1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't think Coolermaster PSUs are that great to be honest. The Corsair ones are certainly a lot better, so if you can afford it, get one of those.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

So any tips? I have 800, and I'm lazy lol.

3. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Oh quick question, when i put my build together i just get say a vista disc and pop that in and then config the bios to load the cd/dvd drive first and away i go?
    I did this with my friends laptop and it worked good, got the "press a key to boot from cd/dvd"

The voltages etc on the ram/processor are fine at the start aswell with no modification needed to run?

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

yeah that's all there is too it. why vista? personally I think vista sucks. I would use XP Pro as the OS. check your temps and voltages etc. while your in the bios prior to loading the OS.

5. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Rob
    That was the case I recommended...but not the combo...it was $69.99 with a $40 rebate...$29.99 total after rebate...

That deal is now over...

The case I would recommend now is this...
    Enermax ECA3052-B Chakra Mid Tower Case (Black) Openbox $46.74
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=270413-OP

They have sold out except for this open box...it is the same price as the unopened after rebate...not sure about Openbox...I would call them and see what there Openbox policy is...as long as it is not damaged it should not really matter...

@Deadrum
    Look at the HD2600XT cards as well...they are designed for playback of HD and Blueray Video...or the HD3870 or HD3850...as sam recommended...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

How about this?

Click here to go to wish list.
    I need suggestions on the PSU. Don't worry about the video card, I have my way of getting those...

7. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@abuzar1
    If the armour is the case for you I would check around...someone else besides Newegg had it for $69 after rebate...I do not believe you will ever see it cheaper then that deal...I admit I had never really looked at that case before Deadrum33 bought it...I was impressed to say the least...you got a hell of a deal Deadrum33...

Abuzar1...Frys has it...if you want it for that price...PM me and I will show you how to get it...there is a trick to it...$80 rebate starting today...ending December 12...If you want to take advantage of the trick...do it today...it will probably not be available tomorrow...$149.99 with a $80 rebate...

Deadrum33...I would turn that 939 into a HTCP build...It will work for that...I have one my self...By the way How much are you renting that extra space in your case for?...LOL...:)

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I PM'ed you. BTW any suggestions on the PSU. Also my local sourced don't hve any video cards in right now, so I might need help on that. I thinking either 8800GT, or HD3870.

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok im showing my lack of knowledge here. what is a HTCP build? i have heard that alot lately the more i have been looking into my build????

on the towers im looking at some have 2 120mm fans. 1 in the front and 1 in the rear. intake and exhaust i guess.. do i want a tower with both these fans(i would think so) or should i get a tower with only 1???

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

That's like a media center.

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

rob,

I would stick with corsair. here's some more corsair DDR2 6400 memory to consider.

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

rob,

if that is the case you like newegg has it without a p/s for $29.99 after a $40 MIR. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137 it doesn't show the MIR there but go back to all CM cases w/o p/s and it does. notice that that particular case doesn't haveany front openings for a 3.5" drive/floppy.

you could then go with one of these p/s's for only $30 - $65 more depending on which p/s you decide to go with.

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@mort81

i seen that also but in the specification on that tower it says it has 1 external 3.5bay.

Model
    Brand COOLER MASTER
    Model RC-690-KKN1-GP
    Spec
    Type ATX Mid Tower
    Color Black
    Case Material SECC/ ABS
    With Power Supply No
    Power Supply No
    Motherboard Compatibility ATX, m-ATX
    With Side Panel Window No
    Expansion
    External 5.25" Drive Bays 5
    External 3.5" Drive Bays 1
    Internal 3.5" Drive Bays 5
    Expansion Slots 7
    Front Ports
    Front Ports 2 x USB2.0 ; 2 x Audio ; 1 x IEEE1394 ; 1 x e-SATA
    Cooling System
    80mm Fans No
    120mm Fans 1 x 120mm Blue LED front fan
    1 x 120mm rear fan
    1 x 120mm side fan
    Side Air duct No
    Physical Spec
    Dimensions 20.7" x 8.4" x 19"
    Features
    Features Accommodates up to seven 120 mm fans for high-efficiency ventilation
    Removable HDD racks provide for easy assembly
    Cable management design for better cable routing and neatness
    Tool-free user-friendliness for quick maintenance and upgrade
    Roomy interior supports NVIDIA G80 SLI configuration

does it make any difference if the PSU is at the top or bottom? are the cables long enough to reach stuff with it at the bottom?

edit to add:
    yep i just looked at it in more detail it has a converter sheild for the floppy. which i plan on getting a mem card reader for it..

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I've never used a case with the p/s on the bottom but it shouldn't matter as most quality p/s's should have long enough cabling. yeah, now that you mention it, I did notice the 3.5" drive bay adaptor plate.

what is the most you are willing to spend for a case? I'll do some shopping as maybe some others here will also. what about gpu? how much on it? do you do any/much gaming?

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

Mort the MIR on that case ended the 28th. :( I checked it out earlier and the rebate center indicated as such.

Rob if you're gonna buy in a couple of weeks I would wait until then to make my decisions. If you can buy some of the stuff now then I would get the stuff with the deepest discounts now. As you know there will be more sales later and it depends on what component you wanna save on at the time. ;) I hate MIR but if you get your money they're great and really worth the hassle really. I know that a few guys here deal with them, Lp531, Mort81, and greensman (lol) to name a few. :D

If you plan on doing ZERO gaming then the card you chose should work just fine. All you want it for is watching video. ;) NOW if you wanna do some gaming then you have to step up your choice and therefore put out significantly MORE money.

ON RAM I would get the best deal available at the time. Corsair seems inexpensive right now but the Crucial RAM is good too. I would even look at G.Skill or OCZ as well. I think these guys have told you to go with 4.4.4.12 timing RAM if you can. All the makers I mentioned have that available. As you've read I'm sure if you have good components except for RAM then you can almost write of OC'ing. I know you wanna do some of that cause you're like the rest of us....CURIOUS... :)...so get GOOD RAM you cheap SOB....hehehe...j/k buddy. I'm cheap too......

....gm

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

I like the HD3870 for some reason. :)

P/S........there are so many... :p

SeaSonic M12 SS-600HM

SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-550HT

CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX

COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-650

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610

Thermaltake W0106RU

SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-650HT

CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX

Just a few that I would use or would recommend for use. ;)

...gm

18. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Rob
    Essentially No Difference in performance...The only difference in spec's between the Crucial & the Corsair was voltage...which the Corsair was 2.1...to Crucials 2.2...

I believe Zipzoomfly has a better deal then either of these right now...on the Crucial...Cheaper before...and after Rebate...

HTCP is a computer media center...basically turning a computer into a DVR...or TIVO...you can record your TV shows onto hard drive...to watch..or burn to disk...

Buy a HD/Blueray drive and you have both formats...

@Mort & Rob the rebate at Newegg on the CM case expired yesterday...

Rob on the video card...If the HTCP style of computer is something you are considering then I would look at a HD2600XT card...would give you the HD TV playback...which is coming right around the corner for all TV stations...Feb 2009...plus the above mentioned HD/Blueray if you add a combo drive...the only other component you would then need is a Video Capture Card...and you would have a HTCP build...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

edit: nevermind, sale at SVC over too.

20. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Edited due to mort's post...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.