rick,
    16x or 8x isn't going to matter for that type of application. You wouldn't be able to tell which is which. In fact my 3DMark 03 is exactly the same score as it is in the 16x slot, with identical settings. HD Video would not be a problem for either card.

Hey, speaking of friends! Everybody wish Fred a Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday Fred, you old Goat! Not as old an old Goat as me, but Happy Birthday anyway. Oh, and thanks you sneaky old Devil! My present came today! here's a Special Poem for you, Fred!

[​IMG]

Warmest Regards and many more Birthdays,
    Russ

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Happy B'day Fred :)

Russ, I sure wish there were a more universal way for the programs to acknowlege sensors. This is ridiculous! Now I'm not sure about anything :( This is quite frustrating to think you have things figured out, and get slapped in the face with something else LOL! You'll know what I mean by the description.

Before, I thought that temp 1 was the cpu. Apparently temp 3 is the cpu. After torture test, it SLOWLY cooled, where the core temperature dropped rapidly. I know the tuniq isn't that good LOL! And actually now, i think that everest is correct. Motherboard is system temp, where the CPU temperature is accurate. I looked closely at the Bios temperatures and looked carefully upon entering windows :)

I'm now resting at 3.8Ghz, NB/HT 2200Mhz. CPU Vcore is 1.35V. During torture test 5+ minutes, it never exceeded 48C. NOW I really love that tuniq 120 tower :D Now I'm comfortable pushing a few more megahertz.
    [​IMG]

5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Oh yeah that baby is magical. If you're trying to get every degree celcius drop you can get, maybe you could try lapping. It dropped me ~3*C and I noticed the base block sits flatter on the CPU. Both of my Tuniqs are lapped and polished to a high mirror shine.

I might be interested in some of the diamond TIM as well, but I have a hard time dropping my AS Ceramique. Never used anything but :)

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I bought the diamond cooling compound :) We'll see how well it does thursday.

You know what I just realized. My CPU idles at a temperature that humans kill brain cells. WICKED! LOL! Also, I remember in high school being told that the average birds temperature is 105F. Also friggin WICKED LOL!

Little bit of useless knowledge for ya :p

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    The big problem with using Ceramique for CPU coolers is that on sockets with pins, it can and does pull the CPU out of the socket with the arm locked down. I usually reach in there with a small screwdriver and click the lock off, then as it pulls it out the socket the resistance get's less and less! It was actually designed for chipsets. Every bit as good as AS5 used on for a CPU, even though it's thermal transfer rate isn't as high as AS5. That's because it's particles are smaller so there are more particles making the contact layer denser between the CPU and the cooler. I usually release the cooler and gently twist it back and forth so it comes off easier.

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Jeff: Oh wow, fabulous. I've been waiting for an article like this for ages. I'll be giving this a good hard read!
    Rick: As said, PCIe 1x is all you need for a card like that.

9. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Why Thank You Russ & Omeg, 61, wow, never thought I would pass 50, Russ, don't know what your talking about lol.

I was hoping to get the misses approval for a new build maybe, not a chance not yet anyway, but I did squezze a webcam out of her, been wanting one for a while so it beats a blank.

10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

happy bday fred. have a good one :)

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, many happy returns Fred. Here's to a long and healthy life :)

12. redice

redice Regular member

Happy Bday Fred

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well, I'm not sure what to think. Now that I'm 99.9% sure, that Temp 3 is in fact the CPU temp, I'm not sure HOW it wants to hold a 40-41C temperature. I saw nothing in the bios about temperature control, and I'm not running easytune. I wonder if easytune inserted something in the registry which causes that setting? 40C does not concern me, but if I can get it to hold a lower temperature and a constant fan rpm, it will stop irritating me when it jumps to high speed to cool from 41C LOL!

14. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Thanks much for the tip Russ. I've just been really careful after I pulled my 5000+ BE right out of the socket ;P

I was shocked by how little 4x really affects performance. I think I did right by going for full 16x, every bit counts you know? But this has helped my theory that PCI-e hasn't been fully tapped yet. According to that article, even with a 4x slot, you really aren't limiting a high end card too much. I'd go so far as to say Crossfire would work great with a 16x/4x board, even with 5970s. I don't think there's a wall where it limits you. More like it limits you by a scaling percentage

Ahh pish, you're not that old. My mom is 55 :p Happy bday and many more :D

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

This just isn't my week. I had a blue screen, associated with the damn Velociraptor again. Was working in Adobe photoshop, and it hung up again. Heard the HDD trying to spinup. I'm like, "not again...". I shut it down, came back 20 minutes later, went into bios, and once again, the drive was not acknowledged. So once again, I played with the connections. Now its fine once again. So either its coincidence, and I have yet another Velociraptor lemon, or the HAF 932 case has a flaw in which the HDD rack, should have left more room for the HDD connections. Because it's come to my attention, that the Sata power cable MIGHT be the issue. Its also on a molex to sata connection. Could just be my issue. Wonderful...
    I wonder if they make a 90° power connection for sata devices. That would likely cure my issue.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Most decent power supplies use 90º S-ATA power connectors.
    I strongly recommend against using Molex to S-ATA adapters with 10k drives. Weak wiring should not be used in high current environments.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thank you sam. I was really leaning at that molex connection. Plus the connection itself is pretty taught! And then the HAF 932 case door, bumps right up to it.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That is my main concern. You know as well as I do how tight it gets in there with the side panel. Give the proper connector a try.
    However, whenever I encounter a suspected faulty drive, it always gets the USB enclosure treatment before I write it off. Often you'll find drives work fine there, in which case, cable/power issue.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm gonna leave it for now, against my better judgment. I have to leave for work soon. But tonight, EVERYTHING is getting a serious tending to. I will not have this problem again. I don't have enough hair to keep pulling it out LOL!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member