1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Yeah! Kick the companies like Everest and SpeedFan in the A$$! Since AMD has lost some popularity, these companies haven't kept up with the chipsets and lack the ability to read the AM2 and AMD+ motherboards. Even the nVidia chipped AMDs mostly don't work right reading the temps and such! They rarely even bother to provide the right software to read any of the AMD motherboards, regardless of Chipset. You always get an error message "Unknown Chipset" with just about any AMD based MB these days!

Russ

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

The Sceptre's are not TN Panels, they are P-MVA, which is Probably why you noticed your wife's contrast. I have the same P-MVA type screen in my X20 Naga widescreen. The TN panels can only render less than 24 bit color so if they claim 16 million colors, they lie! That's why the colors on the cheap TN Panels are so washed out looking!

Viewsonic uses these as well. P-MVA technology is what put Sceptre on the map with the introduction of the Naga Series 4-5 years ago.

Russ

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

No they are all TN panels. Some of the older ones might have been P-MVA panels but 100% of the ones sold by newegg or TN panels.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As far as I'm aware the only panel type that has a 2ms response time is TN. M-PVA and S-PVA stuff is usually at least 5ms, and S-IPS at least 8ms.

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

That is exactly right and the other is viewing angles of 170 degrees or less. In fact most screens at 4ms are usually TN panels. To avoid getting a TN panel one should look for 6ms or more and a viewing angle of 178 degree minimum.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I know for a fact that the panel in my X20 NagaIII is P-MVA because I've had it apart. I googled the manufacturer's part number on the back of the screen and it comes up as a P-MVA screen! I called Sceptre when I first started looking at the 24" X24WG-Naga when it first came out a month or so ago to find out what screen it had, and was told by them the the screen is P-MVA and not TN!

I'll call them again on Monday and see if I can re-confirm that, and ask about the 2ms (GTG) response time! Mine X20g NagaIII is also 8ms! Maybe the guy I talked to misunderstood me, because we had been talking about the problem I was having, and getting mine repaired!

Russ

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Russ we're not talking about your panel we're talking about the ones that are available now and they are TN panels. I know as a fact that your have an M-PVA panel because if you recall I posted a list at hounds a couple of years ago that identified the panels in most available LCDs and yours was among them. The current batch of Scepters are TN Panels.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Like I said, when I called Sceptre it's entirely possible that the Tech related my question about the 24" to my monitor, since we were discussing my problem with it. He may well have misunderstood my question since the bulk of the conversation was about the X20G NagaIII and getting it repaired! If what you are saying is correct, and I have no reason to doubt you as I know you are pretty thorough in your facts. my answer from Sceptre was probably just a misunderstanding!

If the current 20', 22" and 24" are TN, then TN has made some great strides because I always bring my own media when looking for a monitor. I never trust their demos! LOL!! I found the picture quality of the 22" and 24" to be extremely good!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Russ

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

TN has made great strides, modern TNs have a good picture quality, monitors like the Samsung SM2232BW and SM216BW are good examples of that. However, look at the screen from any angle but straight on and the colours go haywire.

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

TN panels are much better than they used to be if you are looking straight into them. Like I said my wife's 24 inch looked good with a Blu-Ray movie but couldn't match my 24 inch S-SPVA. A little on the blue side of the spectrum but not unpleasing. S-PVA panels are the ones that have made the greatest strides. They now rival S-IPS in color accuracy with many individual units surpassing them, and with greater contrast as well, but nothing can top the viewing angle of an S-IPS.

TN panels are cheaper to manufacture and can only display 6 bit color where as S-PVA and S-IPS displays 8 bit color and that is something that you can see when you place them side by side. The issue is that almost everything out there is a TN panel because the other two panels cost a lot more. A 24 inch TN panel can be purchased for around $300 but a 24 inch S-PVA panel costs closer to $600. The last time that I checked there were only two S-PVA panels in the 24 inch range and no S-IPS panels.

Even Samsung who manufactures the S-PVA panel has mostly gone to 24 inch TN panels. To identify them just look at the rated viewing angle. If it's 78 degrees or higher then it is more likely to be an S-PVA panel. The problem is that the angle measures are being cooked so you also compare it to latency speeds as well, but the best bet is to search the Internet to insure that you're getting what you think you are. If nothing else won't point in the right direction then those tips above along with price is often sure sign.

This is an absolutely awesome S-PVA but it's also an open box which to me means dead pixels.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001246R

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

One thing's for sure! This conversation has helped me make up my mind whether to get mine fixed or to replace it! LOL!! $75 looks very good right now!

Russ

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I don't know what the issue is with your LCD, but the most common issues that the back lights burn out and they are user replaceable. You can surf the Internet to find a source to purchase one. LCD's by them selves produce colored pixels with very low lumens and require a back light to make them viewable. Check in the dark and see if you can detect the pixels forming an image use a flashlight if needed. If you see it them then it is probably a back light issue.

http://www.ccflsurplus.com/?gclid=CKON9Oylm5cCFQoHswodq22k_Q

Edited for typo's as usual. LOL

13. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

According to the link it says that the panel is a "a-si TFT/TN". So if it is a S-PVA, what does "a-si TFT/TN" mean?

Sorry for the dumb question, just trying to get educated here.

14. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

According to the link it says that the panel is a "a-si TFT/TN". So if it is a S-PVA, what does "a-si TFT/TN" mean?

Sorry for the dumb question, just trying to get educated here.

15. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Double post!!!

16. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Triple post, yikes!!!

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It means someone got their facts wrong or I don't know every designation for monitors, because it is an S-PVA panel.

[​IMG]

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Unfortunately, it's the driver board for the backlight. It comes on for a couple of minutes and the screen goes completely black. Play around with turning the power on and off a few times and it will come back on and stay on as long as the screen doesn't turn off. It's real weird, as if you use a flashlight you can see things on the screen. That's one of the tests Sceptre had me run. I could fix it myself, but the cost would be higher than the $75 Flat Rate, just to buy the board alone, so I guess they repair the board! I figure that $75 is a lot cheaper than buying a new Monitor, especially a good one like this, with a P-MVA screen!

Russ

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Then replace the driver board and while you're at it replace the back light too.:p

20. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Great, thanks for clearing that up.