1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, it will work fine with the fan on a Tuniq, but suffice to say I wouldn't use it on a pair of 1900rpm slipstreams as I do with channels 1 & 5 on my Rheobus Extreme.

2. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Speaking of fan controller's, what are some good one's (preferably without lights)? Probably going to be getting one of them and some crazy powerful fans as my next upgrade since my currant fans push almost no air lol.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Most unlit fan controllers are quite weak. However, the original Sunbeam Rheobus, though the LEDs are almost certainly bright enough to cause severe eye damage if stared into, they can be removed easily, without any modifications necessary.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

So it would overload the controller then(Multiples)? I'm afraid money is really tight right now. I could be into a supremo controller in a few weeks. What's the TOP DOG that you would recommend? Keeping in mind, that the CPU is what I chiefly wish to control ;)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  5. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

I rather go this route
    [​IMG]

it kinda hard to find any without lights these days plus they make your case look nice also

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2010
  6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Not really anything wrong with it. I just prefer to let my board control the fan speed. Let my case fans run full-out and let my board/temps control the Tuniq's fan speed. I prefer hands-free operation after the initial setup and a manual dial does not let me do that. Noise levels stay tame under idle and reasonable under load.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Get a 965 C3 Phenom, and then tell me you want your board to control the fan speed :p It's very strange LOL! I don't blame the tuniq, because apparently my situation is not uncommon...

8. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Thanks sam. Is the original link? Cheap enough to buy two without breaking the bank, unlike the fans it will be controlling lol.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Maw: Correct (the LEDs on the ZM-MFC1 will recommends are quite expensive, and the MFC1 is a weaker controller. I do own one, however, as they were cheap in the UK for a time)
    Omega: I own the latter. They are both identical aside from colour and are also excellent controllers. However, I do not believe the LEDs are removable on the extreme. They are fortunately not as bright (and brightness scales with voltage, instead of colour with the original), but they still put out a lot of light.

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Newegg does not have your particular model then eh?

One of the reviewers said that he modded his led's to be green, like the rest of his case. I have nothing against blue :) Probably looks similar to the HAF932's Power and HDD led.
    I also read that about the LED intensity being progressively brighter, depending on output voltage/Rpms ;)
    I may just buy the black one. I'm probably gonna spray paint my 7200S optiarc Beige burner. It doesn't look right in my black case LOL!

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...apparently running my Tuniq fan controller was unsuccessful. It's becoming more and more likely, that either the fan was fried in the process, or the header was fried. I get 0 Rpms from the bios, and multiple sensor programs. E.g. everest and speedfan. Speedfan acknowledges that fan 1 is 0 rpms, and everest thinks that my HDD cooler is the CPU fan. Kind of weird, but confirmed. It's a good thing for the Tuniqs super size physique, as well as the HAF932's superior cooling. Its actually doing fine without the fan running. Though I won't be doing any strenuous tasks til I get this figured...

I guess the 1900 slipstream is going in after all. I don't understand how this has happened. I actually went about this, what I thought to be the careful way. From what I can tell, there are 2 possibilities to hooking it up right. One of them is no doubt the wrong way. But I assumed my way to be the correct way. Unfortunately, the Tuniq manual gives no aid in running its own controller :(

What I did was run the 3 pin cpu fan connection, to a adapter. Which supplies red and black with a molex connection. Giving the red one a 12V connection. And I ran the remaining yellow connection to the CPU fan header. Giving the bios and windows its sensor. The Tuniq fan ALSO has a 2 pin, which obviously runs directly to the Tuniq fan controller. I ran it this way.

The only other way that it COULD be ran, is to give the main 3 pin connector to the CPU fan header(as usual), and give the Tuniq its required 2 pin. This seemed wrong to me. It seemed as though both board and controller would be fighting over control this way ;)

Did I miss some step? Should I have set something in the bios? In any case, it won't run normally now. Could the header on the board be dead now :( ???

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I can be such a fool sometimes LOL! I went to install the 1900 slipstream, and discovered that I ran a wire THROUGH the Tuniq's fan. I imagine the look on my face was priceless, when I tugged on the fan to attempt to remove it! I saw the cases exhaust fans wire move, and was like Oh! And I'm thinking to myself that I probably fried the fan because of sheer stupidity LOL! Well...live and learn LOL! If I had had a 3pin extension cable, I wouldn't have ran into this mess. Neweggs somewhat of a pain to find good 3 pin cables too. I'm probably just looking in the wrong place though...

My new idle temp at 1600Rpms, appears to be 35-36C. I imagine the slipstream running at full 1900-2000 would be the same volume level, and do same or better job. I had it ran outside of the case, and didn't sound too loud at all. I may just run it soon. If only to see if it does a better job than the tuniq's stock fan ;)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Omega: It's voltage, not rpm, as it still lights up with nothing connected, and it also lights up with my white CCFL attached. I have no idea what was going on with the fan, but it sounds like you hooked it up in such a way that the rpm wire was isolated, so wouldn't be able to send a signal to the board. Also remember that the yellow wire only carries the rpm signal, it doesn't adjust the speed for you!

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    No way on the first one. That puppy is loud! The 80mm I have on the cover is the same CFM as your 120. 1200-3600 rpm. It sounds like a frenzied Bee on Steroids! It screams and buzzes. I can't stay in the room, it hurts my ears! Thankfully, it runs at a more sensible (and quiet) 1200 rpm.

BTW, how did you wind up needing an extension for the 3 wire on one of your fans? The wires on the Silverstone and Scythe fans I have, are plenty long. My rear fan get's it's power from the Power fan header on the front edge of the motherboard. I can't imagine needing more length than that.

Russ

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I had a feeling about that. That's why I figured it NEEDS to be on the mobo. Good thing I got everything sorted. As silly as the screw up was LOL!

Russ, what are you talking about loud? None of my current fans are loud, by any means. Unless I crank the tuniq to max 2100. That's a bit much!

Apparently, by having a wire blocking the fan blades, there was no signal...

17. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Is the phenom II X6 (6 cores) is coming out soon?

i read there's gonna be a Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition for $299.99 and the Phenom II X6 1055T for $204

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2010
  18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

IICR its out, no?

im anticipating bulldozer! that sounds like it will raped the i7s. and hopefully the sandybridge, so i can swtich to AMD. i want to try the dark side :p :D

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  20. redice

redice Regular member

wow the phenom II X6 looks really good. i may have to make my return back to AMD soon.