1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

sammorris..Well WOW..Thanks again,this site is really helping me become a Computer Geek..I've gotten a better education here then I ever thought of getting in High School.Of course that was 40+ Yrs ago.We had just gotten our first 7" TV,it stood 4 ft tall looked like a radio with a window in it.The first thing on was Howdy Doody,oopps Test Patern 1st

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol agreed, I've learnt more here than I did for several of my courses I studied at school...

3. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

sorry sam but i cant agree with that for a second, yes some mobos do have very good onboard sound chips but most dont. if you have a newer x-fi the difference is imense, try telling sombody who sneaks around a corner only to get shot in the face by me because i can hear them that my sound card doesnt make a difference. you are totaly right about the speakers/amp being as important but even the best speakers and amp in the world will only sound ok if your source isnt of the same standard.

i hear things ingame that half my clan mates dont due to my x-fi, we have the same settings in the options but not everyones soundcards can process all the post effects and that is where these "gaming" cards win out in my view.

once you have heard it you wont want to go back, trust me.

different note.

i just bought a coolermaster 690 this week, nice case, lots of room and that but the cooling on it is out of this world. holds 7 120mm fans and if you only use 2 5inch bays you can add an 8th in the 3 empty bays. it has taken 5c off my cpu and mobo temps at idle and although they still hit the same temp under heavy load they drop so much quicker its untrue.

so, if your after a case with lots of room for its size with good cooling (plus the posssiblity of water if you want :D) and dont want to pay thru the teeth then this is the case for you too.

it may be a slight rip off of the antec 900 but....:)...it does have a few improvements over it too.

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

That statement couldn't make me happier. :D I just ordered one of CM-690's thru SVC.com for $44.99 after MIR + shipping of course. I got some other stuff too so the shipping made the deal even better I think. :) I can't wait to build with that case now. :) I'll have to wait at least a month or so. Gotta wait for B-day $$$ and X-mas $$$ too. :D

...gm

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You know it was EID yesterday, but I don't really want to spend money on PC stuff. I was thinking yesterday, and I wondered what else would I need a higher end PC for except for gaming. I already have a 360 and not playing Crysis wont kill me.

So yeah, not really getting anymore parts for a while...

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Note I said 'nothing special' not 'nothing at all', I would always use a basic PCI or USB sound card over integrated, but you don't need to go X-Fi unless you're a musician.

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

From what I've heard though, Tigerdirect are useless for rebates and most people don't ever get them, so if you don't get yours, you'll end up paying more than at newegg, since their rebate system is far better.

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

I've had great luck with TD rebates. :) I like the EGG better but TD hasn't screwed me out of anything yet. ;) I even sent in 2 Rebates for RAM and they sent me both to my surprise because it said ONE per household. :D

...gm

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh fair enough, guess either you're one of the lucky ones or TD has improved. To be fair, Tiger Direct's UK site Misco is alright, they're just very picky about payment arrangements. It's fine now I have an actual credit card, but when you're younger and haven't got one, it's best to look elsewhere...

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I've always got my orders frm TD,but they also charged me sales tx on top of shipping

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Isn't that mandatory for some states though?

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Maybe its because I live in the same State [Fl.]..But any other order frm other Dist. come with no Tx..So far just TD

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

rick I think that TD has a "distributor" in Florida. :)

...gm

btw great thing about being in Texas, most of the puter companies are on the coasts!! hehehe. ;)

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

If you don't want tax from tigerdirect then go to globalcomputers.com. It's the same website just not based in florida, so no tax.

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

YES Your right they are based in Miami

17. mphsbelle

mphsbelle Member

Wednesday I start my first build. I have assembled all the needed pieces including the recommended 7600GT in one place. Any final tips or advice before I actually sit down and start? I am kinda nervous and excited. And the last time I took a class in school, computers were the size of the school room. LOL Thanx

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Make sure you use ESD precautions. Ground yourself before you start working.

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

I'm a little confused. Didn't take much really. :D

"assembled all the needed pieces"....you mean purchased from one place. :)

Anyway if you have any questions about assembly just give a call. :)

....gm

ADD:
    link to Tom's hardware know how

link to step by step at Tom's hardware

I'm sure that these links won't answer all your questions but i think it's a good start none the less. :D

20. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@mphsbelle
    If this is your first build...then Double Check your Connections...

If you were unsure about any Connections...Ask in Here...BEFORE...Turning the PC On...

Did You Install Thermal Compound on the CPU...Between CPU...and CPU Cooler...

Make Sure CPU Cooler Electrical Connector is Plugged into Correct Motherboard Fan Header...

Make sure Wires are Clear of all Fan Blades...Leave the side Panel to your Case...Off...

Once you turn the PC on...Physically look at the CPU Cooler Fan...and Make Sure it is Spinning...If it is Not...Shut It Down!!!...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.