1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not really, I rely on their use to power my fileserver. I just probably wouldn't use one with a raptor.

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah, especially being the main OS drive. Very good. Thanks ;)

3. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Thank You all, damn, I almost feel important.

4. oluvinu

oluvinu Regular member

Hi I bought a 955 be amd phenom II. I also have 4gb corsair 1600 ram. I bought a antec ea650w. And a msi 950 gx motherboard processor.

Question

1- how far can I overclock a 3.2 ghz processor? How much wattage do I need is a 650w power supply good enough. what kind of cpu cooler do I need and how do I rate them and see which coolr is best for me to use on the cpu ??

2- what type of ram cooler do I need ?

3- do I need a video card cooler ? I am looking at a ati 4870 card .

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Need to know a bit more about the motherboard firstly, what exact model is it? (No such thing as a 950GX)
    Typically the 955BE CPUs overclock to somewhere between 3.5 and 3.8Ghz. For a newcomer to overclocking, I wouldn't expect any more than about 3.7 initially.
    It's recommended when overclocking a high-TDP chip like the 955 to get yourself a large tower cooler such as a Noctua NH-U12P, Tuniq Tower or Thermalright Ultra-120. It may be worth doing some checks to make sure such a large cooler will fit in your case. Such coolers aren't exceptionaly difficult to install (Thermalrights in particular are easy), but when cramped for space they can become fiddly.
    RAM doesn't really need cooling, even in an overclocked system, assuming you have a case with at least some airflow nearby (such as a reasonably powerful rear fan, or ideally a top fan). If you were to use 4 sticks adjacent to each other (for 8GB), you might consider RAM cooling, but assuming you're using 2x2GB, you'll be fine without.
    Video cards don't need aftermarket coolers. People often replace them with aftermarket ones to get lower noise, or lower temperatures for overclocking purposes, but in general, the cooler that comes with the card will be sufficient.
    What are you looking at paying for the HD4870? It is a nice card, but it is now out of production, as it has been replaced by the HD5770, a much smaller, cooler, DirectX11 and Eyefinity enabled card. The HD5770 will be more expensive as it's a new model, and it isn't any faster, but it may be worth a purchase in the long run if there's not much of a difference (It will save you a fair chunk on your electricity bill for a start)

6. oluvinu

oluvinu Regular member

hello the mother board is a MSI 790gx-g65 and i have a AMD PhenomII 955BE. i wil lok into the HD5770. what is the power consumption difference between the two if the run at the same level?
    thank you and i will look into the cpu coolers. i have a atx form factor tower .

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

8. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

[​IMG]

Just doin some test right now tryiing to get the feel of this AMD Rig:)

[​IMG]

Using spare parts on my Video until, I order the new 1 and some more fans, I tell you 1 thing these AMD chips take alot of Volts to Oc them my change Cooler also Don't really like how it sits on the Cpu:(

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2010
  9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Actually, volts aren't always whats needed. I read a review by someone once, that stated they would actually prefer to be cooled, as opposed to volted. I know that sounds wild, but a guy had over 4Ghz, and only 1.35 volts I believe. This was a phenom 955 I think. Not certain...

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    What I don't understand is why you lowered the CPU multiplier and upped the FSB. at 200MHz all the memory speeds can be set with the proper memory multiplier, so a CPU multiplier of 19 will give you 3.8GHz Raise the FSB to 205-206MHz and the memory should be able to handle that small amount of change! You should be able to set the Northbridge frequency to the 11x multiplier, as well as setting the HT Link to 11x as well. In fact, it should run at the 12x multiplier for both. That would be 2472MHz for a Hyper Transport speed of 4944MHz. You will need to raise the NB voltage to 1.300v and the CPU VID voltage to about 1.375 or so. 1.400v is considered the maximum you should set it to!

Russ

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    It depends on the circumstances. Generally you have to work within limits of heat! Everything else is flexible. You can see that in that link I posted on overclocking the Phenom II! When Intel replaced my e6750, the new one had no problems running at 3.7gHz at only 1.25v. With the old one you needed to be over 1.40v to run at 3.55GHz. You never know what it will take!

Russ

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! I suppose that's true. Sorta like buying marble tile. You'll never get an exact match, not in a hundred years LOL!

13. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

now russ you know,I'm new to this AMD system, I don't understand the settings as well as intel voltage that's why, i need you'll help in things, I took that asus board and got a gigabyte board 790xta-ud4p rev 1.0. I like this board much better even in the MIT bio screen, I'll get with you when get home at work right now thanks for your help.

14. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

aight made some changes Russ the multiplier is at x19.0 now instead 14 like it was Raised the FSB to 207 memory holding at 690mhz changed the Northbridge frequency to 12x as well as the HT Link to 12x bumped the NB Volts up to 1.300v cpu at 1.425v to hold 3933mhz with a 10pass of LinX

[​IMG]

You gotta see the speed of the stock cooler look at this joker Flying the case almost tiped over...LOL

[​IMG]

I know, I gotta get me another after maket cooler AC 64 instead the the Pro 7 Rev 2 just did'nt fit right, I'll save it for a intel build...

I like this Oc instead
    [​IMG]

My First Amd build trying to learn the Bio setting this is all new to me sense bein over on intel so long!!!

aight here's the brother's side by side

[​IMG]

Happy Building
    Ya'll

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    Looks pretty good. I'm assuming that those temps are stressed, and not idle temps. I never saw my AMD Heatpipe cooler ever turn that fast. 3200-3400 rpm or so is about it!

Russ

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

And people wonder why AMD CPUs run cooler at stock than Intels :p - Most of the Intel stock coolers are rated for a maximum of 2000rpm! It's only the Extreme edition 130W version I ended up with that can do 4500, and that's flat out, it doesn't go above 5000, thankfully!

17. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Sure thing Russ That rpm is at Stress level temps no higher than 61c but that joker cranks out some speed to be a 92mm fan and it's loud also gonna order a cooler like yours and Put that AC Pro Rev 2 on the Biostar I45 Board with the E8600 or the E8700 either or:)

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm sure the AMD stock coolers are only 80mm fans if that, the noise levels otherwise would be ridiculous.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    The fan in question is 70mm. I just measured mine. This is the cooler from a P II 940BE, just like the one Oman7 gave me. I'm pretty sure all the heatpipe coolers from AMD are the same!

Russ

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, that sounds more like it.