1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

may bad my mind was on a artic Cooler fan instead it's a 80mm but a fast 80 at 5500rpms max speed just reorder Russ's cooler the freezer 64 and my NZXT FN-140RB 140mm case fans and the Zalman MFC1 Plus-B Black 6 Channel Multi Fan Controller just gonna few more parts to go and.I'll be done with this Rig:)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2010
  2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

wish intel gave heatpipes.

3. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

there's your Mips Test Russ at 3.9ghz

[​IMG]

now I'm gonna have to change my sig to AMD/Intel Rigs 3.9ghz Boys...lol

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2010
  4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    Most of those tests are pretty meaningless on an AMD. I bought mine mainly for encoding video, which it excels at! The only really relevant test is Memory bandwidth and some hardware tests. For me the upgrade to a lower priced Quad like the 630, was a good move. It works extremely well with AutoCad 2004 and my Air turbine programs, as it so much faster because it uses all 4 cores. I like it, it's exceeded my expectations and I'm happy with my choice!

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, the Dhrystone doesn't say much, because that score rates the 3.9Ghz Quad on a par with a stock Q9650, which is perhaps a little harsh. The Whetstone is about right though, 3.9Ghz for the Athlon II vs a 3.5Ghz Yorkfield is fine. If anything, that test is in AMD's favour, the Athlon IIs aren't quite that fast, on average.

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

HAHA very harsh I think. I know the Yorkfields are fast but "lol".

True that's more along the lines of a Phenom II around the same same speed. I wonder even at that.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  7. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Well Russ here's my Memory bandwidth test

[​IMG]

still some tuning to do, I believe but she's stable at this clock speed just waiting on other parts to arrival and workng on getting the temps down in the mid 30's spring is here windows are open but, I don't turn my central air on until summer that's when my temps really drop...

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! Indeed. I'm seeing better temps, now that we're running the Air Conditioner ;) 37C Idle, and 0Rpms!

Velociraptor is holding 24C!!!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  9. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

turned the clock down alittle along with a voltage drop also with 5 pass of LinX no errors, I guess AMD Gigabyte boards don't give that much in VDroops in volts like Intel Gigabyte boards do huh?

[​IMG]

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    That's quite true according to my findings. Voltage regulation and correction is top notch on my 790X-UD4H. I suspect it's the same way with your motherboard. Check your email!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Here's my latest results on my overclocking progress.

GigaByte GA490X-UD4P
    Athlon IIx4 630 @3.5GHz

I've upped the CPU host Frequency to 250MHz, Set the CPU Voltage up to 1.472v, upped the CPI Northbridge VID to 1.3750v and raised the SouthBridge voltage 0.1v. The Hyper Transport frequency is running at 5000MHz. It still hasn't raised the CPU temp to 50C, although I'm sure it will with DVD re-builder/CCE, or stress testing. So far it's survived an 8GB movie processed with ConvertX and 20 minutes of Orthos. DVDRB/CCE will be the real test!

Processor Math 3.5GHz

[​IMG]

Memory Bandwidth

[​IMG]

CPUZ Main

[​IMG]

CPUZ MB

[​IMG]

From the look of things, it's running pretty good right now. No temperature issues either! It's still pretty impressive for a $99 CPU!

Russ

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lower Vdroop on the AMD boards will be, apart from because they're newer boards, because AMD CPUs pull more power, so similar model boards will be equipped with better power regulators. Lastly add that you were all using midrange boards for the Intel CPUs and now, top-end boards for the AMDs, it only makes sense. I get a vdroop of 0.01-0.015V for my i5 CPU, not sure how that stacks up with the AMDs.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    I found a huge mistake in the instructions in the setup for the NB frequency, and the HT link Frequency. It tells you to set the HT link frequency in between the CPU and NB speeds. That is incorrect! The HT link frequency has to be lower than the NB frequency, otherwise it will cause a bottleneck in the data flow, and perhaps even crash the computer. Here's what to do!

Set the NB Frequency multiplier to 12, but set the HT link frequency multiplier to 11. Raise the NB voltage to 1.40v. Raise the CPU NB VID voltage to about 1.350v. Given your overclock, I would probably just set it to the max, 1.40v. Should work like a charm. Your benchmarks won't change at all! Thru-put might be slowed a tiny bit, but Data still flows between the CPU and the NB at the same speed as before. After all you are only losing 207MHz off the HT link speed. Doesn't affect the temps either!

The NB frequency will be 2484MHz, and the HT link frequency will be 2277MHz and the Hyper Transport speed will be 4761MHz, more than fast enough.

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Aight Russ made the change everything is running smooth as pie take in account temps kinda high reason cause, I don't have the artic 64 pro yet, I have the factory cooler on the board for now. I dropped the HT link frequency multiplier to 11x and left the NB Frequency multiplier on 12x. I Raised the CPU NB VID voltage to 1.400v cause,I'm running at 3933ghz and that's not My maxs on this board 1.400v is'nt and.I also Raised the NB voltage to 1.40v it was at 1.35v...Thanks

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2010
  15. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Afternoon all, sorry to jump in.

To be honest I'm not much in to overclocking as I don't generally have the time to self-build, but I am buying a new PC and due to aforementioned reasons buying it pre-built.

Just wondering if anyone has an comments/experience with the following hardware/general build:

AMD Phenom II X4 820 - 2.8GHz/2MB L2 Cache/4MB L3 Cache

6GB DDR3 1066 MHz RAM

1GB ATI HD5450

Cheers,

J

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well you won't be able to play any recent games on that system as the graphics card is too weak, the CPU is not an X4, but an X3, a Tri-core CPU, so not that powerful, and the memory is quite slow, which may not affect performance that much but if the latency is also high, then it will be a performance reduction. I hope you're not paying much for that system.

17. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Hehe, yeah between posting I did some digging around. I wasn't too pleased about the ram speed either, and had someone else tell me the gfx was mediocre at best.

I'm in the UK, so not on dollars, but current exchange rate I guess the budget is about $700 - suggestions?

Sorry, slightly off-topic I presume, can take this conversation to the PC building thread if needs be.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm in the UK too, what's your actual budget in pounds?

19. Ripper

Ripper Active member

£500 ish. The price of said build ^ is actually a Dell something @ £529. Not wanting/needing something really high spec but obviously reasonable - a self build is looking more likely!

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

For that budget, I would probably recommend a self build. Unless there are any cheap XPS systems going around like there were in 2008, for £530 you can build your own PC, and a hell of a lot better than that system there.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/AMD-...e-S-AM3-28GHz-2MB-Cache-HT-4000MHz-95W-Retail
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Giga...3-DDR3-1066-1333-1800-SATA-3Gb-s-RAID-ATX-VGA
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/4GB-...600)-Non-ECC-Unbuffered-CAS-9-9-9-24-XMP-165V
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/512M...z-GDDR5-GPU-775MHz-400-Cores-DP-DL-DVI-I-HDMI
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/400W...eries-PSU-ATX-PS-2-UK-Version-3-year-warranty
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Cool...k-Midi-Tower-Case-with-Mesh-Top-Panel-w-o-PSU
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/500-...aviar-Blue-SATA-300-7200-rpm-16MB-Cache-89-ms
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/LG-GH22NS50-22x-DVDR-16xDVDDL-DVDplusRW-x8-RWx6-12xRAM-SATA-Black-OEM

This lot should come out to about £500 exactly including delivery. You get an actual quad core CPU, 4GB of decent spec RAM, a reasonably well featured board, a much more potent graphics card, still relatively basic, but in a £500 build you can't do much better, a nicer case, and a more beefy PSU for future upgrade potential.