1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THE NEW GUY with a few questions

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by olamite, Feb 5, 2005.

1. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

hursty,

Why don't you find two movies that are the same length. Rip w/ Shrink ... just the main movie w/o compression.

Let us know :)

2. hursty

hursty Active member

@flip
    i have tried what you suggested and have come to the conclusion that it all depends on the content of each "frame",not neccesarly the quality(assuming there has been no compression),on original movies,it appears that no special attention has been paid to the actual "main movie",in terms of less compression,at the manufacturing stage.
    i have tried several original dvd,each time,the more content,in term of "detail on each frame",the higher the "bytes",even though the playback time is the same.
    i can say however that each mb did average about 1.5 secs in playback.
    so on conclusion the more detail on each frame,the more the "bytes"
    a 5 min clip with lots of detail,say with explosions,flashes etc etc.(you get the idea),will be a bigger size file,than say,a 5 min clip of say,a black screen.
    you probably already knew this
    thanks for all your input,it was a totally useless piece of information i wanted,but there you go!!!!
    with kind regards hursty

3. pfh

pfh Guest

Your testing makes sense- size does not equate(sp)to time.
    Isn't this stuff fun?!

4. hursty

hursty Active member

thats what i was trying to work out...

when sold dvd,they usually come as "4.7gb,120 mins"
    (standard play),but it all seems to depend on what the actual movie is,in terms of detail,for how many minutes they can hold,without compressing them.
    my thoery is its not in the quality,its in the detail per frame.when dvd's are made,i am led to believe that each frame,when made looks to repeat itself,looking for the same information on the same frame,if there is a lot of different details that dont match each other on the same frame,it results in more bytes,and like i said previoulsy a black screen would just repeat itself.thus less info.

so i cant really get my head around the whole "dvd 4.7gb 120 min" thing,because that could be anything in terms of file size

with regards,and still a slightly confused
    hursty

5. pfh

pfh Guest

Yeah,it does get confusing esp. for a mathmatical slug like me! I guess that's why the alogorithims per encoder are so important and even the best ones are using guesstimates when it comes down to it. How acurate can that be?!
    Taking your theory about black pictures a bit further is it logical to think that recording a totally black dvd one could get over 5 gigs on it? Or should we use white since white is the absense of color and therefore require much less bytes?

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

If the size was the same And the running time was the same for the Movie only You may be able to draw a coralation BUT there's no way it would true for all DVD's.

As I proposed before it's not possible to say that a certain weight will equal a certain volume UNLESS the product, say feathers, were the same.

As to the size / time stamped on the discs, it just doesn't hold true as a statement of fact.

For instance, I put 4 DVD-9 movies on a single DVD and I also put 5 DVD-5 movies on a single disc BUT there are times when a single DVD can push a backup to one disc's limit.

You can put an average of 6 hours of SVCD on a DVD so even the format changes things.

In general then,

The difference of 4.7GB DVD and 4.36GB DVD -
    While the manufactures advertise the size of a DVD as a 4.7GB DVD disc it’s not true. It’s because they calculate what 1GB is differently. A DVD will hold 4700mb but that is not 4.7GB that is 4.38GB because 1GB is not 1000MB it is actually 1024MB. Manufacturers do this false advertising all the time so you think you are getting more than you are, They do it with Hard Drives also so if you buy a 120GB Hard Drive it isn’t really 120GB it is actually more like 114GB. (I think that’s right - lol) At any rate, we prefer to calculate the available writing space on a DVD as 4.36GB to include the reverse math and also provide a bit of room for overhead :)

. When stuck using cheapo media, I like setting the size to 4300MB you can actually see a tiny unburned ring on the outside of your next DVD backup. If you are stuck using "el Cheapo" media, this is one way to reduce your "coaster Percentage". The edge of the disc is the place where flaking sometimes occurs so that your movie might “stick” or “freeze” there

Since DL discs are still too expensive that most don't use them I won't speak of them here.

Pete