1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

rick,

we're getting a little off topic but to answer your question, verbatim dvd+r's (booktyped dvd-rom) are all I use anymore. they all play back perfectly in all my set top dvd players when burned on my litey or benq. the only time they cause problems is when I burn them using the samsung slimdrive in my laptop (which of course is not capable of bitsetting). I don't however have as good of luck or performance with verbatim dvd-r's. as we all know dvd-rom is the most compatable format and it is physically impossible to booktype a -r dvd-rom. only a dvd+r/rw can be booktyped dvd-rom.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Lp531, it was the BFG version. It was avaliable for 249 but it seems to be sold out now. Check your local shop, they don't have that one online.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I wouldn't get your hopes up personally.

4. Neverhap

Neverhap Guest

They are back with same discounts.....I just purchased one, along with a whole bunch of stuff for a new build.

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Since we are on the subject of great deals, that new Zune 80 looks awesome.

6. eirvine

eirvine Member

yeah sam, im exited about getting my hands on a zune. with the landscape video mode and the bigger screen, i think itll be much better than an ipod.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Excited though you must be, is this really the thread for that? :)

8. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

I bet the sound quality isn't as good as the IPod thats whats more important to me

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I see we have an ipod fanboy. Read the thread title, please. That discussion belongs elsewhere.

10. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

OK this is the LAST off topic post, after that PM me about it. The sound quality on the Zune is MUCH(I can't emphasize this enough) better than the iPods. Seriously the only reason I hadn't bought the iPod is because I can't stand listening to Music on it, it's that bad.

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I was always informed that Plextor was the Cadillacs,Cadillac..Back when Burners were 99bucks,Plextor was 150bucks..I've seen nothing but raves on them.That really looks like a good buy.I've still got an old 4x & its still kickin

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

rick is correct. the old plextors back when they were actually made by plextor and used the sanyo chipset were the cadillacs of dvdrw drives, PX-704, PX-708, PX-712, PX-716, PX-755, and PX-760 however the PX-800 is made by sony-NEC and uses a NEC chipset. still good but not the elite they once were.

15. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Now I've read a lot of Blogs and NEC are supposed be excellent burners too.Back when BenQ were still around, NEC was always in the top 3 selections

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I'd take my beemer over a Cadillac any day lol.

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

yeah the sony-NEC's are very good drives and still rank right up there but they're not a plextor (old genuine plextor that is). a sony-NEC dvdrw can be had most any day for a little over $30 bucks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827152079

I guess my point being why spend more money for a plextor branded sony-NEC when you can get the same thing without the plextor brand anytime for less only difference being the plextor branded sony-NEC will use plextor firmware and the sony-NEC will use their own firmware.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  18. greensman

greensman Regular member

Both are over priced!! lol. ON top of that BMW have an IMPORT tax!!! I HATE TAXES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Lp531,
    I think the new Plextors are less than desirable from everything that I've read. :) (because most are rebadged and people want the real thing) I will say the the 810 series are Pioneer 212's and ZOSO has 2 and loves them but that's all I really know. ;)

NOW on to what I do know. hehehe. The new Lite-On 20A4P series is looking really good, I have 5-6 Lite-Ons and NONE of them perform poorly. Of course I normally use GOOD quality media and that makes more difference than anything as you well know. :p

If I was buying a new ODD I would L@@K at these drives, sorry for NO links. :p

Pioneer 112 (other f/w available)
    Lite-On 20A1X series or 20A4X series (other f/w available)
    Samsung S203X series
    Sony NEC Optiarc 7170X series or 7190X series (other f/w available)

I have all of these drives except the 20A4X series and I'm thinking about one those because of the results the guys are getting at CDFreaks. :D

Any more questions?? hehehe

....gm

edit: Mort81 touched a little on the Plextors and some of the issues I've heard/read. I completely agree on spending less for the same thing. One thing to consider is the "software" that comes with the Plextors. Plextools that is....

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Will the plextools work on the Sony/NEC

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

rick I would say no but I don't 100% know. :) I haven't seen any crossflash f/w for the Sony's that would make them Plextors. If any body has more info please post. ;)

....gm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.