1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Greensman,
    I've bought over 35 NECs over the last year and have not had a single failure except the one that my defective Thermaltake PS burned out. Came at a good time, though. There was only 4 days left on the warranty! LOL!! BTW! The Thermaltake PS was replaced with a new one. Same model but a different revision and was a complete re-design! No more lexan covering 1/3 of the fan and no venting heat into the computer!

Lp531,
    Sounds a bit like the Devil giving a testimonial about the Fires in Hell! ROFLMAO!! I wasn't laughing as I was pulling the blazing drapes off the wall and depositing them in the shower, which thankfully was only 10 feet away!

Here's my testimonial about A-Open! Works well, even while fanning the flames pouring out the back! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ :>}

2. nighters

nighters Member

hm - i'm going to move all flammable stuff away from my dell (who knows what they used), my wife's pc (ps came with case, my first build) and also my mother's (which has the new cheapo $15 ps). maybe wrap some tinfoil around stuff to make them flame-retardant.

I'll keep some hotdogs on sticks in the fridge just in case too =D

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

nighters,
    Just make sure they are not corn dogs! The smoke ruins the taste! LOL!!

Seriously, I kept hearing a beeping sound, coming from my Landlord's office. I don't usually go in other peoples rooms, but something just made me open the door and check. I walked in just as the drapes went up! Old wooden house! It would have burned to the ground!

I actually repaired the computer by replacing the PS with a better quality one and it still works fine! Only thing it hurt was the hard drive, which went belly up almost imediately. Wiped out part of the hard drives bios. It's still usable, but only as a slave!

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The funny thing is that Dell use PC Power & cooling power units...

5. nighters

nighters Member

cool didn't know that. next time i crack mine open to blow the dust out i'll have a closer look at it.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They're labelled as Dell, but I'm told that in most cases they're PC power & cooling built, in the same way that my power supply, Antec ones and some Seasonics are made by Channel Well.

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

2 full days without a response in this thread!! ARE you kidding me.... :p

Thought that I would post this in case any of you US peoples needed it. :)

[​IMG]

Code's right there (EMC911CPU03), $5 OFF and FREE shipping. :) A E6750 delivered for $194.99!!

...gm

EDIT: How bout this board for $99.99 delivered.... promo code (EMC911MB01) GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, there's been a bit of a price drop here too, an E6750 can be got for £115.59 ($235) Considering how much we usually get stung compared to the US, that's not half bad. That's not delivered though, delivery is at least £5 (over $10) for any single item, pretty much anywhere.

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

Morning sammorris!!

Hope that my posting these deals aren't offensive or anything. I know they're only US promo's but that's where I live and wanted to help some people out. You (US ppl) can get the same deals but you gotta sign up for Newegg's sale emailer.... :)

...gm

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Morning! lol Well, afternoon now for me.
    I think posting deals like that are fine, as long as it's not blatant advertising.

11. nighters

nighters Member

heyas - checking back in. apparently newegg double-charged me on a couple orders putting my last order in limbo. called and got it fixed last night - hopefully i can re-order later today.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That sucks. Keep us posted.

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Good to know it was fixed. Are you excited for a new computer? I know I was when all the parts came in! Then the motherboard turned out DOA, that pissed me off just a bit(understatement) lol.

14. nighters

nighters Member

oh i'm excited and nervous. got a lot of my orders today. I work night and was asleep when UPS arrived - so when i woke up i discovered the front seats of my mazda pickup full of boxes lol.

Case survived shipping with no damage - only damaged box was for the new speakers I ordered that were shipping the flimsy retail box. Speakers survived though.

Going to have to look up removal & application of thermal paste - want to use the arctic silver instead of the stuff on the freezer 7 pro.

And what's the deal with all these warnings - "The Processor is Intended For Professional Installation" oh joy.

Now to find my anti-static wristband. Wife bought me Guild Wars to play. =D

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Don't remove the stuff on the Heatsink. The stuff Arctic Cooling uses is very good.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

All those warnings are there to cover the company's backside from being sued if idiots screw it up. Don't worry, it's a simple, easy process. Just take your time.

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah I didn't even use an anti-static wrist band. Just touched the metal, non painted, part of the case and I was good to go.

18. crowy

crowy Guest

Nighters,
    Just repeating what Abuzar1 said,leave the thermal paste on your freezer7.It's as good if not slightly better than the arctic silver.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Really? You surprise me!

20. nighters

nighters Member

alrighty.

found some more damage. took the bubble wrap off the floppy/card reader combo to find the faceplate off and upon further inspection the steel case was bent. Didn't seem too bad, fished out the eject button and got it put back together.

That corsair modular power supply is snazzy, i'm sure part of the cost goes into the handbag for the extra cables and the glued-foam packing.

I had an airflow question, now that I've got the case and can see what my options are. I can mount a large (haven't measured yet, but larger than 80mm) fan in the back and in the front of the case..and I can mount an 80mm under the HD in the front, and there's an 80mm on the side of the case. What would be my best airflow strategy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.