1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'll swear by kingston Ram! Kingston Ram has never wronged me. I've bought it since 2003, since I heard it was some of the best of the best ;) Shortly after that, I heard that Crucial Ram was extremely good Ram. They've never wronged me either. But I stopped buying them, because people were suggesting they may be less than great. Since then, I've been pretty hooked on Gskill. Gskill hasn't wronged me yet!

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Omaan7,
    I quite agree! I never had any problems with GSkill. I used Corsair for a number of years, then switched to GSkill, but when the Dominators with their rather large heatsinks dropped in price so much, I bought a pair. They run much cooler than the GSkill's did, if you have the room! When I could get the 1066 5-5-5-15 for $44 with the MIR (which I received), I bought 2x2GB ones for this build. Very happy with my choice.

Russ

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah I can agree on G.Skill. Most of my friends use it as it happens to be the cheapest brand usually. Never seen a failed stick out of 20-some odd kits including high voltage DDR-2 ie 2v+.

I can also attest to the quality of Mushkin. Never done me wrong over 5 or 6 odd kits I've personally used. Too bad they don't make any real mid range kits anymore. Only high performance enthusiast kits. Particularly their XP(eXtreme Performance ie what I currently use) and Redline kits are very expensive :S

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ahhh yes. Mushkin. I have an 8Gb (4 X 2Gb) kit in my secondary system. Other than being expensive, very good ram. I would definitely buy Mushkin again. But I have noticed that you pay at least a little more for their Ram ;) Can't wait to get 8Gb in my primary rig. I use it. In fact, I can think of ways to use 16Gb :p

5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well, this being a primarily gaming rig and my secondary PC being mainly a storage box and light gaming, I have never needed more than 4GB of RAM. I assume I'll be sticking to 4GB until a game comes out to justify it. I haven't noticed a difference on 8GB equipped rigs, even with heavy mutlitasking. Photo and video editting on the other hand, I can see the uses very clearly :p

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Does anyone know how to set custom resolutions with Rivetuner 2.24. I want my new HD4670 in my phenom II rig, but it won't give me the 1680x1050 resolution of my monitor. It's not just the HD4670, it's any Ati card. I just love it! Sceptre blames Ati, and Ati blames Sceptre. It's a Mexican standoff! LOL!!

I've googled the problem, and there are 2,220,000 results. Isn't it nice to know I'm not alone!

Russ

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You can supposedly set custom resolutions with something called powerstrip as well. Unfortunately, My brothers Nvidia card isn't supported by the software, So I can't use it...
    I'm afraid I've never tried it with Riva tuner. I may just have to now ;)

8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

doesnt catalst give u the option?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I blame Sceptre to be honest. That's not needless protectivism, it's the monitor manufacturer's job to ensure compatibility with graphics cards, not the graphics manufacturer's responsibility to ensure compatibility with monitors. With two brands of card out there versus hundreds of monitor brands, it's not difficult for a monitor brand to get compatibility with both ATI and nvidia. Everybody else manages it.

10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

it could be eithers fault really. how would monitors that came out well before the graphics card be at fault. if nvidia can manage it why not ati?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well before the graphics card in question, but not well before other cards that would no doubt have the same issue. As Russ says, it's any ATI card. No monitor brand that brings out a new design requires reprogramming graphics drivers, other than when a new interface is introduced, such as displayport. Why would Sceptre be the only monitor manufacturer to need a fundamental rewrite of the software in order to function? If it were a quick fix, there'd be third party solutions everywhere.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,
    No, it doesn't. Supposedly if you set the refresh rate to 60, the resolution should appear on the list, but it doesn't! It's not just this new HD4670, it's all Ati cards and on board graphics. Ati wants to blame the EDID of the monitor, but Windows see's it, Sandra see's it, Everest see's it and so do Nvidia cards. So why don't Ati cards see it? There are hundreds of thousands of monitors out there, with the same problem, and not just Sceptre's either!

Ati is supposed to have the best graphics, yet they can't seem to address a simple problem like this! The HD4650 doesn't even play DVDs decently! They look like Sh*t!

Russ

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

DVDs will look terrible if you're not using the native resolution of a PC monitor.
    Interesting you should find so many results on google as I don't get any useful results at all when looking for your specific monitors, the issues almost always cite the X22wg gamer, which seems like a terribly unreliable screen from reviews, so it's no surprise there are problems with that.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    The thing of it is, everybody else doesn't manage it. These Ati/monitor conflicts exist with many brands of monitors, not Just Sceptre! There are over 2 million results listed in google. NEC, ViewSonic, as well as many other brands. Look at this!

[​IMG]

This is being read off the EDID chip in the monitor! nVidia cards can see it, so why can't Ati cards see it?

Russ

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The issue was common with early drivers from the AGP era. I haven't heard about it since about 3-4 years ago now. How many actual results (not just google results for a search term that are irrelevant) do you find from recent times?

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam, I don't remember exactly what I googled, but try this foe a startQ
    monitor can't display 1680x1050 resolution with Ati
    That will give you about 100,000 results. Many different brands of monitors listed too!

Russ

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    The Agp 8x X-800GTO I had was the only Ati card I never had any trouble with! The issue seems to be the 1680x1050 resolution, on all sorts of monitors!

Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I have a 1680x1050 monitor and four different types of ATI card. All of them can display it, Win XP, Win7, Win Server etc. Several of my friends use 1680x1050 monitors and various ATI cards too, literally the only place I have ever heard of the issue in recent times is with your case.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I love phenom processors... :p

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Well, according to google, I'm far from alone. My biggest question is, if the problem doesn't exist with nVidia video cards, then why does it exist with Ati's? Supposedly I can overcome this problem, using Rivatuner 2.11 up. I have Rivatuner 2.24, so I want to know how I can set custom resolutions for the HD4670, using it? I've only used Rivatuner with the X-800 GTO, and that was a while ago, and only for unlocking the 4 additional pipes and for overclocking the card.

EDIT:Here's the link where I found over 2 million results for the problem.
    http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source...OzQT2jtnPCgAAAKoEBU_QRHl6&fp=aa8f0ba61263b077

Russ

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010