1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Wait I'll post one with chicks soon. They are much cuter anyway.

2. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Just confirmation, that Antec Ultimate gamers case means that my 3870 will occupy 2 ports at the back?

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's true of any case.

4. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

[​IMG]

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, hat's off that's probably the biggest Owl medley I've ever seen. Not exactly on topic though, eh?

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i just got back from microcenter looking around... they have alot of my stuff right there and some of it is cheaper.. the CM rc690 tower was there for $69 with a $30 mib so im getting it there.. that tower is sweet plus it is huge... it sat next to the antec 900.(your box aint it scott?) that box is as big as a house itself.. that fan on top of it looks like it belongs in my window cooling me off..lol

they have the CPU for the same price. memory is 20bucks moreso newegg on that.

i have changed my mind on the MOBO. instead of the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35

im going with this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128048

10 bucks cheaper at microcenter and no S/H.
    a little more than the first board but the money i save at microcenter it is still in my budget...lol

what do you guys think of this other MOBO?

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's the one I use, and it's absolutely brilliant. Good choice.

8. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Hey rob i'm heading there Saturday.Was there any deals on PSU's?

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i didnt get that far into looking at them.. i was over whelm'd by them monster azz towers..lol but in there ad there were alot of PSU's there on sale. but as i said i didnt get to look at them/...

@Sammorris

so that mobo is a much better one than my first choice? everything hook up ok with any thing special to it?

edit to add this

after reading some replys from people about this MOBO kinda scares me as to if its a good choice for me or not???
    listening to you guys about OCing stuff has got my mind a running a hundred MPH. with things to do..lol heck i just want the stuff in my hands to do the intial build

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You don't need to worry about overclocking. Just think of it as a privilege that if you ever want to do it, the P35C-DS3R's an excellent board to do it with. The installation of the whole board is simple and easy.

11. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Tonight I won approval for my New House plans from the City Council...the only thing my neighbors can do now is Sue the City...
    So now I get to finally build my one finger salute to neighbors...My New House...
    They are now going to have the pleasure of Look-up to it...Every Single Day...and Night...with all the exterior lighting I am going to install..}:)

@Rob
    It is not the best OC'er of the GA-P35 boards...but...It is the most future proof...it has support for DDR2 as well as DDR3...It is a very good board...it is the one I choose for a build for one of my best friends...he probably will not build another system for 4 to 5 years...so...I wanted something that he could do occasional future upgrades to...Like Penryn...DDR3...

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol at long last! 'Grats Lp!

13. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

I was just wondering, why don't we just make a sticky thread with a good pc with alot of bite for buck(performance, compatibility etc)

For example, say my system im building gave the best peroformance for a machine in peoples price range(on average) I could take notes, pics at every single stage detailing what i did and took the "technical" aspect out of it for people less confident on building. This would cut down on people choosing crap components etc. And we could measure performance with benchmarks just to show potential buyers what the pc can do before they build.

14. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

I think that's a great idea. I know plenty of people (including myself) that would benefit from that.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think that's a brilliant idea too, make a few at different budget points.

16. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Good to see i am of use and not just on here bombarding the veterans with questions 24/7 :p

Sam, good idea about the different price levels. Id say £500-£600
    £600-800 £900+

This may be old, but this lets you see what i would achieve.

http://www.corsair.com/systembuild/report.aspx?report_id=78237

Each step clearly analysed and reviewed.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

only problem with that is technology is continually improving and what is "the best bang for the buck" today doesn't hold true very long. take the E6600 for example. it was without question the best bang for the buck but now you can pick up an E6750 for even less money.

18. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Very true but thats why we will try to "futureproof" the choices. I mean if we put in an ATI Radeon 3870, it aint gonna be obsolete until a few years...........hopefully

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think a few years is optimistic at best. Whilst that card would suffice for gaming for that length of time, it would cease to be a realistic card for a new build after a much shorter time than that. Typically high end graphics cards get withdrawn from sale after around a year to be superceded by something else. I've not seen an X1900XT or X1900XT-X around for sale for ages, neither have I seen a 7900GTX, or a 7800GTX for that matter. Even the old 8800GTS is probably going to disappear soon in favour of its faster G92 counterpart.

20. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

True, but we have the people here to make the build top class. People here are always putting in new parts, it won't take too much effort to just change the parts in the description of what is used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.