1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Can't wait to play with AMD's new stuff ;) Unfortunately, I may have to. I have two quad core machines. To say that isn't enough, is ridiculous LOL! But then, BluRay encodes, have the ability to bring even a quad to its knees. Sounds like a Job for...Superman! LOL! Oh, I mean Bulldozer :D

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Does the 6 core support 790FX or do I need to go to a new platform to use it? Maybe I can get by with a BIOS update? Unless there is something tremendously compelling about said new platform... =/

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I would imagine a bios update would be all that's needed. That's no doubt a fact, with my secondaries board. Supposedly supports AM3 chips. It really depends on Gigabyte. In your case, it depends on DFI ;)
    I have a 2001 Asus board, and put a CPU in it that was NOT supported. It actually started up, and ran. But programs like CPU-Z were confused. If the socket matches the CPU, it generally will be compatible. But the board needs to be taught what to do with it. Wish I had some programming skills. I could probably make that thoroughbred compatible in that old asus board :D Since its an overclocking cpu, it could be a fun task one day ;)

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

On another note, My primary system is now running at a lower temperature while encoding, than it did idling before :) Very pleased! Although the Tuniq fan is running at a constant 1750Rpms! It's bearable. Though I'd like to see how the Slipstream compares...

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

My secondary PC blue screened 3 times in under 24 hours. The 3rd time was an attempt to force the blue screen. It worked. I ran Prime 95, and it BSOD'd in under 4 minutes. I brought my Overclock back to stock settings. It's been running for 13 minutes without fail. I wonder if the PSU is going. I ran memtest for 90 minutes. Zero errors. I have always wondered about the PSU. Especially when I attempted to go beyond 3.5Ghz. Since its Dual sli capable, I've always thought it a B grade PSU. But now it may be dieing. The only way to know for sure, is get yet another PSU. This time, get my primary a Nearly future proof supply. One with serious potential. And give the secondary a hand me down 550W corsair. I guess I could run the Corsair in the secondary, and see how it fairs compared to the OCZ 700W. Wish I had more time...

Prime 95 has has now been running for 20+ minutes without fail. So its either a power issue, or a heat issue(Chipset or CPU).

Since I've been running Ripbot264 for hours and hours, its possible, that heat has effected either the PSU, or the Chipset?

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm now leaning toward the OCZ 700W is failing. I just tried to boot the system, and it hung and started to give recovery options. I entertained the option. It could not recover. However, I heard a Optical drive restart itself twice during the process. Which suggests the HDD was not getting stable power either. Wonderful...
    POWER INTERRUPTIONS! I'll play some more with it tonight, but I really think I have a bad PSU on my hands. Which could be ok. I want a different PROPER PSU for my primary anyway. I'm not even gonna deal with OCZ on this either. Somehow, I doubt they'll give me a refund, partial or full. So I'm done with them. There are better manufacturers :D

I believe this will be my replacement
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010
    It has 12 Sata power connections. My dream come true LOL! 90% efficiency, 7 yr warranty. What more could I ask? EXCELLENT :D

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

oman7,
    No offense, but that was an incredibly bone-headed thing to do, especially if the CPU is an AM3. Even more so if the motherboard isn't AM3 ready. Just because you might have a socket AM2+, doesn't mean that you can put an AM3 CPU in it. One of the things you can wipe out is the DDR3 memory controller. Most AMD AM3 CPUs, have both DDR2 and DDR3 controllers. but there were a couple that were AM3 Only, and had no DDR2 memory controller built in. These have to be installed in a proper socket AM3/DDR3 motherboard. I wouldn't recommend trying that again, as you were very fortunate that it worked at all, and didn't render the CPU useless.

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

it wouldnt surprise me, but it shoudlnt fail that badly, unless on load.

how long have you had the OCZ? you might aswell RMA it and sell the RMA.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL RUSS! No, no. The cpu was an old K6 Thoroughbred Athlon XP-Mobile. It was a total goof on my part. Long story. Yes, thankfully it didn't hurt something. But the processor is really similar to 2100 Palomino which ended up going in the board. I would never put an AM3 in such an old board :p And my Gigabyte board is an AM2+/AM3 board. That's what I meant by supporting AM3...

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

at first i was like WTF is month number 15, than i rememberd the american system lol. thats not even 2 years old, RMA that biatch!

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I don't know what I was thinking buying that supply. Its only certification is SLI. No bronze, no silver, its not even 80% efficiency. Live and learn...

I probably will sell the replacement. If I'm lucky, maybe they won't have the exact replacement, and I'll get a better one :D

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Although now, I don't think its the PSU. This certainly drove me up the wall, but now its running normally now. I cleared CMOS, disconnected a possibly defective HDD, and its been running smoothly, AND overclocked for over 30 minutes now. I even had it overclocked to 3.7 for a short time. Most stable I've seen it. The RAM doesn't like it though LOL! I have 4 modules in that particular PC...

I currently have the 940 running at just under 3.5Ghz, the Ram at 900Mhz(1066Ram DDR2), and the HT/NB at 2020Mhz. Smoothest I've seen in a while.

Its become apparent to me, that the 74Gb raptor is a lost cause. I Won't be using it for anything now. Much like my last VelociRaptor, I believe it to be intermittently dropping connection. Which is not good for the southbridge or OS for that matter. In fact, it wreaks havoc on both LOL! It is possible, that I simply have yet another wiring issue. If anyone has a way, to Benchmark a PSU, I'm all ears. I'll probably do some googling of my own, but any opinions are of course welcome. If I can find ANYTHING wrong with the PSU, I will RMA it in a heart beat! And probably sell the replacement. Perhaps even to an afterdawn user cheap. I'm a pretty nice guy. A few of you have dealt with me first hand ;)

I'm gonna encode a BD over night, and hope I don't start a fire LOL! If it survives the night, then it was probably the Raptor, or its sata cable. Its one of the red ones, so maybe it is the problem. A few people on afterdawn have suggested that red ones are of cheaply made quality. I do have some yellows laying around. I may yet give it another shot. But I would prefer a smaller PSU in that damn case first!

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

OCCT3.0 has a PSU stresser if you want to use that. have you swapped out sata cables?

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Nah. I didn't try new sata cables yet. I don't even have proper Power cables for it either. That case is a friggin mess. I really need a proper PSU for it. I think the 550W corsair that's in my Primary would do quite nicely. And then replace that with that God like 750W corsair. Then, I would be on cloud nine :D

I totally forgot that OCCT had a Power supply tester. It seems like I heard something about that though. Something warning against it. And If I'm not mistaken, it may have been sam warning me. Don't know why though. I know the risks of testing equipment. And besides, if the PSU is under warranty, what the heck :D

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

haha i love that attitude :)

see this is why you need cable management ;)

19. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

some one bring a bin to vomit in