1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Russ,

I've seen some rigs with internally mounted rads what will cool just fine, much better than air at least. Problem is I don't believe any of them were real quiet as they moved a lot of air through the case XD

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Haha I'm using a HAF 932 without the sidefans and it's still one of the best cooling cases I have used. VERY tempted to go to CM though and get the ventilated side panel.

Been hearing lots of complaints about the DK-790FX-M2RS's chipset running very hot. Granted the cooling is a bit skimpy, but for some reason mine has always had reasonable temps???? I think it might have to do with the fact I've always run it in a full tower case. Mid towers are too cramped to provide adequate airflow for those small sinks.

I might even go as far as cutting a hole in my glass panel, and mounting a 120mm intake.... Hmm or remove the window entirely and replace it with some sort of wire mesh. I've noticed that unless my ambient temps are fairly good, the chipset can hit up to 68*C. Pretty toasty but not dangerous AFAIK. In the dead of winter or in the summer with AC though, 59*C.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

No side fans? Ah man, Every one of my rigs has benefited from at least 1 side fan. Its my hopes/plans to give the Haf932 4 120mm 1200rpm slipstreams to replace the 230mm fan. I imagine the effect will be noticeable :) If my Secondary didn't have a side fan( I modded it), it would be frying right now. It loves its 1200 slipstream ;)

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Oh for sure it's definitely in the works. I imagine if I were running single card, the chipset wouldn't run so hot. Since this isn't really an option for me though, I imagine an intake fan will be worked into the formula soon. I'm just not entirely sure how to go about it yet. Would be very beneficial though as it's the only questionable temp in my system.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Tell you what! My encodes don't break 45C! I think I'm about 1 rear fan replacement away from being as good as you can get!
    http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/6295/dvdrbcce2.jpg

I sent this to Will so he could see I wasn't kidding about my encoding temps! At an average of 30 minutes per encode, it ain't slow either! LOL!!

I think Assistance has just arrived! :0)

Happy Computering,
    Russ

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

CCE encodes don't count russ :p LOL! I bet you only average between 50-65% cpu usage eh?

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Red_Maw,
    Which is why I want the Rad outside. With the modifications I suggested, I would probably need just the lower fan on the rad, and I'm pretty sure the case airflow can handle what's left inside the case, without breaking a sweat! I thought of two fans for the rear, instead of a spacer, but I was worried about beat frequencies out of the fans. Better to separate them with the Rad. I think it makes for a very simple solution, to what to my eyes see as an ugly, stressful (on the case), and space wasting problem. My solution moves the Rad 50mm closer to the case, and would look much neater as well, with far less "hang" strain, on the back of the case. If you look at the pictures, the Rad box is already drooping! LOL!!

Russ

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Since when don't they count? You must be thinking about BD! Nothing is going to help Encode times there except more cores. Even then, they will still be limited by the available bandwidth. It's also not going to dramatically improve Encode times the way it did for DVDs over the last 4-5 years. The problem is the hardware! It's getting harder and harder to get more bandwidth. SSDs are in many ways, still in their infancy, and pretty much priced out of the reach of most folks. I mean Rick just bought a 2TB Sata drive for $133. That price would get you about a 32GB or possibly 60GB in an SSD! A 1TB SSD costs $3800! Very few have that kind of money to spend, and it still doesn't address the bandwidth issue. With BD, you are not going to see anything like the same scale of improvement we got with DVDs, and it will have to cost a lot more!

Russ

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! What I meant was, your cpu isn't generating as much heat as it CAN. Prime 95 will tell you how good your cooling is ;) CCE barely touches a quad...

And of course I'm an @$$ for saying that. Because I just posted that my temps during cce were 39C :p

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, video encodes that don't maximise the CPU really don't count. Your CPU will run far far hotter under a proper stress environment. Video encodes may be the hottest your CPU ever gets, but using them nullifies any comparisons you draw to similar systems, as they will be tested under a proper loading.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam & Oman7,
    How do you feel about OCCT 3.0 then? 4 Cores, 100%, 53C! It used to hit 62-63C max before I installed the 120mm 40 CFM Scythe in the lower side cover. There's been no more mystery crashes either!

Edit
    Ran Prime 95, 4 cores, got the same result as OCCT! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Feel pretty good ;)

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

53C OCCT yet 55C in your encodes? Something doesn't add up. Have I remembered the numbers wrong?

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

45C encode ;)

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I did have an issue with the NB temp driving up the CPU temp at one time, remember? Maybe that's where the 55C came in! That's when I bought the 40 CFM Scythe and moved the video card to the other slot. My CPU temps have been as high as the low 60s, before I got the fans and airflow sorted. It generally encodes at 42-43C, Max. It's got to be over 85F in here before it gets 1 degree higher. Even then it's only a flicker to 44C, as it pretty much stays at 43! At 100% load, with all 4 cores, running OCCT or Prime 95 v.2511, 53C is about it! Task Manager/Performance confirms that all 4 cores are at 100%. I'm pretty sure that any heat issues I may have had, are gone for good! I think adding that 68 CFM Scythe, in place of the existing 53 CFM Silverstone, should drop the MB temp a degree or two, and maybe the same for the CPU. Keeping the MB temp down seems to be a key factor in having a cool running CPU with this motherboard. If I remember rightly, I had somewhat the same issue with the P35. The 40mm Antec was the solution there!

Russ

I've got to get a quieter fan for the lower front. The stock CM fan is all I can hear, ever since I installed the 40 CFM Scythe in the lower side cover and got rid of the other noisy CM!

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Great customer Service!
    Here's something for all, I got from Noctua. it seems they do have a cure for mounting the NH-U9B SE2, pointed in the right direction on an AMD. I emailed Noctua yesterday. I got this response this morning.

Thanks for contacting Noctua and for your interest in our products.

The NH-U9B SE2 can be installed in one direction only with the included parts, that's correct. We do, however, offer a free upgrade when needed which allows rotation of the cooler on AMD mainboards too.
    For further informations please take a look at the NM-A90 product page here:
    http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=produ...ts_id=36&lng=en

Best regards,
    Andreas Karner
    Noctua support team

It don't get much better than that, and it's free too! Proof of purchase for the cooler and motherboard required!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Just got the new Phenom IIx4 955BE, yesterday and installed it in my computer along with the new Scythe 68cfm fan.

Took it up to 3.6GHz. For now, that's about the limit for the Freezer 64. The CPU temperature will stay about 6-7C below the Core temps, but once the cores hit 62C, that gap shrinks pretty rapidly. Running Multi Core P95, the cores will reach 62-63C while the CPU temp will be 61. When I replace the front Cooler Master stock fan with the 53cfm FN121, it will probably lower those temps a degree or two. In a well ventilated case like mine, 3.6GHz is the practical limit for the Freezer 64. I planned on the 4 pipe Noctua NH-U9B SE2 92mm, anyway for 3.8GHz, but I'm still impressed with what the Freezer 64 can do!

The Benchmarks are looking better than the Athlon2 x4 630.

[​IMG]

Memory Bandwidth looks good too.

[​IMG]

I have my NorthBridge running at 2200MHz, But I can't get the HT Link Frequency to run over 2000MHz Like Oman7 can. Still it looks pretty good for 3.6GHz. I tried the NB Frequency at 2400MHz and it freezes at the windows screen, right when it starts fading in. You never know until you try. With the 630 I was able to run the NB at 2400MHz. Still, I'm happy with the results so far. I'll put the fan and new 700w OCZ GameStream in it some time this weekend, and see what that does for the temps.

Stay Tuned Kiddies,
    Russ

18. redice

redice Regular member

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I had the release day email from one of my store newsletters today.
    Raw processing power-wise, the 1055T should probably match up to a 2.9Ghz i7 and the 1090T to a 3.3Ghz i7. Not sure how well they'll overclock, but I expect the i7s and X6s will be on good evens, or in the i7s favour with overclocks considered. At stock though, the X6s will be by far the better value choice.

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Looks like it'll slap right in my 790X board. And use the memory installed :D Of course a bios upgrade will be required ;) At this point in time, I don't see the need for the upgrade. I'll wait till 1090T comes down to ~200$. THEN my eyes will be fixed on it. Though software upgrades need to evolve as well ;)