1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

than the 2100 series is actually what I meant, but nonetheless, from 1.8 to 3.3 (as seems to be the reported common maximum) is an impressive overclock, I don't think many 6000 series CPUs can beat that by much.

2. schpoogle

schpoogle Member

Me again. I hope you don't mind if I toss a couple more questions your way. I was going to get the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard, and was probably going to get it at Newegg, but they couldn't tell me if it was rev.1.0 or rev.2.0. I noticed other sellers were stating that their's was 2.0. I'm not sure what this refers to, but someone who got rev.1.0 in Sept. said in a review that when rev.2.0 comes out there will be changes to heatsinks and io ports. I thought at first the rev. numbers referred to the bios, but it sounds more like the hardware now. Any thoughts on whether it really makes a difference?
    Thanks guys, I'm almost there.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The GA-P35C-DS3R v1 and v2 are rather different, additional S-ATA ports, things like that. The GA-965P-DS3 v1 and v3.3 decided whether or not the board supported Quad cores, so yeah, it's usually better to get a new revision board. Best practice is to ask newegg, if they can't or won't say, don't buy from them, simple as that.

4. mphsbelle

mphsbelle Member

Greetings. I found the beeping problem - RAM not seated all the way. Didn't help the main problem. Changed the hard drive cord to the MB. Still doesn't work. So I disassembled the entire unit. I still go back to the initial uneasiness when I installed the cpu in the MB. So I reinstalled it. I stopped there as it seems there is some grinding as I try to close the 775 socket. I may have damaged the Q6600. So I will try again today and let you know what I find. I did have the monitor hooked up to the motherboard instead of the graphics card. That grinding sound makes me suspect of the 775 socket.

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

belle,
    With your "uneasiness" on the install of the cpu it makes me leery as well. When you "pull" the cpu out be careful of course but turn the "chip" over and examine the "bumps" or "contacts" to make sure they look ok. Then look at your mobo to see if any of those contacts are astray. (edit with the help of crowy) :D

hth.........

btw the install of the cpu should be fairly easy and the cpu should drop right into the "board" like a peg in a round hole. hehehe. :p

...gm

edit: for clarification and crowy's help

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  6. crowy

crowy Guest

Greensman, socket 775 cpu's don't have pins!!

http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket 775 (LGA775).html

mphsbelle,
    Get a magnifying glass and have a close look at the cpu socket on the motherboard.You will see 775 little contacts that are all shaped the same way.Have a really close look and see if any of these are touching each other.
    Regards,Crowy.

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I want to put my Comp. through a stress test[CPU & MEMORY]any suggestions as to what I should use.I want to make sure my mem is up to par

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket 775 (LGA775).html

My bad........shows how smart I'm not. Thanks for the explanation crowy. ;)

....gm

edit: here's some pics that I found and the link to the source.... ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

link to source....

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  9. greensman

greensman Regular member

Here's a few....

Prime 95

sisoft sandra.........reporting tool

cpu burn-in.
    ........not sure if this supports XP or not

OCCT

This is just a few of the progies that I've used in the past. Prime 95 is the easiest for me to use, fairly simple and intuitive. Be sure to use the "torture test" if you use this progie. It's not the best one for your use but it'll work. Hopefully one of the 'gurus' will add some ideas too. ;)

....gm

edit:
    memtest86+

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Prime 95 only stresses one core, so you would be better off with orthos, which is basically Prime 95, it just uses 2 cores.

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yes I think so. You CAN run two instances on Prime 95, and that would be the same thing as Orthos, but it's simpler with just have one program :p

13. edsrouter

edsrouter Member

Quick question regarding cooling. I have a spare Antec P150 case shown below. [​IMG]

Also just got a quad core Q6600, and a 8800 GTS and a 680i motherboard, and 650W PS. I mostly just get this gear to stay ahead of the times and play great games. As far as cooling is concerned the case has two 92MM fans for the front and a 120MM fan for the back and no side ducts. Since I'm really not into overclocking I just went with the stock heatsink that came with the Q6600. My question is am I undercooling? I've heard the 8800 GTS puts out a ton of heat and I'm concerned if I go with this setup I could be doing myself a performance dis-service. Any comments would be appreciated.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The P150 is a little mediocre on the cooling side, but it's the stock cooler on the Quad I'm concerned about. Not that they're at all bad, but stock coolers are never excellent.

15. aszbaz

aszbaz Guest

Hi guys, i have a little problem

i have an original copy of HITMAN BLOOD MONEY, and i tryed running it on my pc. here are the specs :

1GB DDR2 RAM
    128MB INTEL GRAPHICS CARD
    500GB/7200RPM HDD (WESTERN DIGITAL)
    2X DVD DUAL LAYER 16X RW
    6 USB PORTS
    TV TUNER CARD
    2.8GHz Intel Celeron D dual core CPU

Ive installed the tv tuner card myself, along with an extra DVD RW. im planning on upgrading to 2 GB ddr2 ram soon, and adding a 120GB hdd. i have A 1gig memory card in my card reader that is used for system readyboost in vista. the problem is, when i run hitman after installation, i plays the little crappy clip which is before the game menu, but after that a message comes up reading "hitmanbloodmoney.exe has stopped working". WTF?! so i tryed running a "backup copy" with a dvd. the same thing. i took the backup and mounted it to a virtual drive. same result. ive heard windows vista cannot run certain games due to hardware/software bugs, but this takes the piss. i have a spare PC to try it on with XP, but it doesnt have a supported graphics card.

is their anyway i can make it run? i was planning on using that 120gig hard drive to install XP on to run the game, but the problem is that I got that hard drive off a friend of a relative, and he said to get rind of the data as he stored accounts, banking details, insurance, business etc.. on that, and didnt use the internet on it. so i used killdisk and their was a powercut halfway through. now nothing is detecting it, windows, killdisk, NOTHING! plz help me!!!!

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

Rob I'm sure the hsf will work with the C2D but it doesn't say so in the specs for the fan. ;)

Look at this one for your E6750. link for hsf

I have this one in my AMD 3800 rig and it runs at 35* C at idle, down almost 10* from my old hsf.....btw it was an after market fan too. lol.

the old stand by from AC: the AC Freezer Pro 7

You might also check out some from ZeroTherm and of course Zalman.......... you might PM our favorite little TY man too. hehehe. :p

....gm

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I'll vouch for the freezer 7 pro, it's very nice.

19. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Rob, my 2 cents,
    Are you planning on overclocking? I've built two E6750 systems and the stock cooler is adequate at full load. It didn't get higher than 45'C if I remember correctly. Of course it will run cooler with an aftermarket heatsink.

The systems I built both used Antec Sonata cases which don't have great airflow. At stock clock I found the Intel heatsink OK.

One of my favorites for looks and performance is the Zalman CNPS9700 LED. Mine allows for reasonable overclocking and looks spiffy.
    I'll second greensman's pick of the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. An excellent, quiet cooler with a great price.
    If you do go aftermarket, don't forget to get some Arctic Silver Thermal paste. I clean off the stuff Intel puts on the stock coolers and use AS on those too.

Edit: abuzar1 beat me so I'll be the third person to endorse the Arctic cooler.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  20. mphsbelle

mphsbelle Member

Okay, I completely took apart the build and reinstalled everything. Tapped f2 like crazy when I tried to boot up as per inst. Nothing. All fans are working and MB has a light on it so it has power. I tried hooking up Monitor to MB and then to graphics card. Still nothing. So once again I took everything apart and this time installed CPU into cheap MB that it came with. No grinding and CPU installed easy as pie. Gotta hook up monitor,KB, and mouse and I will let you know what happens. Will send other MB back to Intel as I think something is wrong with it but who knows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.