1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Pretty sure Newegg will give U the Rebate. If ya call-em

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

OMG The price is actually reasonable. This is tempting...

4. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Well when my 965BE C3 arrive back to my house from AMD in Sunnyvale,Cali i'll slap it back in the 790XT-UD4P and see what happens if it's the same issues the board will be RMA to Gigabyte and new board will take it's place in the Cooler Master 690II,My mind has'nt been made up yet on which one. I have to get in deep on which one has the best reviews and works well with the 965BE C3 First both Biostar and Gigabyte has been good to me on there intel boards but my feet are on new ground with AMD boards learning something new and who's the best on this side of the fence. I'm not worryed about all the bells & whistles each board has from one another my main goal is that the parts work together. I already know on here everybody is a Big Gigabyte Fan and 9 out of 10 has 1 but is that do in part cause gigabyte offer a voltage droop in there boards? or features they may have? I remember when,I walked on the seen with the Biostar I45 and the E8400 EO no one would show interest in the board but yet it held the record for Oc. I still have the board to this day Retired at the moment back in it's box resting under my bed. I liked that board and what it had to offer me on what. I wanted to do,Hold that's the point we buy these boards based off of what We want not others so opinions should'en matter,but hard cold facts do and proof that holds water like a bucket,but there's different brands and some make the Best than others but sometimes the cheap ones work better than the brand names some call it (Rebadge) like toyota to lexus what you driving look under the hood for small print everthing is not what it seems...

anyway guys here's my 2 choicest it will depend on the best Review based on the 965BE C3 mounted and how well they work together as a team...Thanks for all ya'll help in the past in the near future if need be:)

my case is in the middle.lol

[​IMG]

I will sell the UD4P for thr right price!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2010
  5. warpcrash

warpcrash Member

Well I had a water cooled pentium d 4 overclocked a full gig. But it died and well couldn't really hang on new games.

I had to get an emachine on credit cuz i was broke but now i'm about to rebuil the old one.

I'm on a limited budget of around $300

Heres what I need to rebuild or if something is close and like a refurbished system I would take it as well. Do you think I could play MW2 on this?

Here what i'm buying new.

Athlon x3 440
    Asrock mobo
    4 gb of dd3
    1TB HD
    Cost $280

Heres what I'm recycling
    DVD burners ext...
    radeon 4850
    BFG 500 or 600 watt cant remember Power supply.
    Custom painted case

So think it will game?

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

warpcrash,
    If you could be a bit more specific, and give us some models of the motherboard, memory, power supply and hard drive, it would help us have an idea of what you have in mind, and give us a better chance of helping you.

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. warpcrash

warpcrash Member

well by game i mean playing @ 1600 x 900 max setting 60 fps
    NEW STUFF:

CPU:

AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX440WFGIBOX

MOBO:
    ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
    AMD 770, AOD ACC support, 4x DDR3 1600, EuP Ready

RAM:

GeIL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10660) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model GV34GB1333C9DC

HD:

Seagate Barracuda LP ST31000520AS 1TB 5900 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

OLD STUFF:

VIDEO: RADEON 4850 512MB

POWERSUPPLY: BFG Brand 600 WATTS not sure on model

SPEAKERS: KLIPSCH 5.1 PROMEDIA

16x DVD BURNER

HP VOODOO DNA MOUSE

GENERIC KEYBOARD

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

warpcrash,
    It should do reasonably well.

A couple of things you might consider first though.

Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138167
    Even thought it has On Board Graphics, when you turn them off, they are completely off. It's just a higher quality MB than the Asrock, with a much better chipset for only $5 more.

CPU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103652
    As far as the CPU goes, I would worry less about the fancy paint job and spend the extra money on a Phenom IIx3 720BE. A much better gaming chip, with 6MB of L3 cache, in addition to the 3x512 L2. That 6MB of L3 cache makes a huge difference in gaming performance. I believe that it's been discontinued in favor of the newer 45nm chips, so when they are gone, they are gone for good. Far superior to the Rana 440 x3, and it's a black edition with an unlocked multiplier, too. The only down side is it's an OEM chip, so it doesn't have a great warranty. I've bought plenty of them and never had a problem.

All of this is dependent on if you can swing the price or not. If you can't I would still get the BioStar MB for the Rana 440x3. The Asrock has a Via chipset, and they are slow!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. warpcrash

warpcrash Member

interesting cpu didn't know they had 3 core phenoms...

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Asrock board is poor, avoid that. I also agree on the CPU to a 720. That way, you're actually getting a proper upgrade.

11. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    And I'm the one who's supposed to be getting senile. LOL!! What's that Titanium looking stuff on that Geil memory???
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144266&Tpk=GV34GB1333C9DC
    It's also $20 more for the Ripjaws, and he's on a tight budget. Memory you can upgrade anytime. The money is much better spent on the Phenom IIx3 720BE, and changing to the Biostar MB is a no brainer. Nobody who games, wants a Via chipped motherboard! Besides, when the 720BE is gone, there won't be anymore, and it stands head and shoulders above the x2 440 Rana as a gamer!

Russ

13. warpcrash

warpcrash Member

Well i got good news for me i won a couple thousand in an online poker tournament so i'm doubling my budget to around $600

New egg is having a nice looking combo deal on the new 6 core amd and it's only 20 more bucks than the x4 965 by itself anyway . i know it has 600mhz less clock speed per core but should i invest in it now and think about the future? or stick with the x4 965?

Here is the deal i'm talking about i will likely need a new video card to optimize performance...

Phenom II X6 CrossFire Technology Starter kit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo...Combo.432236&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-432236-_-Combo

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  14. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Even if the combo deal is awesome, I wouldn't go with that one. A 785G board will likely not have good enough power regulation for a Phenom II X6(at least not long term). Not only that but it comes with an ASUS board, and while they used to be good, ASUS's quality has dropped severely in the last few years. So sure it will work but I doubt for very long...

The other components in that combo are decent quality though a scratch build is almost always the better way to go. Just FYI, a 6 core CPU will NEVER affect gaming framerates with a single card. Very few games make full use of quads and most that do are coded for 4 cores maximum. Not only that but even with a quad core, you are more likely to have a video card bottleneck unless running a similar setup to my own, and my CPU is overclocked. I'd say get a lower clocked Phenom II X4 like the 955, a Gigabyte 785G board or similar, and for guaranteed quality and stability, a Corsair PSU. Of course these aren't the only quality choices, but these parts I will vouch for personally.

Especially if you are unsure of what to get, a Gigabyte motherboard should be the first thing on your list. They have guaranteed quality and stability, are well featured, and are very easy to setup and use if you are doing your first scratch build. Most others here will agree with me. I can also vouch for DFI, but they are more geared towards advanced users as they have nearly endless OCing and tweaking options.

15. warpcrash

warpcrash Member

Dang all i used to buy was ASUS mobos and video cards and they all made overclocking easy but it has been about 4 or 5 years thanks for the tip.

16. warpcrash

warpcrash Member

Well here's what I got so far and still recycling the 4850....
    and i know the cooler is bit a pricey but you do get a $10 tube of free artic silver
    I do wish to crossfire and this mother board does support 2 by x16 CF from what i can tell but is it over kill? and what 4gb dual channel ddr3 kit would be good?

COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower

HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.C HDS721010CLA332 (0F10383) 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

BIOSTAR TA890FXE AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor

Scythe SCKTN-3000 92mm Sleeve "KATANA3" 3Heat Pipes CPU Cooler

ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

warpcrash,
    You would be better off with a freezer 64, for your cooling.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125
    The design of the Scythe is poor. Single cantilevered coolers are prone to leaks because of all the weight being on one side of the pipes, due to vibration. It also comes up very short when it comes to cooling the Northbridge, as it only directs air to the rear and nothing to the side. I had no problem running my 955BE at 3.8GHz with mine. Temps in the 30-32C range at idle, and 47C full load. Comes with the correct amount of MX-2 pre-applied as well. I haven't used Arctic Silver since MX-2 came out!

The BioStar TA890FXE is a great motherboard! Unfortunately it has a very serious design flaw to it for anyone wanting to use Crossfire. The PCIE slots are far too close together. It's a shame really, because the board is very good. You might want to consider this GigaByte instead.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128416

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I agree. The Cooler is very good, provided the case is good. Your 922 should be more than sufficient ;) And the gigabyte board is incredible. I can vouch for that :D Don't buy any 16Gb kingston flash drives though :p

19. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2010
  20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    I wasn't complaining, I was teasing you about missing the Heat Sinks on the GeIL. That and he was on a very limited budget at the time, and $20 would have gotten him that much closer to being able to get the Phenom IIx3 720BE while it was still available. It's a far better gamer than the Rana 440xII at any speed.

The GSkill is fine, I had a pair of them at one time, but I sold them to get the Corsair Dominators. Same specs, but lower voltage. They also run nice and cool!

Before you ask, I wasn't casting any dispersions on the BioStar TA890FXE . It's just unfortunate that the guy responsible for the motherboard layout must have fallen and hit his head that day. The spacing on the PCI-e slots is ridiculously close. There's simply not enough space between them. Not for any serious video cards, anyway. It's a shame really, as it's quite a good motherboard.

Russ