1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Corsair PSUs have the same fan speed to temperature ratio as most other units. They stay quiet because they are so incredibly efficient, the components inside don't get very hot. The Delta T for the HX units never rises above 12 Celsius, even at full load of 620W. Consider that a top end PC with two 8800GTXs and an overclocked Quad core CPU uses no more than about 450W.
    The Delta T of the PCP&C Silencer remains no higher than 10 Celsius, but at such obscene noise levels that it hardly seems worth it. The fan in the PCP&C is rated at 3900rpm full speed. With 80mm fans, 2500rpm or above is obtrusive. 3000rpm is as loud as a Zalman heatsink on full speed (can you relate)? 4000rpm is torture to anyone's ears.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  2. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

No P/S will ever be at full load...and Quiet...at 450w they were within 1db...so were is the this big noise difference...I will take the extra noise for the cooler components every time...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The extra noise difference is at 250-300W, where most PCs operate under load.
    Note, I typically recommend the HX Corsair every time, rather than the VX series which is far less impressive from the silence perspective.
    At 250W, the VX PSU is pretty much at the ambient noise level, the Silencer will be at least 6dB above it. The HX will continue to be around the 22dB mark right up until the 350W mark. Even At 450W, the HX only produces around 36dB.
    In short, for my PC and in fact most people's PCs, both the VX and the HX Corsair will be pretty much silent, whereas the PCP&C Silencer will be making quite a lot of noise.

4. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

I just noticed this about the PCP&C test...
    Kind of makes the PCP&C comparison numbers useless...the room where they took the measurement was already at 30db...that makes all these comparisons pointless...All I can tell you is in real world application the PCP&C unit is quiet...I am going to pickup a Corsair and will test them side by side...I bet there is very little difference in noise output under everyday conditions...

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As mentioned, if you get a Corsair, get the HX, that's the truly quiet unit. Also make your test fair by keeping the ambient noise level below 30dB (that's not always as easy as it sounds)

6. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

I will simply run them side by side in my 2 Antec 1035 cases...same number and model of fans...only difference between the 2 is a Intel vs an AMD...I have a good enough ear to tell if there is much of a difference...I expect the Corsair to be quieter...but not by much...I was planning on buying a Corsair to replace my OCZ in my HTCP case...I was not planning on the HX...I do not need or want modular cables or multiple rails...It will be a TX or VX...Sorry...

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Any corsair should be quieter than an OCZ unit I expect. Besides, in an HTPC none of the units should be stressed sufficiently to rise above minimum noise level. You should be pleased with any of the units. The VX is at least as quiet as the HX for lower power usage, so go with that. I don't know how quiet the TX is at low loads, but I expect 650W would be major overkill for HTPC needs anyway.

8. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Its not so much the noise its the Led fan...I want to eliminate the Blue Glow...and my case needs a bottom mount fan...so...No PCP&C P/S...case is a CM282 turned to HTCP configuration...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119131

Will probably get the VX-520...don't need anything bigger...If I do go bigger it would be for future upgrade ability...

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Stick with the 450W version then, I think theres only a 450 and 550 version of the VX.

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

sorry i havent responded since my last post. been busy with the family..

if i get the cosair P/S is 550w enough for what im building? i only have the 2 optical drvies(ide) when i go to get 3 or 4 sata drives will the 550w bee enough? nt that im gonna be burning on all 4 drives at once(but beleive me i will at least once with overburn and @ 20x)lmao... see what yu done to me greensman..lol

i think the total amount im gonna have is $775 to spend. 75 of it being a gift card to bestbuy. so i might have to go there and get a HDD maybe i dont know...

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Anybody else having problems getting to Newegg.com

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

YES and it's driving me insane!!! Some other sites are doing the same thing. Like SuperMediaStore.....ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrr

...gm

13. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

VERY heavy traffic, tigerdirect was the same way.

14. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Its Cyber Monday...

15. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I can't get to Newegg either. Getting a HTTP 400 Bad Request error page.

The first of three orders from Newegg has arrived :D

BTW the Thermaltake 750 PSU looks great. It comes with what looks like a noise/vibration absorbing gasket. I haven't seen those before.

edit: The newegg site is up now.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Frank: I have the exact same 750W Thermaltake. The silicone bracket did absolutely nothing for me, but hey, it doesn't really cause much vibration, it's just an unpleasant sounding fan. Not that noisy (not at minimum speed anyway) but it has a papery ticking noise to it...

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe, a Steel Full Tower size case, that's going to weigh an absolute ton!

19. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@abuzar1
    It looks nice...I am not sure about some of its cooling principles...Sam would like it...It is reported to be very Quiet...

The case Deadrum33 got the Thermaltake Armour is probably the best deal right now...Insane Cooling and tons of 3.5 bays...Great for a server case...Lots of room to work in...It has a big rebate...if you can wait to get your cash back...it is a Great Deal...$69 after a $80 rebate...At Newegg...

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, if it's like most coolermaster cases, the fans will be quiet, but will push hardly any air, so you have to have lots of them for the PC to stay cool enough. Fortunately with 4 of them I think you might survive...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.