1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well its a toss up for me on this i have narrowed it down to these 2 PSU's

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817171023

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139001

these arent real cheap but they are about the best buy for there size. maybe at another site you might find them cheaper..

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I've done a couple of Antec Sonata builds which come with a 500 Watt Earthwatts power supply.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007 $78.99 + Free Shipping.
    It is a very quiet power supply, they run cool in the Sonata case.
    Specs for both PCs are:
    EVGA 650i mobo
    2 Gb Corsair C5D or Patriot memory
    E6750 Cpu
    320GB WD HDD
    Radeon 1950 Pro video card
    Sata DVD ROM
    Sata Burner
    Sound card
    Floppy

It's a plain vanilla PSU manufactured by Seasonic. I'd buy one if I were on a budget. 500 Watts is enough for a single mid-range video card and typical CPU/mobo/optical drive set up.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

5. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

On the Rosewill...50% gave it a 1/5...that should tell you something...

@Rob and Abuzar1
    This is about as cheap as you should go on P/S...Its Not that much more compared to those other ones...you will never regret buying it...
    It will actually pay for it self in electrical savings...due to its efficiency...

Sam...Its sold out a Newegg...but available at Zipzoomfly...
    CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W Active Power Supply Retail
    $90.90 ($75.90 after $15 MIR)
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10006757&prodlist=yahoo

If you just really can not justify or afford to spent that much go with this...

COOLER MASTER eXtreme RP-500-PCAR ATX from factor 12V V2.01 500W Power Supply 110 - 115V/220 - 230V Nemko, TUV, cUL, CE, BSMI, FCC, CCC - Retail
    $39.99 ***Free 3 Business Day Shipping***No hassle with rebates...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171018

***EVEN CHEAPER***
    http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=4186503&JRSource=googlebase.datafeed.CM+RP500PCAR
    $39.99 with $20 Rebate $19.99 ***FREE SHIPPING*** No tax except in NY

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

thanks, might go with the cooler master

7. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

I picked 1 up at that price...could not resist...$39.00 out the door...the Free Shipping & No Tax was the Clincher...saved 7.5% just because of that...with the $20 Rebate...a No Brainier...

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

39 bucks wow.. but didnt someone say ya get what ya pay for???lol just jokeing guys. think im gonna go with this one.
    Cooler master real power

i have the cash to get a better one like this so i might as well and not regret it down the line..

also im going with the CM rc690 case. the more i look at that case the ore i like it... i did see some of them cases with clear side panels with the cool lights in them they caught my eye too..lol

that case has 3 120mm fans in it thats a good thing for sure do i or will i need any more than that? 1 front fan 1 side fan and 1 in the rear to suck out the heat. is that plenty enough?

this case also has a side vent duct id say for the CPU. with that big artic freezer 7 cooler im getting will this be in the way of it?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Three 120mm fans is plenty, as long as they're in the right place and spin fast enough.

10. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Rob
    For that price...that Cooler Master P/S is a Rip-Off compared to the Corsair...I would not even consider that Cooler Master P/S for a $109...You will regret the purchase...I am just telling you that Straight-up...You will love that Corsair...I Wish I had one...

Did you buy the CM-690 case?...It will hold 7 120mm fans...Here is a Good deal on Fans...I just picked-up 8 myself...
    http://www.svc.com/r4-s2s-124k-gp.html

or these if you want LED...
    http://www.svc.com/r4-l2s-122b-gp.html

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

At 1200rpm those fans will be relatively quiet, but not silent.
    As for the Corsair PSU I strongly recommend it over any Coolermaster.

12. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

The Corsair hands down...
    I picked-up the CM for a $300 build...for a recently disabled friend...Its got to be dirt cheap on everything...with the No Tax...Free Ship...thats what made it such a good deal...I can wait for the rebate and pass the P/S to my friend for $20 cash...

The CM P/S is Good for a low budget build...

The Corsair is Great for a performance OC'able build...

@sam
    On any of my builds I put in a fan controller...I would be run those about 900 rpm...they would be basically silent...

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ROTFLMAO

you guys have done it again made me change my mind on something else..lol corsair PSU it is then..lol

no i havent gotten the tower yet but it is the one im going with. like i siad it has 3 fans with it. im assumeing they are allready in place correct or do i need to put them in when i get the tower?
    would i need any more than these 3 fans?

as far as OCing goes at first im not gonna do nothing to it other than put it together and see if it works? gotta build some confidence you know what i mean..

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

damn the mem is not on sale now.. good thing im not buying today..lol this waiting stuff is killing me. feel like im 16 again waiting to get my driver liscence..lol

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

16. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Rob, one thing I do is to download the manuals for the mobo and case and look them over. That's something to do while waiting.
    Also, once you make the purchase, download the rebate forms and get them started. Don't cut out the UPC from the component box or package until you get the PC up and running.
    Newegg, etc won't like refunding your money for a bad part if it's missing from the box.

Do you have everything you need for your build? Tools? Thernal compound? The cooler you are getting may come with some.

I'm starting my Phenom build as soon as I'm done here. I'll post a couple of pictures later.

17. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hiper PSUs are well built units although they're far from quiet at heavy loads. Trouble is though, I'd sooner have a Corsair and they're cheaper than most of the Hipers I think.

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

sammorris..SORRY did not know that..Their was one mentioned earlier that was a single pole,that was recommended. Thought this was it

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

no i dont have any of the thermal compond yet. i will order some when i make my order in the next 2 weeks. when you sat tools what exactly do you mean/need? i have small tools screwdrivers ect...

and thanks for the info on the UPC and the guides. seeing i know for sure on the case and mobo i can DL those guides/maunals and read up on them so it aint a shock to me when i get the parts here. plus if i have a question i can ask here in advance of getting ym parts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.