1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thanks for the info sam. just wanted to make sure i didnt do anything to loose it myself..

as for the other system..it has SP2 on it but i dont think it has done all the updates to it. ive been haven problems with that older system i think the mobo is going bad.. it will work fine for awhile then shut downand reboot itself i dont think it can handle windows XP. might need to put windows98 back on it..lol

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

got another question about Hard drives.

in my system now. ihave the 250gb HDD as master and the 100 gb as slave.. i know i got that backwards..lol

what i want to do is make the 250 slave and use that 160gb as master.

can i take the 160gb and put it in as master format it with my recovery disc to install windows to it? and then just copy the stuff i have on the 250(once it is set to slave) to the 160gb. the stuff that i want only.

or can i put the 160 in as a slave copy windows to it so i can have all the settings i have on the 250gb, so i dont have to redo everything?

am i makeing sence here or do i sound like a idiot???

dont answer that greensman...lol

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

Rob I don't think you need to "make" your 160 the "master" drive for any other reason than it makes you "feel" better. lol.

I have my "old" Dell set up with a 320 as master and a 160 as storage and she works just fine. :) The 320 has a faster seek time and it replaced a 40 when I made the change a few years ago. ;D

One question tho...what is the cache on the 160 and the 250?? If anything if one of them has a 16MB cache I would use that one as MASTER....If they both have the same cache then it doesn't really matter.... ;)

....gm

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@greensman

the 160gb is a 8mb cache and the 250gb is 16mb cache . as for the 100 gb i have set as slave now i dont know what it is. it was with the puter when i got it. stock...

the 160gb is just a pata/100 160gb 8mb cache hdd i got from office max for a b-day present.
    http://www.officemax.com/max/soluti...odBlockOID=1611334088&expansionOID=-536892754

sounds like i need to leave the 250 as master and install the 160 as slave and just copy the info from the 100gb to the 250 then take that info from the 250 and put it on the 160..

or right now the 160 is in the old tower with xp on it i can take out the 100gb and put it with the 160 transfer the info that way and then put the 160 in with the 250???

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The more cache the better! Set the hard drive with more cache as your primary.

6. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

@cincyrob

If you have a copy of Norton Ghost or any software of the sort. You can create your own "recovery" disc with everything installed the way you like. With Norton Ghost or similar software it doesn't limit you to what any particular sized drive to restore your image to. So say you create a recovery image of your 250GB HDD but want to restore that image to the 160GB HDD, it will do so with no problems, with the exception that the image itself is not larger than the target drive.

@rick5446

you can simply get a DVI to HDMI cable, so you won't have a convertor to have to deal with. I am outputting a 1080i signal from my HTPC (Radeon x1600) with such a cable. I picked it up at Wal-Mart for around $20USD, Phillips branded. NO audio this way so be sure to have a mini plug to RCA audio cable too.

Cheers!

7. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Thanks everybody.I'll check out that card

6spdSER..How long was the cable ? I need about 14foot cable.I need to go up & over 5ft. & down to TV

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think you may just about be ok there, DVI has a maximum cable length of 15 feet. Hopefully the attenuation caused by a DVI to HDMI adapter won't push that over the edge.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  10. crowy

crowy Guest

Or you can go optic fibre here
    and not worry about the 15 feet barrier.

Regards,Crowy.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Crowy, long time no see!
    $425, bargain! :S
    It'd be a cold day in hell I pay that much for a cable!

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Holly Hanna Barbbara
    crowy..10 meters / 32.8 feet $350.00[WOW]..Also way to long.Don't need it in my garage
    for that kinda price is their a way to do it wireless ?

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Holly Hanna Barbbara
    crowy..10 meters / 32.8 feet $350.00[WOW]..Also way to long.Don't need it in my garage
    for that kinda price is their a way to do it wireless ?

14. crowy

crowy Guest

Sam,how's things your way?
    I wouldn't pay that much for cable either!!LOL!!

Regards,Crowy.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wireless? hmm, I think it needs CAT-5E cable to run over a network, which implies it uses more than 100Mbps so it looks doubtful, just get the adapter that lets you do it over CAT-5E cables.

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

OK Thanks sammorris

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok guys heres what ive done with my HDD's

i took the 160gb(that was only showing as 127gb) put it in my main tower. wiped it clean.
    got the 100gb and copied the info i wanted off of it and pasted it to the 160gb which now shows 149gb after being reformated,wiped clean. now with the data i transfered it has 120gb available.
    then i wiped the 100gb clean and am gonna put it in my old system and put windows 98 back on it and see if i still have the same problem with it shutting down and rebooting... if it still does that i will be lobbing(begging) the wife to start the new build...lol

greensman i did it exactly the way you instructed me to do..
    dont know why but overall my system seems way faster. heck i have utorrent running right now and have no problems shuffleing through web pages......plus i did defrag everything ccleaner run antivirus ect...

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

NOW don't go telling my secrets. hehehe. j/k, GLAD you got it worked out. :)

Oh and don't think you won't have it all GUMMED up again....hahahaha

...gm

@sammorris,
    You don't really "LOOSE" the storage it's just that windows "sees" or "reads" the HDD differently than other OS's right? Learning here and trying to overload me little cranium. lol.

btw can you link me to the info you have about the conversion for windows on HDD's. tia..

19. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

@rick5446

My cable is only 6ft. But you can find longer like this one. Also (see here) there are many people running HDMI to DVI cables at lengths greater than 25'. I think as long as there isn't too much interference and the cable is properly shielded by the manufacturer, you should be just fine.

@cincyrob
    When a drive states "x" GB that is the unformatted size of the drive. In addition to Sam's explanation, you will also lose a bit of drive space from formatting as well. Glad your PC is back up to "speed."

20. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Well Thanks everybody.Thats the way I'm gonna go.DVI to HDMI is the best solution
    Another Question:I'm wanting a larger Monitor,but I'm thinkin about getting a 37" TV and useing it instead.Is a LCD Monitor,pretty much the same as an LCD TV...inch for inch LCD Monitors Seem to be a little pricey over 22",Also 22" is a bit small for me.Also I'll also have the advantage,of TV & DVD Components

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.