1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

hey Russ you realize Everest shows you every DLL file on your system as well, I for got to tell you that also along with the version

[​IMG]

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey Will,
    yes I know that. It wouldn't let me delete them by Proxy, so I went to the folder in windows and it wouldn't let me delete them there either. I had to remove them with the Data Assassin in Malwarebytes. Can you say ZORCH! LOL!! There are very few files it can't remove, locked or unlocked!

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Can someone tell me what the difference is between the WD Black and the WD Blue
    I'm in need of an IDE and the blue is the only one I can find

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Caviar Black is the highest performance version with extra cache and so on. The Blue is the standard drive, slightly slower. Since IDE slows drives down, you won't find the highest performance drive on it, thus you only get Blue IDEs, not Blacks too.

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

THANKS Sam

6. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

why ide, if i may ask?

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

shaffaaf : Why would U think IDE

8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

no sata ports?

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

right as rain

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Interestingly I am in need of an extra SATA drive ATM and only have a 160GB IDE laying around. Actually not bad though. Good enough for a lightweight HTPC.

11. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Well Fellows .I maybe Goin to Water Cooling it seems to me these Amd 965BE C3 produce alot of Heat and it's hard to get a lower idle temp with the new Freezer 64 Pro, I just got from newegg it's not getting the job done as, I like it me and Omega have the same chip and he's having the same issue in hand. I've looked around and can't find anyone with lower idle temps, I'm running between 44c to 46c idle and 57c to 65c stressed and this joker is pumping out some heat, So if, I plan to keep this thing, I gotta cool it with some water if that don't work sell it board,cpu and memory,I did'nt think AMD was ment to run this high under idle temps,Intel runs way lower my Q9550 is at 3935ghz at it don't idle this high there a different for sure.

I think this has caught me eye to get and put in the 690 II case:)
    http://www.tweaktown.com/pressrelease/1497/corsair_intros_hydro_series_h50_cpu_cooler/index.html

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2010
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

don't risk watercooling, just buy a proper heatsink like a TRUE or Tuniq.

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

My 940 runs 30-33 idle at 3.7 with 1.45v. Weren't latest stepping 965s were actually supposed to fix some heat issues? With a Tuniq and lapped btw.

Try a better cooler. The Freezer 64 Pro is a very good cooler but it's nowhere near the best cooling on air. Try a Tuniq Tower 120 or Thermalright Ultra 120. Both of those coolers demolish the Freezer 64 easily.

I've run the Tuniq 120 and the Freezer 64 in the same PC and the Tuniq was always much cooler. The Freezer may be fine for 95W chips, but 125W+ really should have a 120mm Tower Cooler to OC.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed. 92mm coolers are fine for 95W chips, but 125W CPUs like Phenoms need proper tower coolers if you overclock them.

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

LOL speaking of wattage I just realized something funny. When I get the 5850s my main rig will use way less power XD

Gonna run Crossfire in both rings for a while but I think the 4870s are gonna be gone before too long. Two sets of high end cards Crossfired = lots of heat and power usage.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not really, HD5850s don't use much less power than 4870s at load. You will, however, save an astronomical amount on idle power.

17. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Exactly what I mean. My PC is idle much more often than it is gaming. Also because of the slightly lower load wattage and way lower idle wattage, I'm hoping the cards run cooler as well XD

18. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

You Guys if you did'nt realize, I have the Freezer 64 and the Artic Pro 7 Rev.2 tryed both matter a fact Russ Recommend the Freezer 64 pro and it isn't getting the Job Done so . I decided to buy a Corsair Hydro Series H50 instead later in the week No more Air Coolers for the Amd Rig by next friday and there issues with the 965be C3 chips that need to be addressed badly:(

This video for you Sam wait until the last of it.lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQxw9Sx1-Uk&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2010
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, but we said buy a tower cooler instead of watercooling, apart from being better value because it's also less risky :p

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I'm sorry, but I somewhat disagree, I ran a 130w D-940, 27% overclocked for a good while using a Freezer 7 Pro, and once I got the case airflow straightened out, heat was not an issue. If you remember I was idling in the high 20s, and seeing mid 50s under load with that computer. In fact someone at DVD hounds questioned my temps, and I ran a series of tests they asked for, and posted the results to prove them. In fact I ran the tests twice, back to back because I forgot to include one of the temperature programs they requested.

Orthos is the only thing that runs my current CPU over 50C, and even then just barely at 51C. The highest the temps get encoding with DVDRB/CCE is 44C, and it's got to be over 80F in here, for the temps to get that high. Typical is 41-43C. The Freezer 64 and Freezer 7 are capable of handling up to 160w, but are more dependent than a Tuniq 120 or TRUE, on efficient case airflow to run cool. I don't think I will have any problems cooling when I graduate to a 955BE, using the Freezer 64 Pro, as I know I've done a good job insuring that the heat removed from the CPU, makes it efficiently out of the case. Even if the Freezer 64 proves to be inadequate, I'll still need far less than a proper tower cooler to do the job.

Best Regards,
    Russ