1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

the hiper p/s I had died after about 6 months. the only way to warrent them is to seend them to england where they are made (that's overseas if you live in the states). I don not recommend them. replaced it with a corsair 620HX which I do highly recommend.

2. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Sam & Mort thanks for the info, guess the Corsairs are the way to go from your recommendations, now to find a deal on 4 of them since these Ultras arent what I thought and bought them before I started reading this and the other thread. Hey Rob what OS you putting on Chris
    Edit damn Ms keyboard don't know How to spell.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@chris

going with Win XP PRO i hope..lol no vista for me.. at least not in the next year or so.

i havent gotten that far yet to be honest.. not thinking about the OS.

hopeing i dont have to buy another OS. i have the one for my HP system now but it is on the 11 recovery disc i have. some people say i can use them and install on my new clean sata HDD and some say i can use them?? so i dont know as of yet

4. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Cincy you'll probably have to deal with MS to try and get another key since your changing the Mobo or have to buy another XP. I'm sending you a pm. Chris

5. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@abuzar1
    The CM will work...You can get it for even less...here...
    ***EVEN CHEAPER***
    COOLER MASTER eXtreme RP-500-PCAR ATX from factor 12V V2.01 500W Power Supply 110 - 115V/220 - 230V Nemko, TUV, cUL, CE, BSMI, FCC, CCC - Retail
    http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?...ed.CM+RP500PCAR
    $39.99 with $20 Rebate $19.99 ***FREE SHIPPING*** No tax except in NY...

If you have the extra cash in the budget...or you are going to OC heavily...or run for long hours each day...I would go with the Corsair...that is a really good price on the Corsair...and it has 41 honest amps on the 12v rail...It is the best buy on a High Performance P/S right now...and it is extremely quiet...

@Rob
    Good Choice on the P/S...Cooler Master makes some great Products...unfortunately their P/S are not...all that good...they work ...they just do not provide the Stablest of Rails...and are Noisy...

SVC.com has some good sales this weekend only...

COOLER MASTER RP-600-PCAR EXTREME POWER 600W SLI READY ATX12V 2.0 POWER SUPPLY
    $49.99 with $40 rebate...$9.99
    http://www.svc.com/rp-600-pcar.html

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

check out these specials at SVC:

COOLER MASTER RC-632-SSN1-GP SILVER MYSTIQUE 632 ALUMINUM MID TOWER ATX CASE http://www.svc.com/rc-632-ssn1-gp.html $99.95

COOLER MASTER RC-632-KKN1-GP BLACK MYSTIQUE 632 ALUMINUM MID TOWER ATX CASE http://www.svc.com/rc-632-kkn1-gp.html $99.95

COOLER MASTER RC-830-KKN2-GP BLACK STACKER 830 EVO ALUMINUM FULL TOWER ATX & BTX CASE http://www.svc.com/rc-830-kkn1-gp.html 139.99 after $60 MIR

COOLER MASTER RC-830-SSN2-GP STACKER 830 EVO ALUMINUM FULL TOWER ATX & BTX CASE http://www.svc.com/rc-830-ssn2.html $139.99 after $60 MIR

that is the best price I have ever seen on a STACKER 830 EVO case. if I was doing a build, that is definately what I would go with. I'm very tempted anyway.

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Incredible deal on the 830 Stacker....

If I was to buy another Cooler Master P/S I would go with the Real Power Pro series. More stable and much better reviews. I have the CM 500W P-CAR (eXtreme) P/S and I'm not very impressed really. It's not a piece of junk but it is a little loud and the voltages run a little under what I would like to see them. ;)

abuzar PM me on the CM P/S if you like but there are "better" ones out there for NOT much more $$$. :)

....gm

Great P/S for the money.
    ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT

Some other good P/S with MIR or IR. ;)
    Thermaltake Purepower W0129RU ATX12V 600 W

SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-550HT

COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro 550

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

[​IMG]

Here's some deals from SVC. Good company as far as my dealings go. Great deals for the Real Power Pro series. ;)

...gm

SVC link

SVC Cooler Master link

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I do actually plan on overclocking HEAVILY, and running for long hours.

GM, I think I like that Thermaltake PSU you posted. How is it?

10. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@abuzar1
    Then look for the largest and most efficient P/S...of the P/S that Greenie posted...the Seasonic is the most efficient...

The thermaltake is 600w but only has (2) 12v 18amp rails...the seasonic is 550w but has (4) 12v 18amp rails...the Seasonic is actually a more powerful P/S then the thermaltake...Even the 500w Enermax (2) 22amp 12v rails is in actuality a larger P/S then the thermaltake...

I still say the Corsair is your best choice...but obviously there is something that you do not like about it...so I will quite pushing you towards it...

What is it that you are looking for in a P/S?...

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

OC'ers forum test of CM-550 Real Power Pro

abuzar I don't know much about the Thermaltake that you can't read on your own. I'm not real impressed with the reviews but you know how those can be. You might ask sammorris or maybe he'll throw in his 2 cents. ;)

The Enermax I linked you to is GOOD too. It all depends on how far you're gonna push your system. I don't think you need that much power if you're not gonna run SLi and a bunch of other components. I think that sammorris has touched on this before.

I know that you wanna get a good deal but don't go CHEAP. I haven't said this in a while and it should be said again so we all hear it again. lol. It's better to buy once than 2 or 3 times. :S

....gm

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You have no idea how many times I HAVE said that. I keep on telling people don't skimp on the PSU, and here I am wanting to make that same mistake.

Ok so here is what I want. I don't want to buy crap, and also don't want to spend too much. What would be the BEST PSU for me for the price. You guys already know what parts I am gonne run, and also since I havent metioned video card I'm getting a 3870 or 8800gt.

13. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

The reason for going bigger then you need is Heat...if you are running close to the edge in power consumption...you are also running close to the edge in Heat output...

The cooler the P/S is...the more efficient it is...thats why some P/S manufacturer's...test there P/S in room temperatures that are unrealistically LOW for the real world...and get way over inflated results...

Its just like OCing your CPU...If you want to get the highest OC...you freeze the CPU...Just as Heat is the Principal Limiting Factor in OCing a CPU...it is also the Principal Limiting Factor in Power Output of a P/S...

HEAT IS THE ENEMY..:)

And the Light Bulb Finally Comes On...LOL..:)...at least the P/S to your brain is still working..:) just teasing ya...

The Corsair for $75...at ZZF...
    CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W Active Power Supply Retail
    $90.90 ($75.90 after $15 MIR)
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10006757

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  14. greensman

greensman Regular member

Link to the "specs" for the CM-650W Real Power Pro. Had to find a review for this. :)

abuzar I think this P/S (CM-650W Real Power Pro) blows away the Thermaltake. The Thermaltake is a good deal for a "name brand" but not the best p/s out there. ;)

Lp531 good points as usual buddy. :D

...gm

15. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Maybe my New Slogan should be...

HEAT IS THE ENEMY..}:)

Heat really is the #1 Enemy of Electronics...

Heat=Resistance...
    Resistance Kills Efficiency...
    Cool=Efficient...

That is why I Rate the PC Power & Cooling...P/S's...So High...and Why I Push them So Much here in the Forums...

16. hydro_x86

hydro_x86 Member

Hey everybody. I am in the process of building a new computer. You guys seem to know quite a bit about pc hardware, and I had some questions I would like to settle before making the decision to purchase anything, mostly revolving around CPU/Mobo.

I will mainly be using this computer for web design and programming, so I'm not looking for hardware that will give me killer frame rates and stuff like that. I am basically looking for stability, and excellent multi-tasking. So for this build I was thinking about using a multi-core system and go 64-bit. Does anybody have some advice about which processor and motherboard to purchase? Here is the processor I was about to buy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

As for a motherboard, I was not really sure. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My only request is that it is an Asus or other reputable name, I've always just purchased from Asus and have had minimal problems.

Also is there anything on a processor or motherboard that I should just make sure it has when buying now?

Any comments or feedback would really help me out. I made the mistake of not asking around for my last computer, picked out some stuff that really wasn't what I needed. Thanks a lot everybody.

17. hydro_x86

hydro_x86 Member

I forgot to add this in my last reply, but does anybody know a good place to look for cases?

Anywhere I find seems to have nothing but gamer cases with blue leds shining everywhere. Don't get me wrong I like that look, my last computer was like this, this time I'm trying to go a more professional business-like route. A nice matte black with some nice styling maybe?

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Read the reviews of the Corsair PSUs in detail Lp, they don't get any hotter than the PCP&C units...
    Hydro: For web design anr programming, the Q6600 is likely to be overkill for your needs. Unless you do video editing, I don't really recommend Quad cores to anyone right now.
    As for the motherboard, I use one of these and am very happy with it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128048
    For the case, how about something like this?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119074

19. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@sam
    Which review?...

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

SilentPCreview for one, and I think PC Perspective cover temps too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.